• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 509 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

baraba

BANNED
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:
They were first and foremost about team work. One for all, and all for one. Communication. Not being macho, but able to express oneself to the others on the team honestly.
There are other ways of developing and showing unity if that's the goal... Agriculture, chorus...
Military discourse sends clear PR message.
Do you even know what philosophy and values Bjarne founded the team on?
Ah... philosophy, values... Favorite narrative of PR personnel.
I'd love if you stayed around here a little longer, or came back again, so you'd be able to educate yourself :)
Nice spin, but in wrong spirit.

Netserk said:
They were first and foremost about team work. One for all, and all for one. Communication. Not being macho, but able to express oneself to the others on the team honestly

i don't find those survival camps necessary at all. a team can work without them and saxo did fine without those things...very overrated

also bjarne's book which i read it all(600 pages!) was the most boring book i've read in my entire life and i won't recommend it to anyone to do it

one of the most atrocious things i've read in my entire life time:

Ivan Basso, our new Italian star, looked petrified as he stood at the top of the cliff preparing to jump down into the sea as part of our 36-hour survival camp. BS, who had organised the exercise, tried to calm him down. “Just trust us,” he told Basso. But the Italian was genuinely worried. “It’s just that I can’t swim,” he said. At first, we thought that maybe we’d misunderstood Ivan’s English, but no, he couldn’t swim. It took courage for our new captain to reveal one of his weaknesses. Despite the risk of losing face with his new team-mates, who he barely knew, he admitted that he’d never learnt to swim and that he was terrified of water. And then he jumped. At that point, I could tell that we’d found ourselves a true star and a real leader. He was clearly a man who dared to be who he was, who was honest, and who wanted to communicate in order for the team to function properly.

one of his weaknesses ???are you fuccin kiddin me? he wants to win tour day fuccin france not swim with phelps and thorpe! even walsh's papillot jaune and jesus-barabas was better than this shiit

still can't believe i've read that whole thing.

baraba said:
There are other ways of developing and showing unity if that's the goal... Agriculture, chorus...
Military discourse sends clear PR message.

So you haven't seen anything from the training camps at all.

Then why did you talk about it, as if you knew anything? Too obvious a question I guess :p

My best guess is you can't speak Danish, so even if I linked to videos from the BS time, you wouldn't be able to educate yourself :eek:

jens_attacks said:
i don't find those survival camps necessary at all. a team can work without them and saxo did fine without those things...very overrated

also bjarne's book which i read it all(600 pages!) was the most boring book i've read in my entire life and i won't recommend it to anyone to do it

Ivan Basso, our new Italian star, looked petrified as he stood at the top of the cliff preparing to jump down into the sea as part of our 36-hour survival camp. BS, who had organised the exercise, tried to calm him down. “Just trust us,” he told Basso. But the Italian was genuinely worried. “It’s just that I can’t swim,” he said. At first, we thought that maybe we’d misunderstood Ivan’s English, but no, he couldn’t swim. It took courage for our new captain to reveal one of his weaknesses. Despite the risk of losing face with his new team-mates, who he barely knew, he admitted that he’d never learnt to swim and that he was terrified of water. And then he jumped. At that point, I could tell that we’d found ourselves a true star and a real leader. He was clearly a man who dared to be who he was, who was honest, and who wanted to communicate in order for the team to function properly.

one of his weaknesses ???are you fuccin kiddin me? he wants to win tour day fuccin france not swim with phelps and thorpe! even walsh's papillot jaune and jesus-barabas was better than this shiit

ofc it was all PR (and it worked extremely well here in Denmark)

According to the Rasmussen book (you'll like that one Jens) Nygaard also hated the training camps.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
baraba said:
A team building conceptualized around military discourse sends a clear PR message. No matter how protagonists behave.
And that's the problem with the latest PR approach - we have well known, already established, characters, built through the years and situations, who should now play something they've never played and, even worse, never were.
As if you'd to put Marlon Brando in a Peter Sellers' movie. It simply doesn't fit.

OMG, You clearly have no idea what the team camps where all about.
As a dane with the danish mentality I can assure you there have been no military attend, it was team building and bonding, teaching people to work together and go past their limits, discover new sides of them selves.
And guess what, they had a blast doing it, just because BS both is a former Ranger and jæger soldat, which is equal to a Navy seal didnt mean the camps were military disciplined or run as such, course they werent. He just used his experience and knowledge to start up a business.
Nothing have changed in how the team are working, same camps (until 2010, now its just another setup), same purpose. Get your facts straight, troll.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

It wasnt about swimming it was about getting out of your comfort zone and cope with it with it.

A lot of companies and football teams fx do camps like that in order to promote team spirit and coorperation. Its not new and its not brain science, but it often does work.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Gentle(wo)men start your engine! Algarve is around the corner. Alberto has a pretty good track with this race. Hopefully he can add 1 more win. Go Alberto and Majka!

Roman is ready for OMAN. (Go Roman and Nicho!!)

Froome is also ready to start with gun blazing or maybe "more relax" gun blazing as he put it :D
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...f-Oman-gunning-for-strong-overall-result.aspx

If he can win like last year with what he call 'relax'.. ow boy..

finally after seeing pictures of training.. now we finally can see the actions! camera rolling... action :D

jens_attacks said:

This so much. I would be so ****ed if I joined a team and the first thing I had to do was not ride, but balance on a log or whatever ****ty things they do on those "teambuilding" camps.

His most recent pic is only from a week ago. I wouldn't expect miracles between then and Algarve, but anyway:

34zyd15.jpg

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador Feb 8

Hard and complet training finished.Now it's time for Spanish siesta! :) pic.twitter.com/B5ksj8onc7

Compare that to the Contador of 4 years ago

23wwcg4.jpg

2010 Tour of Algarve

LaFlorecita said:
Tut tut ;)

In that first pic he's wearing a long-sleeved jersey with a rather loose fit, and in that pic he's leading the 2008 Vuelta ;) it says so on the jersey :p

Ah. Yes. ****. :) Maybe it's not so bad then.

He used to win stage races when other (lesser) riders were in better shape, though. I suppose it will be a very good sign if he can beat either Costa or Kwiatkowski. But I don't see anyone else on the start list that he shouldn't be able to beat, if his form is only "good". This race should suit him really well. I don't think the same can be said for Martin.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Ah. Yes. ****. :) Maybe it's not so bad then.

He used to win stage races when other (lesser) riders were in better shape, though. I suppose it will be a very good sign if he can beat either Costa or Kwiatkowski. But I don't see anyone else on the start list that he shouldn't be able to beat, if his form is only "good". This race should suit him really well. I don't think the same can be said for Martin.

Yes it would be a very good sign, but if he doesn't beat them it wouldn't be a bad sign. I certainly don't expect him to beat them. I think many people on here have unrealistic expectations. You can't expect him to win after last year.

TRENDING THREADS