• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 588 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Since the day Tinkov took over I have wanted Alberto to go somewhere else.

Omg, grow up, its not a little cute fairy tale where everything is perfect, its the real world. Now he is on a team who can give him all he ever wanted, and he looks to me like hes contend with Riis and Co.

Oleg got the funds, the guy is an idiot, but eccentric, you think there are teams without some idiot on it?
Saxo is as good as any other team, and you want him to move course you dont like the owner...jeeez.

Atleast this team have supported him and treated him with the respect he deserved. deal with it.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

if we forget existence of tinkov, then saxo is the best team for alberto.

kwia or stybar is tough. OPQS values them a lot. both of them are their main UCI point earners.
getting Geschke would be wonderful.

Butterhead said:
Omg, grow up, its not a little cute fairy tale where everything is perfect, its the real world. Now he is on a team who can give him all he ever wanted, and he looks to me like hes contend with Riis and Co.

Oleg got the funds, the guy is an idiot, but eccentric, you think there are teams without some idiot on it?
Saxo is as good as any other team, and you want him to move course you dont like the owner...jeeez.

Atleast this team have supported him and treated him with the respect he deserved. deal with it.

Lol. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Butterhead said:
Ehh? Calm down from what? I just asked her a question, you think it get me all wired up? I havent seen she wrote anything, I just wondered why she said that.
relax amigo.

I just dont think that question 'You've been drinkin?' is too friendly.;)In my country its rather insulting...but keep talking like you want it,its not of my business,but its your image for this forum, dont forget.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

Why? Is it purely your dislike against Tinkov ore something else? I think Tinkov offers Contador the things he needs to get a advantage. Material/equipment/nutrition is top-notch (even gets his clothes tested in the wind-tunnel lol, Steven de Jongh for training advice, a very strong tdf squad, and Riis who is clearly important for Alberto.

I don't see how a other team could offer things that Saxo currently does not offer. He seems happy and Saxo too.

Butterhead said:
Especially after the Tour when Oleg claimed Contador didn't train hard enough. Really respectful for a guy that had spent 3 weeks smashing his head against Sky, trying to attack them in every way. Tinkov is the kind of guy that only cares if you win, nothing else. And it'll be much worse now that he really owns the team.

webbie146 said:
Why? Is it purely your dislike against Tinkov ore something else? I think Tinkov offers Contador the things he needs to get a advantage. Material/equipment/nutrition is top-notch (even gets his clothes tested in the wind-tunnel lol, Steven de Jongh for training advice, a very strong tdf squad, and Riis who is clearly important for Alberto.

I don't see how a other team could offer things that Saxo currently does not offer. He seems happy and Saxo too.

Oh I like the team, I really do. I like the sponsors, I like the riders, the staff. I just really, really dislike Tinkov.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Oh I like the team, I really do. I like the sponsors, I like the riders, the staff. I just really, really dislike Tinkov.

I see haha he is one of those persons that you either love or hate. There is not much in between with that guy, I find him entertaining sometimes though :p

Clearly he went to far by openly bashing Contador on twitter. He kind of apologized later in a interview though if I remember correctly. Besides those statements I've got nothing against him. I actually find if kind of refreshing to see a team owner ride 2000k, do interviews in the team jersey, and almost strangle Rogers after his win on the Zoncolan lol :D

I understand your view though :)

trevim said:
Especially after the Tour when Oleg claimed Contador didn't train hard enough. Really respectful for a guy that had spent 3 weeks smashing his head against Sky, trying to attack them in every way. Tinkov is the kind of guy that only cares if you win, nothing else. And it'll be much worse now that he really owns the team.

Trying to attack Sky in every way? Saxo were successful with the attack in the crosswinds, but apart from that, the only thing he tried was a half assed attack on the Alpe d'Huez descent. - That's 2 things he tried over the span of the entire Tour. Granted, he was clearly not in top shape - it was later stated by Riis that the long winter had postponed the allergy season, which hit him hard during the tour - but to claim he tried attacking them in every way, that's a bit of an overstatement.

Be that as it may, Tinkov's tweets last summer were savage and uncalled for.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont think anyone in this thread disagrees that tinkov is a rich spoiled brat.

your initial comments, however, are uncalled for in this thread, and factually incorrect.

the team and AC tried everything they could possibly do. every attack need not succeed, but no one has the right to complain that they didnt try. There was only one stage where they cared more for team GC than the yellow jersey. but that was in a stage where it was clear that they cant get yellow jersey.

He was not in best shape last year. i think that is fairly established by now. I never saw him give up fighting for the win. in fact, if he hadn't fought hard like the way he did, i am of the firm belief that he could have conserved a podium spot.

He took risks. it didnt work out. that's all.

murali said:
I dont think anyone in this thread disagrees that tinkov is a rich spoiled brat.

your initial comments, however, are uncalled for in this thread, and factually incorrect.

the team and AC tried everything they could possibly do. every attack need not succeed, but no one has the right to complain that they didnt try. There was only one stage where they cared more for team GC than the yellow jersey. but that was in a stage where it was clear that they cant get yellow jersey.

He was not in best shape last year. i think that is fairly established by now. I never saw him give up fighting for the win. in fact, if he hadn't fought hard like the way he did, i am of the firm belief that he could have conserved a podium spot.

He took risks. it didnt work out. that's all.

I assume this is directed to me.
Uncalled for in this thread? - How so? It's not a tribute thread per se (as far as I'm aware), thus the possibility of discussing things.

Factually incorrect? Do elaborate. If I recall remotely correctly, the only 2 times they went on the attack were in the cross winds to Saint-Amand-Montrond and, as stated in my previous post, the Alpe d'Huez stage. - Were there, per your recollection of the 2013 Tour, any other instances in which they attacked? - They had the chance on the stage following the AX 3 Domaines one, though in part due to Movistar's apparent bid for 2nd rather than a GC win, it didn't pan out.

I'm not complaining. I like Contador and merely gave my view of the things that happened.

I have to say I thought I understood how much Froome was zeroed in on beating Contador last year, but reading excerpts from his book over in the Clinic, well I understated it (in my head) by a factor of 10. Kid was/is really obsessed with Contador (who apparently thinks doesn't train, but basically does coffee rides--I wonder if that comes from Porte). I really hope all Contador does is follow his wheels at the Dauphine. It will blow Froome's mind.

Butterhead said:
Other riders I think they look at could be a Simon Geschke, what he shows is impressive, and he can do everything, TT, climb, sprint and do classics.
I would love to see a Demare or Kittel

Maybe he could make a play for Matthews -off contract- he can do a decent ITT, can sprint well (doesn't need that much of a train) and could win hard one day races/ stage hunt.

Then again i don't want him to leave OGE :D

Publicus said:
I have to say I thought I understood how much Froome was zeroed in on beating Contador last year, but reading excerpts from his book over in the Clinic, well I understated it (in my head) by a factor of 10. Kid was/is really obsessed with Contador (who apparently thinks doesn't train, but basically does coffee rides--I wonder if that comes from Porte). I really hope all Contador does is follow his wheels at the Dauphine. It will blow Froome's mind.

Yes. It's crazy.

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Publicus said:
I have to say I thought I understood how much Kid was/is really obsessed with Contador (who apparently thinks doesn't train, but basically does coffee rides--I wonder if that comes from Porte).

can you link to this part?

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
ty infeXio for tht.

that looked like a sick narcissist blabbering about his great c***c performance :(

my memories of last year's tour are clearly not in line with yours. 300+ days is a long time.
reading Roche's tour diaries might help us remember what happened.

my comments were not intended to hurt anyone. i was only referring to the fact that most of us were hanging around here last year. this is a thread for discussing AC. My apologies, if I had not chosen my words correctly.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
trevim said:

Oleg is an idiot, we all know that, but if anybody takes all his stupid shyt seriously they are even dumber.
What I meant is, nobody have supported him like Saxo have, both sponsors and Riis, before and during his suspension and after.

Oleg comes in later, that he trolls on twitter is one thing, but his message was actually spot on, for the wages Contador gets it was far from good enough, and that was the whole year, and still the team supported him all the way.

Oleg seems to have realized his banging of AC on twitter probably was appropriate and to no good, but the guy was frustrated, but now he owns the team, he have to behave. If he can I dont know, but if he starts with his blablabing BS again, then I am sure AC know what to do.

So yes, this team have supported him more than anybody else his entire career.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I just dont think that question 'You've been drinkin?' is too friendly.;)In my country its rather insulting...but keep talking like you want it,its not of my business,but its your image for this forum, dont forget.

I dont care about image, i just asked a simple question, no offend intended, and no its not meant as an insult, dont take things so seriously, and lets just discuss cyling, and stay on topic. Personal matters can be discussed somewhere else.

TRENDING THREADS