• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 701 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
Like I said, if people want to argue that Nibali is a deserving winner, there are other threads for that. This thread is about Contador.

Which means you cannot state that it is far from certain that Contador would've won or that the words from Riis are disrespectful? This topic is only for agreeing that Contador would've won?
Or that you hope Purito shows Nibali who is the best climber, for that matter?

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
:eek:

Roche with that Ether. I didn't know he had it in him. :eek:

Though, really, the Tour lost most of its appeal when Froome crashed out. Everyone with the least bit of cycling knowledge knew that Contador would have utterly demolished the rest of the field. It would have been as boring as the 2011 Giro.

I hope we'll get a real battle next year, with Quintana, too. You just know Nibali will duck the TDF next year, or will race the Giro first so he has that excuse. Then again, with Aru already climbing like a certified G...

yep.
But i had low expectations from Froome the individual this year, esp after the DL crash. i was hoping for a contest in terms of teams.

This year is turning out to be a year of pathetic GTs, unless Vuelta turns things around.

Eshnar said:
Well in that sprint it was pretty clear that Evans was stronger than Nibali right...?
edit: but really, let's drop the offtopic.

The comparison was with Froome for a very good reason. He was on the front for most of it, held back and still distanced the rest with ease. Because he was much better.

If you think discussing the performance of Contador by comparing it with other performances from the past is off topic, then please link a thread where that is more on topic.

Jagartrott said:
Which means you cannot state that it is far from certain that Contador would've won or that the words from Riis are disrespectful? This topic is only for agreeing that Contador would've won?

No, you can say that it's disrespectful. But once I see 1000 word essays arguing how Contador fans should suck it up , Nibali is better because he could stay on his bike, that is where the line between on topic and off topic is crossed I believe.

Netserk said:
The comparison was with Froome for a very good reason. He was on the front for most of it, held back and still distanced the rest with ease. Because he was much better.

If you think discussing the performance of Contador by comparing it with other performances from the past is off topic, then please link a thread where that is more on topic.
no, the off-topic was about Nibs.

Disrespectful where he said that's ? Where?:rolleyes:

he only said that Berto will try to gain about 1/1.30 min.Stop.
Where is disrespecful?

I think it also means that he attacks in Chevreres 'cause 1 min in 5-6km on last climb is much

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Jagartrott said:

I dont find it disrespectful that Riis is convinced that Contador would have dropped Nibali.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Those talks about gc field...

Nibali:

Vuelta
1.Nibali
2.Mosquera
3.Velits
4.Murito
5.Frank

Giro
1.Nibali
2.Uran
3.Evans
4.Scarponi
5.Betancur

Tour (prediction)
1.Nibali
2.Valverde
3.Porte
4.Pinot
5.TvG

Contador:

Vuelta
1.Contador
2.Valverde
3.Murito
4.Froome
5.Moreno

Giro
1.Contador
2.Scarponi
3.Nibali
4.Gadret
5.Murito

Tour
1.Contador
2.Andy
3.Armstrong
4.Wiggins
5.Frank

Thats a well-deserved 'Triple crown' winner;)

ILovecycling said:
Those talks about gc field...

Nibali:

Vuelta
1.Nibali
2.Mosquera
3.Velits
4.Murito
5.Frank

Giro
1.Nibali
2.Uran
3.Evans
4.Scarponi
5.Betancur

Tour (prediction)
1.Nibali
2.Valverde
3.Porte
4.Pinot
5.TvG

Contador:

Vuelta
1.Contador
2.Valverde
3.Murito
4.Froome
5.Moreno

Giro
1.Contador
2.Scarponi
3.Nibali
4.Gadret
5.Murito

Tour
1.Contador
2.Andy
3.Armstrong
4.Wiggins
5.Frank

Thats a well-deserved 'Triple crown' winner;)
Gt winners (at the time) in the top 5 of the GTs you listed won by Nibali: 1 (Evans)
Gt winners (at the time) in the top 5 of the GTs you listed won by Contador: 1 (Nibali)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Gt winners (at the time) in the top 5 of the GTs you listed won by Nibali: 1 (Evans)
Gt winners (at the time) in the top 5 of the GTs you listed won by Contador: 1 (Nibali)
ohh really?
GT winners from Nibali list: 2 (piti+cadel)
GT winners from AC list: 6 (nibbs,piti,froome,andy,armstrong,wiggins...not counting scarponi obviously)

edit: I didnt even mention their peaks,thats for long time,but guess for whom its better

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Is Nibali going to be part of this thread till the TdF completes?

When ppl make references to history, i just hope they know wht they are talking abt.

The results always are impacted by race conditions during those years. Some riders had magical seasons.(every amazing ride doesnt belong to clinic).

Jack_89 said:
Disrespectful where he said that's ? Where?:rolleyes:

he only said that Berto will try to gain about 1/1.30 min.Stop.
Where is disrespecful?

I think it also means that he attacks in Chevreres 'cause 1 min in 5-6km on last climb is much
"Evertything and everybody were ready. He (Contador) would have smashed them all monday. He would have taken a minute, maybe a minute and a half, on Nibali"

It's a if Nibali has no real skill compared to Contador.
I'll leave it at that. You can take the horse to the water...

ILovecycling said:
ohh really?
GT winners from AC list: 6 (nibbs,piti,froome,andy,armstrong,wiggins...not counting scarponi obviously)

edit: I didnt even mention their peaks,thats for long time,but guess for whom its better

At the time when those races where won Froome, Andy and Wiggo where NOT GT winners. But this talk is pointless, this is the Alberto Contador Fans Thread, for some around here is the greatest of all time. Real talk about Tour de France 2014 should be taken elswhere.

Netserk said:
Valverde and Armstrong not GT winners?
ops, totally forgot Valverde. Armstrong I didn't count him as he was dsq.

ILovecycling said:
ohh really?

At the time, I said.

TRENDING THREADS