• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 538 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
So Contador was 6 seconds slower than Quintana on the first part and 3 seconds faster on the second part.

Considering Contador seemed to be trying to adjust his skinsuit at the start, maybe that is related to the time loss.

The skinsuit thing looked so weird, was it too small?
Not a great TT at all, this was only 9 km.

But a great win still.

peloton said:
The skinsuit thing looked so weird, was it too small?
Not a great TT at all, this was only 9 km.

It looked like it was uncomfortable on THAT area. IF there is something guaranteed to slow a man down, is being uncomfortable down there :p

Also Leader jersey's skinsuits are provided by the organization so that increases the likely of a problem.

Guess we need to wait and see what he has to say. Disappointing ITT. If he has no excuse he better put in some ITT work or Froome will take minutes there in the Tour. I have to say he looked good in the TT, none of that sliding back and forth on the saddle!

Great Overall Victory! He looked great on the climbs!!! ITT next :)

Kwibus said:
Also funny to add that De Jongh talked with Contador about training methods and nutrition during last years Spring classics. Contador wasn't open to change his methods back then. After a dissapointing season Contador contacted De Jongh directly in November to ask if he could help him with his training and nutrition. Riis agreed to the plans.

Nothing like reality letting you know that no, you in fact DO need some help. Glad he had the wherewithal to admit that

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I think he did not rode at 100%, so it's not really a good indication of his real tt qualities. But however, Froome will probarly get 1 / 1.30 minute in a TT of 40/50 k, so he has to work on it if he really wants to win the Tour.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Arredondo said:
I think he did not rode at 100%, so it's not really a good indication of his real tt qualities. But however, Froome will probarly get 1 / 1.30 minute in a TT of 40/50 k, so he has to work on it if he really wants to win the Tour.

Optimistic prediction. Based on last years form Froome would get more like 4 minutes.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I'm a happy girl :)
Great win.

I am too! :)

I said it was his time to shine and he did! Better than I had hope and it was magnificent to watch how much he improved - back to back stage wins and the overall; not bad at all. Hopefully he keeps working on the TT bike and we'll just have to wait and see what happens in Catalunya (and just hope for the best possible result from him).

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Optimistic prediction. Based on last years form Froome would get more like 4 minutes.

Purito lost 3.30 minutes last year, so you're way to pesimistic about Alberto's chances;)

Contador clearly has got better form then last year, and in 2009 he could even beat Cancellara in a Tour TT, so a loss of more then 2 minutes looks not real to me.

Arredondo said:
Purito lost 3.30 minutes last year, so you're way to pesimistic about Alberto's chances;)

Contador clearly has got better form then last year, and in 2009 he could even beat Cancellara in a Tour TT, so a loss of more then 2 minutes looks not real to me.

only because there was a Cat 3 climb in the middle of the course. If the ITT had been 50 meters longer, he would have lost (only won by 3"). It is entirely possible for Contador to lose 2 plus minutes to Froome over 53KM, especially if Froome is on his 2013 form.

BjBqZ-4CEAABLPW.jpg:large

Saxo playing down Catalunya......

Contador will race again in Catalunya
Next stage race for Tinkoff-Saxo will be Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, where Alberto Contador, once again will be in the line-up. This time though, the ambitions are a bit lower.

- Well, Alberto came to Tirreno in great shape. Now he will get some rest and then he’ll race again in Catalunya. But we don’t want to put too much pressure on him, and we also focus on big goals later in the season. But of course, if he’s good and don’t have to strain himself too much, a rider like Alberto is always among the favorites in a mountainous stage race, finishes Philippe Mauduit.

del1962 said:
I think sometimes when you have that lead like that, even though you want to test yourself, there is a psychological element that stops you from pushing yourself that little bit extra that you would do if you really needed the time.

Makes sense. Afterall, Froome at last years final TDF tt had a 5 minute lead over everyone else, the gc in the bag and came, errr 1st.

Ok ok, but Wiggins the year before had the gc easily in the bag, no mountain stages left, and came, errr 1st:confused:

But Contador at the 2011 Giro had a 6 minute lead on the final stage and celebrated the final km so that explains why he did so poorly and finished, umm, 3rd.

And what about Contador at the 2009 TDF, winning Anency with the gc in the bag.

Or Lance. He never did any good in any of the final TDF tts when he went into them with 5 minute advantages right:rolleyes:

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Alberto's weight

I am glad he has slimmed down to a more competitive weight. I felt he had some extra tubes in 2013, with rosy looking cheeks. But i wonder if Alberto has a history of weight issues? 2009 he was decently slim, not an LA or Froome skinny, Giro 2011 he was slim but not skinny. And he blew everyone aside. I wonder why the weight is now an issue and he must have also wondered about it too. I would saw this is the slimmest I have seen Alberto, not skinny bones like the LA or Froome which is a good thing. i consider such skinny as anemic and unhealthy as the skinny issue with models. I think perhaps in 2007 TDF, his younger days was he this slim.

jilbiker said:
I am glad he has slimmed down to a more competitive weight. I felt he had some extra tubes in 2013, with rosy looking cheeks. But i wonder if Alberto has a history of weight issues? 2009 he was decently slim, not an LA or Froome skinny, Giro 2011 he was slim but not skinny. And he blew everyone aside. I wonder why the weight is now an issue and he must have also wondered about it too. I would saw this is the slimmest I have seen Alberto, not skinny bones like the LA or Froome which is a good thing. i consider such skinny as anemic and unhealthy as the skinny issue with models. I think perhaps in 2007 TDF, his younger days was he this slim.

I'm going to assume you are under the age of say 30 and haven't experienced the slow down in metabolism that occurs. It gets harder and harder to keep weight off (or shed it) as you could when you were younger. This will continue to be a struggle for him going forward. Obviously it can be done, but it you usually takes a mental adjustment (acceptance)

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I noticed he tried out a (quite radical) different position compared to his TT in the Algarve (where he wasn't happy, but actually did well).

Algarve position

efeVaA2014st2.jpg

Tirreno position, which is lower.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/47...abbZKho/IoT8BymM2AH8Fcs6Otbm2KhgeT9K7SDv5XsU=

Since the start, all efforts and sweet words to no avail, he has been struggling with the Specialized TT bike. The bike he uses now, and all TCS riders use, is basically the same bike they made specially for him in 2010 TDF (which failed horribly, in any TT longer than a couple of km at least - since he did win the Dauphiné prologue but totally go down in the long TT).

It's essentially this bike.

tdf_2010_stage_19_contador-630x418.jpg

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Now.

WATSON_00003382-052-659x440.jpg

It's a different bike the other Specialized sponsored teams use, which seems to do a better job.

Tony Martin

Tirreno-Adriatico_7_etape_Tony_Martin_enkeltstart.jpg

Nibali
NibaliTimeTrial-620x410.jpg

Kwiatkowski
03-JAF_4002-640.jpg

I've asked the Specialized aero expert once what's the exact difference, and why Alberto (and his team) keep using this different bike. I never got an answer, but I'm afraid he's just stuck with it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
More to come? :D:D
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-contador-says-theres-more-to-come-after-tirreno-adriatico-win

Contador confidence is flying high now. That's what Froome didn't want to have last year. Confidence. You can't give confidence to someone like Contador. Because it's contagious and he is going be hard to contain. I'm keeping my hope in check now, until I see how he fares against Froome. And the fact that Froome has less racing miles, should at least an advantage for contador? *or not* :p