• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 641 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
This is TdF. there are no friends, only DS. if DS says midway thru TdF tht Porte is the new leader, then it will be so. if Porte gets more than 2 min from Froome before the TT, then he becomes the leader as per the Sky Logic.

But froome being froome. he will ensure tht porte loses a few min so that he wont challenge dawg's spot.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I alreayd know what's gonna happen in the second stage.

Contador can't get the yellow jersey in that stage, that might set him back from doing something but not if he has an ally who will take the jersey

Which rider is pretty much confirmed to be on Contador's team next year and has the ability to follow him sunday? ;)

sterke-sagan-wint-e3-harelbeke-id5488341-1000x800-n.jpg

murali said:
This is TdF. there are no friends, only DS. if DS says midway thru TdF tht Porte is the new leader, then it will be so. if Porte gets more than 2 min from Froome before the TT, then he becomes the leader as per the Sky Logic.

But froome being froome. he will ensure tht porte loses a few min so that he wont challenge dawg's spot.

Yer just like when Froome ensured Wiggins lost time in 2012.:rolleyes:

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Correct.. Both of you :)

Methinks Porte does not like Alberto (based on what he says). He would do his season a lot more justice if he did all the talking on the road and not in front of a gossip-seeking reporter.

As far as I'm concerned, cycling takes a step backwards when wannabes call out champions in public. Brailsford should have told him to STFU.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Richie has come off as an arrogant fellow before. This is not anything new. Berto can read a race just as well as anyone in cycling. And Riis is a great DS. So no worries there. TS will be gunning for the win no doubt. But there is some payback due IMHO. Rewatch Stage 20. Froome pulling with Jrod & Nairo until the gap is over 50 seconds. Just enough to drop Berto off the podium. Richie sitting on AC's wheel until 500m then attack him and AT for a few seconds? You/SKY know you are going to win at that point. Ride with some class? They chose to be the ******.

Now with all the recent shady stuff going down. Don't be surprised when payback come there way. AKA Belkin attacking Valverde in the crosswinds on his mechanical. That was payback and Valverde knew it. Bit his lip and should have learned from it. Froome goes down in Dauphine AC backs off and waits = class.

I know here it comes......Chaingate!!!! Do not forget Andy attacked...Then dropped his chain......The race is on u attacked....All bets are off. How quickly we forget the cobbled stage....AC has an issue Andy attacks. Andy drops the chain on his attack = Now it is payback time. Lesson Issued.

Miburo said:
So he's saying his form right now is nothing compared to the form he had earlier, oh **** lol

Then again he said something similar last year but now he has the results though.

You can't seem to get over last year.:confused:

I interpreted it as his form is better now than any other part of the season although it has been good throughout.

inri2000 said:
Porte says Contador will have to worry about him for GC as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/04/australian-cyclist-richie-porte-ready-mark

One of the keys for Porte's personal goals will be how the duel plays out between Froome and his main rival, two-time Tour champion Alberto Contador.

"Tactically, it can also work out for me – I might have my own opportunities in this race if I don't lose time," Porte said.

"Alberto showed in Dauphine (last month's Criterium du Dauphine race) he's happy to follow Chris around. If that's the case, come the third week then that's going to play into my hands. I do have some ambitions going into this race of riding for a good finish."

That is a pretty simplistic view Porte has. Contador wasn't following when he attacked on stage 7. Where was Porte then? Can we judge Porte's potential performance on the major minutes he lost on the Dauphine's 2nd stage? What we can do is surmise that until he shows us different we can't really take him serious until he performs consistently throughout the 3 week's of a grand tour. This year's Tour could be that time but he hasn't proven capable up to now.

Angliru said:
That is a pretty simplistic view Porte has. Contador wasn't following when he attacked on stage 7. Where was Porte then? Can we judge Porte's potential performance on the major minutes he lost on the Dauphine's 2nd stage? What we can do is surmise that until he shows us different we can't really take him serious until he performs consistently throughout the 3 week's of a grand tour. This year's Tour could be that time but he hasn't proven capable up to now.

I agree completely, Porte still has to prove himself over 3 weeks. But lets say Porte was strong over 3 weeks: The thing I don't think Porte is thinking about is the fact that Froome has a couple of stronger rivals this year and there are a couple of stronger teams competing. Team Sky won't be able to have the luxury of keeping Porte "fresh." He'll be pouring himself all out trying to drop the other contenders. It will take everything team Sky has to break Moviestar, Astana, and Saxo. Their hands will be very full just trying to get Froome on the top step of the podium let alone helping Porte place high.

inthepink said:
Velonews stating SKY may not try to control every race in the mountains but instead stay with rivals and then beat them in final TT ???

I've said this for a long time, Froome doesn't need to drop anyone in the mountains, he will gain time in the TT so it's up to Saxo, Movistar and Astana to force time out of him. I've doubted whether Sky could actually do this as they love to force the pace but it really is the best strategy. If Froome loses time in the first week they can always go back to what they know best.

inri2000 said:
Porte says Contador will have to worry about him for GC as well:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/04/australian-cyclist-richie-porte-ready-mark

One of the keys for Porte's personal goals will be how the duel plays out between Froome and his main rival, two-time Tour champion Alberto Contador.

"Tactically, it can also work out for me – I might have my own opportunities in this race if I don't lose time," Porte said.

"Alberto showed in Dauphine (last month's Criterium du Dauphine race) he's happy to follow Chris around. If that's the case, come the third week then that's going to play into my hands. I do have some ambitions going into this race of riding for a good finish."

Porte = lameness.

Play into "my own hands?" Porte will be lucky if he can smell the fumes of Alberto's exhaust.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
I've said this for a long time, Froome doesn't need to drop anyone in the mountains, he will gain time in the TT so it's up to Saxo, Movistar and Astana to force time out of him. I've doubted whether Sky could actually do this as they love to force the pace but it really is the best strategy. If Froome loses time in the first week they can always go back to what they know best.

Tactically, the team is dumb. If they stay back, hoping for gaining in TT, then they will fall into the hands of the other contenders. they will easily crush Froome.
Valv, Nibbles wud be happy to work with AC to drop dawg in a stage.

If they do the train thingy, then the others will simply follow them and attack anyway to gain a few seconds on every other stage.

Projecting Porte as an alternative is a tactic that was used by many teams in the past. So everyone knows how to handle this.

By claiming that Froome is the fav and not himself, AC has ensured that all the cameras will focus on sky. The pressure is on Sky as Tinkov said. so AC will win.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The war on words is really on:

Riis: "Froome is shi tting himself"
(Google translated):

- When you look at Froome giving interviews, you can see that he is resoundingly uncertain. You can see that. He's shi ttting himself. It is perhaps not the right word, but see him - he's not fuc king sure of himself. He is under immense pressure. He tries course also runs from the pressure by saying that Alberto's favorite. But hey - there's only one topfavorit. He is the defending champion, and it belongs to. It is hell. A hell, but that is how it is, says Bjarne Riis.

https://translate.google.com/transl...-froome-er-ved-at-skide-i-bukserne&edit-text=

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Bold words from Riis. Saxo seem to be unduly confident. I'd only be that confident when going up against the Alien if I could ride up Hautacam like Bjarne.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
inthepink said:
Velonews stating SKY may not try to control every race in the mountains but instead stay with rivals and then beat them in final TT ???
I have to say that this is very interesting thought,the race shou be more entertaining like this,but I dont think Dave has balls to try this;)
SeriousSam said:
Bold words from Riis. Saxo seem to be unduly confident. I'd only be that confident when going up against the Alien if I could ride up Hautacam like Bjarne.
there are lot of 'If's' and nobody can be sure of anything,and this is what will make Froome and Sky vulnerable,they are strong in W/kg with all his team,but its not 2012 and 2013 anymore.
Two big players stepped up - Contador and Nibbs,and it will make hell of a difference,Im 100% sure,they are two riders with almost biggest cojones in peloton,thats the problem for Sky.Im not saying they will lose for sure,but I think it will be the mental breakdown what will smash them into pieces (of course AC has a chance to win even without tht meltdown)

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Cmon Contador! Buzzing for this tour...hoping Nibbles and Contador fight it out with Froome ****ting himself for three weeks looking for his teammates down the road

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Tinkov you brilliant troll you. Seeing the kit on the road I notice in the right light, the new kits look the exact same shade of yellow. But it's a fluo color (which you only notice in darker light), so they can't claim it too similar to the yellow jersey. Simply brilliant. :D

TRENDING THREADS