• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 572 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Riis says : i think this is the best i've seen him since he joined the team :

why does he say : i think :?
is it not easily measurable (with numbers)?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
_nm___ said:
Riis says : i think this is the best i've seen him since he joined the team :

why does he say : i think :?
is it not easily measurable (with numbers)?

It's just a comment i guess. Either he is trying to play down contador (hint: for something more to come) and keep the hype on Froome or he just cautiously optimistic with what he saw so far. Either way, I'm curious to see how Froome is doing in Romandie. We have seen how contador already.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
BmenBiZIQAAqyBF.jpg:large

:eek:

The more pictures I see of AC this year, the more I would get worried if I were SKY, here´s the newest one, the "ROCKY" look :cool: Froomey, be afraid, be very afraid!! :p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
How to you guys think the year will end up in terms of rating?

Contador, Froome (Let the battle begin). *****
Valverde (Better than ever? Might podium both Tour and Vuelta.) ****
Quintana **** (Not as superior start as the last year, but I he is going to dominate in both the Giro and the Vuelta. I'm pretty sure he will get his first GT victory this year.)
Purito *** (Strong start in Catalunya, the only one Contador has not been able to drop, but the crash has made his fate more uncertain, usually one of the best riders in the high mountains, so I don't think we have to worry. The only man who can challenge Quintana.)
Nibali ** (Will be up there, but not as great as last year. Has had a difficult start to the season but the man has courage and determination, he will not give up.)
And then the rest at * : Kreuziger, Evans, Tejay,, Horner (?), Porte (?), Spilak, Peraud, Costa, Fuglsang, Bentancur, Mollema, Uran, Majka (?), Pozzovivo.

I don't consider the kiwi a mountain rider.

LaFlorecita said:
Me thinks Bertie really needs to up his game compared to last year. Froome seems as dangerous as last year. Dauphine will tell us a lot.

He upped his game from last year. Question: is it enough to beat the dawg?
I still don't think so. But, Sky looks much weaker than last year, Richie is nowhere to be seen, that might be a chance.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
I still don't think so. But, Sky looks much weaker than last year, Richie is nowhere to be seen, that might be a chance.

It's looking incredibly close just now. Should be exciting July!

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Rollthedice said:

The time trial is what worries me the most. Even in the best case scenario I think Contador would lose 1 minute. And of course if he time trials like last year he will lose 3-4.

There is no doubt he is closer to the Dawg on the climbing though.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
On a scale of one to a hundred where do you think the various GC/GT riders will be placed this year? The strongest rider is automatically "a 100" to put it in perspective.

I hope that we will have them all for the Vuelta.

Rollthedice said:

Despite being very strong before the Tour last year, they were pretty weak overall in the Tour last year though. Porte was strong and Kennaugh showed glimpses, but that was about it. Froome didn't really need them to take the win. Will be different this year.

Lots of question marks this year for the climbing domestiques (Porte, Henao, Wiggins, Kiryienka, Nieve). Thomas and Lopez will be their decent self I think. They might end up quite a bit stronger overall than last year, but it can be the opposite too.

As has been stated, I too think the final tt of the Tour is where Contador will lose the most time....Still I'm holding out hope that he'll improve there. Sky as a team seems even worse then last year (at least right now), this could be good for Tinkov. With Rogers as their road captain, I'm hoping they are able to make the most out Sky's weakness. Even last year Contador tried like crazy (personally I think this is why he lost 2nd place), he just didn't have the form. This year he looks even better, and I'm sure he'll try as hard as ever....Looking to be a great tour!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I agree wih Jspear. I'm more worried with the ITT. As far as mountain, they are closed. Either way, one thing we can be sure that it won't be walk in the park scenario again for Froome like last year. Contador is going to give Froome the run for his money. Guarantee.

if people ask will it be enough for Contador to beat Froome? i would say there's a possibility of yes. (tactics, form, strength of the team). Last year, they got tactic, strength of the team, but no good form for Contador. If people ask, whether Nibali can challenge Froome? with his rate right now, I don't think so. He couldn't even beat Quintana last year.

As far as report card, Froome looks like to be on track with his form. Contador? on track. Nibali? more. <that is more practice..by a mile> :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Fzotrlool said:
How to you guys think the year will end up in terms of rating?

Contador, Froome (Let the battle begin). *****
Valverde (Better than ever? Might podium both Tour and Vuelta.) ****
Quintana **** (Not as superior start as the last year, but I he is going to dominate in both the Giro and the Vuelta. I'm pretty sure he will get his first GT victory this year.)
Purito *** (Strong start in Catalunya, the only one Contador has not been able to drop, but the crash has made his fate more uncertain, usually one of the best riders in the high mountains, so I don't think we have to worry. The only man who can challenge Quintana.)
Nibali ** (Will be up there, but not as great as last year. Has had a difficult start to the season but the man has courage and determination, he will not give up.)
And then the rest at * : Kreuziger, Evans, Tejay,, Horner (?), Porte (?), Spilak, Peraud, Costa, Fuglsang, Bentancur, Mollema, Uran, Majka (?), Pozzovivo.

I don't consider the kiwi a mountain rider.

I would think kwiat will be like 'molema' last year. Tough as a nail to get ride off.

the sceptic said:
The time trial is what worries me the most. Even in the best case scenario I think Contador would lose 1 minute. And of course if he time trials like last year he will lose 3-4.

Didn't he only lose like 2 last year?

Red Rick said:
In all GT's except for the 2012 Tour Froome weakened a bit towards the end. If that happens this year he's unlikely to win, as he won't put as much time into Contador and because Contador will attack like a madman at the slightest signs of weakness

I'm surprised to hear that from you red rick, and Idk what you are basing it on 2011 vuelta he won the last gc stage. 2012 tour like you said he didn't get weaker (2nd on final mountain (behind break) and final tt).
2012 vuelta, can't read into someone losing form if it's the second of back to back gts.
2013 tour is the only one. But remember he had the gc wrapped up by 5 minutes and still won a stage in the final week.

The Hitch said:
2013 tour is the only one. But remember he had the gc wrapped up by 5 minutes and still won a stage in the final week.

He only had the one bad day on Alpe d'Huez. In the final mountain stage I believe he could have followed Purito and Nairo if he had to, even with a few hundred metres to go he was smiling on the bike as he knew he had done it.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know if Contador can even give Froome a run for his money. I doubt it unless he really has that giro 2011 form.

His form has been really good but tbh if this was the old Contador he would have crushed martin in the pais vasco ITT.

It's still alien Froome, DL will tell us more although you can't use it as the best indicator.

Btw it'll only come from Contador i think, nibali is dog**** atm.

the sceptic said:

I totally agree.

To make a good TT, he must lose at most 1m 30s / 2 min.:eek:

The Hitch said:
I'm surprised to hear that from you red rick, and Idk what you are basing it on 2011 vuelta he won the last gc stage. 2012 tour like you said he didn't get weaker (2nd on final mountain (behind break) and final tt).
2012 vuelta, can't read into someone losing form if it's the second of back to back gts.

In the 2011 Vuelta he got dropped hard on el Angliru. He finished in a group with Menchov who wasn't in great shape and with Wout Poels. Hardest climb of the race. It was at the end of the 2nd week though, and the GC was done by the 3rd week.

In the 2012 Tour he didn't weaken towards the end, he did show weakness at one point though.

2012 Vuelta he got really bad in the end. From Lagos de Covadonga onwards he got dropped like a stone on every climb that was raced. If you compare that to Contador, who in the 2011 Tour attacked like a madman in the final stages and dropped only once, while he won the toughest Giro in recent memory before that

Last year he weakened from the 2nd tt onwards imo. Someone who wins on Bonascre and Ventoux putting minutes into everybody and almost beats Tony Martin in a flat tt, should win a hilly tt with a way bigger margin. He was lucky enough that Saxo ****ed up their tactics. In the alpes he was dropped twice by both Purito and Quintana

Name 1 GT where Contador was weaker in the 3rd week than before that

TRENDING THREADS