• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 541 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
True, I'm just saying it'll be hard for Contador to win ;)

Sky's TdF line up will be better than Tinko's!

Sky will have at least 2 guys according to the British press who are future GT winners in Thomas and Kennaugh.

It would be a real psychological boost to Alberto if he can get the better of Froome. However after a tough TA he may bounce a bit and his team isn't strong. Maybe he can beat him in a stage, podium the race and come out stronger.

Of course I'd love to see him leave Froome for dead but that is just wishful thinking I fear :)

The Hitch said:
Contadors tdf team is better only on paper. On the road the sky team might be better at every single position.

Sky's team might be better on the road.
If Contador's team is as strong as it was last year, and Contador is stronger(look's like he could be), then I think as a team they will be better. Sky definitely knows how to use their team to win, but so does Contador....he is a good tactician.

Jspear said:
Sky's team might be better on the road.
If Contador's team is as strong as it was last year, and Contador is stronger(look's like he could be), then I think as a team they will be better. Sky definitely knows how to use their team to win, but so does Contador....he is a good tactician.

He's not that great of a tactician

Contador tactics 101.

Step 1. Am i currently the number 1 in GC? if yes, proceed to step 2, if no, proceed to step 5.
Step 2. Am I the best climber in the race? If yes, proceed to step 5, if no, proceed to step 3.
Step 3. Do I have enough advantage for the tt's? If yes, proceed to step 5, if no, proceed to step 5.
Step 4. Ride defensively uphill.
Step 5. Attack on the finishing climb
Step 6. If step 5 doesn't give the lead, go on full kamikaze attack somewhere far from the finish line

Unfortunately the perhaps best Cosmo video ever is no longer up, but it was about the Mende finish in the 2010 Tour. The article is still up though, but it's clearly missing the great video.

http://cyclocosm.com/2010/07/if-all-you-have-is-a-hammer/

Ofc once his hammer was no longer good enough, he finally learned a different approach, and won the 2012 Vuelta in one of the most beautiful and brilliant ways ever.

Just imagine how much he could've won with the strength of the past and a racing brain like Vino's _O_

Red Rick said:

Contador tactics 101.

Step 1. Am i currently the number 1 in GC? if yes, proceed to step 2, if no, proceed to step 5.
Step 2. Am I the best climber in the race? If yes, proceed to step 5, if no, proceed to step 3.
Step 3. Do I have enough advantage for the tt's? If yes, proceed to step 5, if no, proceed to step 5.
Step 6. If step 5 doesn't give the lead, go on full kamikaze attack somewhere far from the finish line

Lol! Funny. What is wrong with attacking where ever he will get the best results? By good tactician I mean that he knows how to utilize his team, he knows when to attack, he constantly sizes up his opponents- trying to see what kind of pain they are in. He is a very dynamic rider.

metaCYCLE said:
it seems some people badly confuse tactics with panache.:confused:

I don't know if you are talking about me or not. But here are basic definitions for the two terms above:

Panache: Flamboyantly or stylishly confident behaviour; a manner marked by this
Tactics: The plans and procedure adopted to carry out a scheme or achieve an end. Also, a skilful device or skilful devices

Contador might have panache, but he is also a good tactician.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:

Contador tactics 101.

Gotta say, I approve of these tactics.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:

Contador tactics 101.

You forget one thing. In TA he didnt have to attack from far out. He was already the strongest climber and could have waited for the last mountain. He wanted to do something special eventhough he didnt have to.

Anyway, this is SKY's 101:

Step 1: Do we have the best climber, TTer and Team go to step 2, if not proceed to step 3
Step 2: Ride defensively and let the borg-train suck the live out of the race untill the last last 5ks, where our captain attacks. Also, go T1000-mode in TTs.
Step 3: Do we have the best TTer and the strongest team procced to step 4. If we do not have the strongest team proceed to step 5
Step 4: Let the borg-train suck the the live out of the race all the way to the finish live and go T1000-mode in the TTs
Step 5: If we have the strongest rider unhill and in TTs but NOT the strongest team go to step 6. If not go to step 7.
Step 6: Act as if you have the strongest team anyways and blow it up on the first mountain of the stage and let your sole superman handle the business on his own.
Step 7: If your your captain is the strongest TTer but NOT the strongest uphill and you do NOT have the strongest team. Go to step 8.
Step 8: This is not in the Sky-borg manual. Self-destruction will begin in T minus 10, 9, 8, 7.....

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
Jspear said:
I don't know if you are talking about me or not. But here are basic definitions for the two terms above:

Panache: Flamboyantly or stylishly confident behaviour; a manner marked by this
Tactics: The plans and procedure adopted to carry out a scheme or achieve an end. Also, a skilful device or skilful devices

Contador might have panache, but he is also a good tactician.

no mate it wasn't directed to anyone in particular. I was only pointing out that there were posts that judged tactical nous through an "aesthetic" lens and vice versa. ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
"My form from Tirreno is good and I hope to recuperate well these days. I was much more tired from the Tirreno than I would have thought."

He definitely went too deep on Lanciano. :( Ow well, we can't hope him to fly all the time you know.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I hope so... he did look well today :) time will tell

Nah Bertie is passed it. When the Sky train goes, Bertie will be out the back whilst his former useless domestique will be leading the Dawg to victory.

BYOP88 said:
Nah Bertie is passed it. When the Sky train goes, Bertie will be out the back whilst his former useless domestique will be leading the Dawg to victory.

art-porte_contador-420x0.jpg

Bertie thinking "damnit Bjarne buy me some better domestiques pronto"

Little did he know this guy would be in the top 5 climbers of the world 2 years later.

TRENDING THREADS