• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 640 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Riis: "Majka is not a substitute for Kreuziger, he would have been on the team in any case".

Well, it sure doesnt sound like that according to Majka himself. Sounds weird.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Cimber said:
Berto: "My form this year can be compared to 2009. I have been good all season but it didnt really come all together till just recently"

So he's saying his form right now is nothing compared to the form he had earlier, oh **** lol

Then again he said something similar last year but now he has the results though.

Porte says Contador will have to worry about him for GC as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/04/australian-cyclist-richie-porte-ready-mark

One of the keys for Porte's personal goals will be how the duel plays out between Froome and his main rival, two-time Tour champion Alberto Contador.

"Tactically, it can also work out for me – I might have my own opportunities in this race if I don't lose time," Porte said.

"Alberto showed in Dauphine (last month's Criterium du Dauphine race) he's happy to follow Chris around. If that's the case, come the third week then that's going to play into my hands. I do have some ambitions going into this race of riding for a good finish."

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
inri2000 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/04/australian-cyclist-richie-porte-ready-mark

One of the keys for Porte's personal goals will be how the duel plays out between Froome and his main rival, two-time Tour champion Alberto Contador.

"Tactically, it can also work out for me – I might have my own opportunities in this race if I don't lose time," Porte said.

"Alberto showed in Dauphine (last month's Criterium du Dauphine race) he's happy to follow Chris around. If that's the case, come the third week then that's going to play into my hands. I do have some ambitions going into this race of riding for a good finish."

My bet is that before that Porte will have had his usual one bad day where he loses loads of time

Cimber said:
Riis: "Majka is not a substitute for Kreuziger, he would have been on the team in any case".

Well, it sure doesnt sound like that according to Majka himself. Sounds weird.

That does sound weird. Though in the GCN video (great video; team seems super relaxed and to be enjoying themselves) Majka seems to suggest his form is good coming off the Giro. I dont know what to make of it really. In any event the road will tell us soon enough

inri2000 said:

Lil Richie is going to get stomped on :)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
inri2000 said:

I doubt Froome will like that comment, considering his egotistical biography and the rage he got into when Bradley was wanting to race the TdF.

Nope, it's Bottle duty for Porty, if he thinks otherwise he's as deluded as Froome was in 2012.

I cannot listen to anything Richie Porte says ...not just because he has the most boring delivery ever but because he mostly comes across as if he has a massive chip

Porte has not finished very high on GC Tour ...except the Giro once and that wasn't even top 5 ....so how he can battle Contador for the win is beyond me

You seriously need to call your self to book when you start believing your own bull****

He will climb well on some days ...but he is never consistent enough to suddenly win the Tour :eek:

Besides there are alot of other riders who are better than Richie to trouble Contador

inthepink said:
I cannot listen to anything Richie Porte says ...not just because he has the most boring delivery ever but because he mostly comes across as if he has a massive chip

Porte has not finished very high on GC Tour ...except the Giro once and that wasn't even top 5 ....so how he can battle Contador for the win is beyond me

You seriously need to call your self to book when you start believing your own bull****

He will climb well on some days ...but he is never consistent enough to suddenly win the Tour :eek:

Besides there are alot of other riders who are better than Richie to trouble Contador

I remember a certain Richie Porte riding Contador off his wheel in last year's Tour before Froome finished him off. Porte is not saying he will win the Tour, he's saying he wants to compete with Contador which he did last year until he had a bad day but as he is working for Froome GC is unlikely unless Contador collapses which is also unlikely. Porte has never been team leader in a GT so how would you know how he would go ? His Giro debut as leader was cancelled due to illness and lack of fitness. I think by opportunities he means he might pick up a stage win.

inthepink said:

He couldnt be talking about stages i 3rd week then?

movingtarget said:
I remember a certain Richie Porte riding Contador off his wheel in last year's Tour before Froome finished him off. Porte is not saying he will win the Tour, he's saying he wants to compete with Contador which he did last year until he had a bad day but as he is working for Froome GC is unlikely unless Contador collapses which is also unlikely. Porte has never been team leader in a GT so how would you know how he would go ? His Giro debut as leader was cancelled due to illness and lack of fitness. I think by opportunities he means he might pick up a stage win.

Firstly how I would know??? Based on experience to date otherwise how would anyone know anything if not based on experience ...If you haven't done it then is not as likely..But this is an opinion forum so entitled to my opinion

Secondly Porte's words =

Not the words of someone talking about a stage win .=, ie losing time ???
good finish ???

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
He's (porte in the interwiev) just adding fuel to the recent discussion of Contador beeing to obsessed with Froome that someone else slips away with the win á la Talansky..

I don't think the comment is to be taken too seriously, could just be a bait to get AC to follow him in a move further out the route in an atempt to make him use unnecesary energy and thus giving Froome an advantage.. ( a SKY marginal gains strategy)

If this is not the case, then maybe SKY still has some authority issues in the aftermath of the Wigginns debacle and again this would add to the notion of Froome having leadship issues..

I find no 1 to be most likely given the IMO close relationship between Froome/Porte as opposite to Froome/wiggins..

I know that Porte has made clear his ambition to be no. 1 in a roster, but the Tour is definetely not up for grabs as long as he's riding with a Froome in 2013- form or the likes..

Anyway this is the Contador thread so to conclude on this I don't think it will matter anyway, as AC will not bite the bait unless Froome is in serious trouble..

Franklin said:
I doubt Froome will like that comment, considering his egotistical biography and the rage he got into when Bradley was wanting to race the TdF.

Nope, it's Bottle duty for Porty, if he thinks otherwise he's as deluded as Froome was in 2012.

He says not:

There is no need for Froome to spell out why he wants his trusted friend Richie Porte, rather than a potentially disgruntled Wiggins, riding at his side. “Richie could make the podium himself. He’s going better than I’ve ever seen him before and he won’t have to sacrifice himself for me like last year. I think our team will get Richie safely into the mountains and then you’ll really see what he can do.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-question-performances-tour-de-france-cycling

May 26, 2009
Visit site
bigcog said:
He says not:
He wishes Porte well, but we all know he and Michelle will go nuclear as soon as Porte threatens Froome. His words and actions show he's extremely egoistiic with a problem with reality as soon as it's not centered on him.

His spat with Wiggins is part delusions and part extreme fear for his own position.

He will not accept anyone at the same level, he will do anything underhanded to get him out of his team.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think this is just part of the war of words.

I think Sky is still afraid that Contador will beat Froome easily in the mountains.

They are just trying to say that Porte can be used as a decoy. when the time comes, i think AC will just follow Porte, and when Froome tries to launch from behind, AC will just ride away from Porte.

Franklin said:
He wishes Porte well, but we all know he and Michelle will go nuclear as soon as Porte threatens Froome. His words and actions show he's extremely egoistiic with a problem with reality as soon as it's not centered on him.

Porte and Froome are friends and Porte is not himself a threat to Froome (unless something weird happens like Porte attacking and no other team chases).

TRENDING THREADS