• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 623 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
indianfanboy said:
Very bad perfomance in the final stage of TDS by Kreuziger

Kreuziger needs to work on his form seriously

I'd say he was about same shape as last year TdS.

Zaugg rode well yesterday but he didn't help Kreuziger much stage before. How long was he pulling? Like 400 metres? Not much.

Interesting is that all guys who attackes on Verbier weren't very good yesterday. Chaves, Kreuziger, even Mollema.

GJB123 said:
I beg to differ. The best since Lemond, perhaps.
Stage racer? Certainly. Overall? Not so sure. Don't forget Lemond was a solid 1 day rider as well, if Berto gets a WC or big classic then there's no debate at all.

Lemond got 2xWC + 2x2nd and podiums at LBL, MSR, GdL along with 4th at PR. I'd say they're pretty even but only because of the diversity of Lemond's palmares.

42x16ss said:
Stage racer? Certainly. Overall? Not so sure. Don't forget Lemond was a solid 1 day rider as well, if Berto gets a WC or big classic then there's no debate at all.

Lemond got 2xWC + 2x2nd and podiums at LBL, MSR, GdL along with 4th at PR. I'd say they're pretty even but only because of the diversity of Lemond's palmares.

Yeah I agree. Overall they are pretty even but Contador is by far a better stage racer (and climber).

Hope Bertie shifts his focus to the one week stage races he hasn't won yet and the classics in a couple years :)

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i dont understand this deep craving for him to win 1-day classics.

He is the best stage racer in the current era. Period.

the field was different in the past, so were the opponents. If a 30yo Lemond or Hinault or any other stage racing legend were to compete with a 30 yo AC, who would hav won? I dont think that we can empirically answer that question.

When was the last time AC was the solo leader of a WC team. i hav only seen him as co-leader or riding for others.

murali said:
i dont understand this deep craving for him to win 1-day classics.

He is the best stage racer in the current era. Period.

the field was different in the past, so were the opponents. If a 30yo Lemond or Hinault or any other stage racing legend were to compete with a 30 yo AC, who would hav won? I dont think that we can empirically answer that question.

When was the last time AC was the solo leader of a WC team. i hav only seen him as co-leader or riding for others.
The thing is he can win Liege, Fleche, Lombardia and Emillia on his day. Not a top favourite but his climbing/explosivity is good enough for it. And it would certainly add a totally new dimension to his palmares.
I get why he doesn't want to focus on it, considering how good his recovery is in stage races.

Vino attacks everyone said:
would be awesome if he tried to go for LBL, because the only way he can win it is to go ballistic with his team from km 0 and make the race as hard as possible

Otherwise it will be a sprint between Valverde, Gerrans and Kwiatkowski again. Not that I would mind a win of my polish hero, but it was kind of boring this year.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
would be awesome if he tried to go for LBL, because the only way he can win it is to go ballistic with his team from km 0 and make the race as hard as possible

Nah, he just needs a lot of luck and really good legs. He could have won it in '10 and the race wasn't that hard at all until the roche aux faucons.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

I hope so,cuz this LBL was so unbelievably boooooooooooooooooooring:eek:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
I donot think he can win the classics. He does not train for them. He is not at correct race weight. For classics you need more power climbing than the steady long climbs, bringing into play a lot more anaerobic muscles.

Contador proved he can win classics in '10 despite not winning any, there's just a lot of luck (strategy) involved. And he doesn't wanna rely on that, winning stage races is less luck based and more on a consistent level which is his strong point.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
so the argument is that he has the capability of winning.

if he targets Giro instead of Tour, then can he win any of the spring classics?

he had stopped racing after the Basque race.

Another doubt: shudnt he be having better sprinting skills to win the one day races?

I think that next year he will do Giro for a number of reasons: it is his favorite ride, he does not participate for 4 years ecc.
so he can do some classics. for example ,new Milano-Sanremo is suitable for him with the climb of Pompeiana...

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
do riding classics increase the uci points available to grab?

and do TS guys have to worry abt points anymore? i mean, with Kreu, majka, etc making pts, can AC do wht he wants from now on without points pressure?

murali said:
so the argument is that he has the capability of winning.

if he targets Giro instead of Tour, then can he win any of the spring classics?

he had stopped racing after the Basque race.

Another doubt: shudnt he be having better sprinting skills to win the one day races?

Better sprint skills?

Stage 5 Results
SLO 1 MEZGEC, Luka (GIANT-SHIMANO) 5:16:00
FRA 2 ALAPHILIPPE, Julian (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
FRA 3 DUMOULIN, Samuel (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
GER 4 MARTENS, Paul (BELKIN)
NED 5 KREDER, Michel (WANTY - GROUPE GOBERT)
ESP 6 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TINKOFF-SAXO)
GBR 7 YATES, Adam (ORICA GreenEDGE)
FRA 8 REZA, Kévin (EUROPCAR)
BEL 9 VAN DER SANDE, Tosh (LOTTO BELISOL)
ITA 10 VIGANO, Davide (CAJA RURAL - SEGUROS RGA)

Stage 7 Results
NED 1 WESTRA, Lieuwe (ASTANA) 2:36:14
GER 2 BURGHARDT, Marcus (BMC RACING) + 1:22
FRA 3 VOECKLER, Thomas (EUROPCAR)
POL 4 PATERSKI, Maciej (CCC POLSAT POLKOWICE) + 1:26
FRA 5 BAGOT, Yohan (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS) + 1:36
SLO 6 POLANC, Jan (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 2:07
ESP 7 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TINKOFF-SAXO)
FRA 8 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
FRA 9 JEANNESSON, Arnold (FDJ.fr)
ESP 10 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA)
DEN 11 FUGLSANG, Jakob (ASTANA)
BEL 12 BAUGNIES, Jérôme (WANTY - GROUPE GOBERT)
USA 13 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING)
USA 14 TALANSKY, Andrew (GARMIN SHARP)
COL 15 QUINTANA ROJAS, Nairo Alexander (MOVISTAR)

:p

TRENDING THREADS