• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 621 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
rghysens said:
1) never believe what a cyclist (or his entourage) says: As long as we didn't have an undeniable proof (like for Froome's injuries), it's neither true or untrue.

2) Same can be said about Contador: he was out of form last year.

3) A Tour course designed for Contador based on last year's tour would feature no flat TT's, a lot of flat stages with possible crosswinds and no MTF's at all.

It would feature a TT. One just like this year's has: not particularly flat and right at the end of the third week when Froome has shown he usually runs out of energy from going too deep too often

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
A course designed for AC would have a prologue, a TTT, shorter and hillier ITTs (like last year) and no cobbles.

we had froomboys earlier. now we have froome apologists.

If anything, i think that this has been designed to ensure that more french riders finish in top-10. a lack of TTT is proof for tht. Also look at how many stages are finishing in real monster climbs. Both Izoard and Tourmelet are in the middle of stage, giving enough distance for someone to catch up in the descents. I think the designers have reserved a few stages for Tommy Voeckler/Couqard. wont be surprised if 5 French riders do top-15 GC.

I still dont understand the purpose of cobbles. Chavanel?

As far as handcrafted TdFs are concerned, i will have to go back in history. maybe 11 months or 23 months ago.

SiAp1984 said:
Sky would at least be stronger in the valleys with Wiggo.

Topic: I have thought a little regarding AC and his "comeback" this year. Even if I stand my ground that he will not win the Tour again (and I, for obvious reasons, don't like him), I have to admit that his improvement in form compared to last year is impressive. I gues he reinvented himself in a way and found a way to push himself a little further than last year. His successful spring campaign - even if it became a little overhyped taking into consideration the level of competition in some of the races and the respective gaps - is a serious warning shot at Sky.

Nevertheless, there are considerable other factors which speak in ACs favour and which he could not influence. Should AC do very well at the Tour, these factors will equally contribute to his possible success in France (and therefore should be mentioned here):

1. Froomes injuries in the spring: Without these injuries, there would be no talking of AC being able to drop Froome in the mountains (or even to stay with him). Let's face it: Froomes prep was seriously hampered by several injuries and setbacks whereas ACs prep went ideally. Of course this is an advantage for AC. Same goes for injuries of Froomes teammates, in particular Porte and (to a lesser extent) Stannard.

2. Important rivals not riding/out of form: Last year's Tour has revealed that there are at least five riders which are potentially and/or constantly stronger than AC in the mountains: Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Rodriguez and Porte. Quintana is not at the start in France, Valverde's form is unclear and Rodriguez, Froome (see above) and Porte did not have an ideal preparation.

3. Course designed for AC: This years course has obviously (for whatever reason) been designed in favour of AC. No TT, no second long (and flat) ITT, nice MTFs. I don't know why, but the Tour organisers still put some value in this guy and - obviously - want to give him another chance to win the Tour. Well done.

So let the games begin. To the least, AC will contribute to a more exciting race than lst year. Hell, the guy is so annoying -but even I have to respect his fighting spirit.

So, you've already given up hope and got your rationalizations all ready? Lame post.

Netserk said:
Is Roche good enough for a Tour spot now?

The knock on him, at least from my perspective, is that he's never been there when it counts (as a super domestique (though maybe that's a result of my own expectations of his abilities)). I don't doubt his ability. But yeah, based upon the showings from Roche today, you have to say his ticket to the Tour is definitely punched.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Roche made 30 seconds over a group containing Valverde, Rogers, Elissonde, Kudus.

If Valverde cant shake Rogers, i dont understand wht he is going to do in TdF!

Looks like Contador's chances are excellent in TdF.

Kreuziger coming second today in TdS after one lame charge is sort of worrying me. Either the support for him is bad. Or he hasnt really come back to his usual form. Should we be worried?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:

Topic: I have thought a little regarding AC and his "comeback" this year. Even if I stand my ground that he will not win the Tour again (and I, for obvious reasons, don't like him), I have to admit that his improvement in form compared to last year is impressive. I gues he reinvented himself in a way and found a way to push himself a little further than last year. His successful spring campaign - even if it became a little overhyped taking into consideration the level of competition in some of the races and the respective gaps - is a serious warning shot at Sky.

Nevertheless, there are considerable other factors which speak in ACs favour and which he could not influence. Should AC do very well at the Tour, these factors will equally contribute to his possible success in France (and therefore should be mentioned here):

1. Froomes injuries in the spring: Without these injuries, there would be no talking of AC being able to drop Froome in the mountains (or even to stay with him). Let's face it: Froomes prep was seriously hampered by several injuries and setbacks whereas ACs prep went ideally. Of course this is an advantage for AC. Same goes for injuries of Froomes teammates, in particular Porte and (to a lesser extent) Stannard.

2. Important rivals not riding/out of form: Last year's Tour has revealed that there are at least five riders which are potentially and/or constantly stronger than AC in the mountains: Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Rodriguez and Porte. Quintana is not at the start in France, Valverde's form is unclear and Rodriguez, Froome (see above) and Porte did not have an ideal preparation.

3. Course designed for AC: This years course has obviously (for whatever reason) been designed in favour of AC. No TT, no second long (and flat) ITT, nice MTFs. I don't know why, but the Tour organisers still put some value in this guy and - obviously - want to give him another chance to win the Tour. Well done.

REALLY? July hasn't started yet and you already came out with this. Is it just to soften the blow when contador does kick frowg @ss in July? I'm contador's fan, but by no means I'll be blinded by what we saw so far. I can only tell, july won't be a walk on the park for Froome, that's for sure. If Contador wins it, well.. that just because he is the great one. :D (and of course I won't complaint about it, but I would wait until the fat frency lady finish eating her croissant and sing 'god save the king'.. Other than that i'll stock up some popcorn for now. :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:

well, at least their plan works. Roche is counting on getting Vuelta form at TDF this year. Rogers looks good judging by the post. Game on July! Zaugg wasn't bad today for Kreuziger too. Hope to see a lot more tomorrow for Zaugg, fluke or is he really in the rising form. All is a good sign for Contador.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
So, you've already given up hope and got your rationalizations all ready? Lame post.
Exactly my thought.:D
murali said:
...snapped...
Kreuziger coming second today in TdS after one lame charge is sort of worrying me. Either the support for him is bad. Or he hasnt really come back to his usual form. Should we be worried?
I dont think so,he rode pretty well,same as Mollema.Tommorow will tell more of course.imo he still will be 2nd best rider in Saxo tour squad
Netserk said:
Great race by Roche today,impressive.I admit I was really stupid,I thought he won't be in a good form after the Giro,but he is doing great right now.Same for Mickey,Contador will probably have great mountain support.

to your question:
Yes.You cant (not) take a guy who wins something 2 weeks before the start of Tour.
On the other hand his win doesnt ensure the most important point,that is he is not a good domestique.;)But even if he won't give his 100% as a AC domestique he will be fine with this kind of form!Impressive really,looks like Giro preparation is great move.Riis is brilliant:)

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
In TdS, Kreu only put @ 15s to Tony Martin. thts why i m worried. ideally, would hav expected him to put at least 30 secs. Also, they dropped TM only with 3 km to go. Kreu attacking so late doesnt sound like a rider in form.

I'm back after 15 days of touring southern France. The Dauphine was covered on the sports news so I was able to follow major events but haven't seen the race. It is safely recorded on my dvr and I will watch it while overcoming jet lag.

Meanwhile it seems our boy is in fine shape and the Tdf should be a cracker of a race! It looks as if I have quite a few thread pages to get through to get caught up also.

Alberto must be quite happy right now......just that TT to deal with! But Froome will be tired by then after chasing Alberto all over France :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
murali said:
In TdS, Kreu only put @ 15s to Tony Martin. thts why i m worried. ideally, would hav expected him to put at least 30 secs. Also, they dropped TM only with 3 km to go. Kreu attacking so late doesnt sound like a rider in form.

You guys are insane. Are you really discussing in a contador thread how it concerns you that kreuziger only put 15 sec on TM?

Just ridiculous, btw tony has proven to be a decent climber in a 1 week stage race especially when there's only 1 real climb. Kreuziger beat guys like Rui Costa on the climb, kreuziger is doing fine.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
murali said:

Don't know, how often someone attacks with 3 km to go on hill such as Verbier?

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
murali said:

Dude(ess), come on. Kreuziger is fine, if not more so. Together with Mollema on his way to top 10 TDF (shape), by the looks of it. Don't let yourself get fooled by a very strong Tony Martin, who's perfectly capable of climbing like he's doing momentarily.

SiAp1984 said:

So let the games begin. To the least, AC will contribute to a more exciting race than lst year. Hell, the guy is so annoying -but even I have to respect his fighting spirit.

With the Tour route being planned prior to Contador's improved form and performance what makes you think that Tour organizers were equipped with clairvoyance to forsee their route would favor him over Froome? Add to that Froome's past superiority over all of his rivals in both the mountains and the time trials, how would there be a course design that didn't favor him over his rivals?

LaFlorecita said:
Last 1.5k was flat they dropped him with 1-1.5k to go uphill.

Kreuziger was pulling long before that, he didn't try to jump away, he rather tried to drop everyone by riding at a high pace. First he pulled the whole group for like 2km, then he was the only one able to react to Mollema. I think he actually was the best today

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Last 1.5k was flat they dropped him with 1-1.5k to go uphill.

At least last part of Verbier was uphill, wasn't it? Don't know how many metres though.

Kreuziger totally lacks explosivness. If he had some, he'd put more time on Costa and Martin. The way he attacks he's more doing domestique deluxe, towing them to the line.

Jelantik said:
well, at least their plan works. Roche is counting on getting Vuelta form at TDF this year. Rogers looks good judging by the post. Game on July! Zaugg wasn't bad today for Kreuziger too. Hope to see a lot more tomorrow for Zaugg, fluke or is he really in the rising form. All is a good sign for Contador.

Zaugg in contention for a Tour spot?

Juul-Jensen seems to be in decent form in RdS also.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hakkapelit said:
Zaugg in contention for a Tour spot?

Juul-Jensen seems to be in decent form in RdS also.

Juus Jensen has already done the Giro (at a surprisingly good level) after a pretty tough, and also pretty good, spring season. Not that he would go to the Tour anyway - with so much competition for his position- but in this case it would be kind of suicidal IMO.

ILovecycling said:
Hey folks,do you know (have) any great pics of Alberto for avatar?
I need to change,to support him properly,only 2 weeks left:)
Definitely this one:

alberto-contador-vuelta-murcia.jpg

I would use it myself but I still believe in Kloden for a top10.

TRENDING THREADS