• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 911 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:
Roche of course has shared some "secrets" about AC with Froome and Sky...anyone think that will show next year at all?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/froome-contador-two-greatest-rivals-says-nicolas-roche-154542

Maybe he told Froome, the secret of Alberto is his cofee which is the one that Froome's has been making fun of Alberto about :D. Well what do you expect? Roche comes to Sky is bound to have him sharing of all Alberto's secrets. (whatever that would be) Same with deJongh, Yates and Julich came to TS. The only question is which secrets are worth more? the rider or the coach? And it's not like Roche was Alberto's training partrner all the time. Roche trained a lot with Roman judging from Roman's twitter.

Besides wasn't that there's some rumor about Roche actually wanted to stay but he wanted more money? So, spilling the secret might be a way to stick it to Oleg!! Beside of course it's the natural thing to do for your new team. Other wise what's his worthy off? (not that I underestimate his skill). But he will face lots of strong climbers to lead his own GT. Poel, Konig, Porte, Henao, Froome, and Geraint, Kennaugh (medium climb). I thought at TS he got more room for that (even with the arrival of Sagan. It's not like Sagan can win Paris-Niece or Romandie or Switzerland)

ow look coffee shop stop. Told ya'.. roche (front bottom left) is busy telling froome and sky about Alberto and his coffee :D

B7J2oE8IQAAw-n4.jpg:medium

LaFlorecita said:
Honestly if you crash those gloves aren't going to make a big difference. They'll just tear... (I think)

They make a big difference. I crashed on a high speed descent and had I not had gloves on, my palms would've been shredded to a bloody mess. Instead only the knuckle on my left thumb was damaged. Impulsively braced my hand as I fell, sliding across the tarmac grinded my knuckle to the bone. My gloves tore partially but were repairable. Wearing gloves is always better than none at all when it comes to crashes.

Angliru said:
They make a big difference. I crashed on a high speed descent and had I not had gloves on, my palms would've been shredded to a bloody mess. Instead only the knuckle on my left thumb was damaged. Impulsively braced my hand as I fell, sliding across the tarmac grinded my knuckle to the bone. My gloves tore partially but were repairable. Wearing gloves is always better than none at all when it comes to crashes.

Okay palms, more protection of course, I was thinking of knuckles, this image came to my mind
Alberto-Contador-TdF-stage-10-crash-3.jpg

Either way Contador trains without a helmet often too, as long as you ride uphill and go downhill carefully the risk is minimal I guess

Angliru said:

Make some difference in preventing ulnal nerve damage too if riding for long periods.

Hate those images, LaFlo. Horrible to imagine just how much that crash hurt and how gutted he was to quit last year. This is my only big fear about 2015 - win or lose I can cope with, because of the greatness of giving the double a go, but if he crashes out and can't try, I'll be absolutely devastated.

That said, perhaps the things I appreciate more than anything about cyclists is their endurance, resilience and bloody minded courage.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Either way Contador trains without a helmet often too, as long as you ride uphill and go downhill carefully the risk is minimal I guess

In some countries you can be fined for riding a bike on open roads without a helmet. Just like riding through a tunnel without lights.

trevim said:
It's the beard! I'm trying that same trick myself although Alberto doesn't need to become more respectable :p

Swarthy Alberto. All very Viva Zapata! But I'm no fan of the scruffy beard - can't be fagged to shave look. Prefer a bit of clean-cut understated style tbh.

Don't think he quite looks 50 though - just knackered.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Dr. Juice said:
UCI should allow wearing no helmet on a MTF (final climb). It's a shame they banned that at the end of 2004.

I agree, was great watching the final climb with n ohelmet. I would love Froome to bring the cap back like my avatar, how cool would that be.

Mick and Saxo talk Double

Alberto will have a strong and committed team. Hopefully Roman will be on it also!

The veteran Australian is coming off perhaps his best season ever, with two stage wins at the Giro d?Italia and another, his first, at the Tour de France.

Despite that personal success, the 35-year-old said his goals for 2015 are very clear: to help teammate Alberto Contador attempt to become the first rider in nearly 20 years to win the Giro and Tour in the same season.

?The goal is to help Alberto. If anyone can do it, he can,? Rogers told VeloNews. ?We?ll bring a strong squad to help Alberto. I hope to ride both the Giro and Tour, just like I did last year. That worked out pretty good.?

For 2015, Rogers will be an integral part of the Tinkoff squad as Contador aims to become the first rider since Marco Pantani in 1998 to pull off the Giro-Tour double.

?We will bring a very strong team to help Alberto in both races,? said Tinkoff sport director Lars Michaelsen. ?It will probably be one of Alberto?s strongest teams he?s ever had. We?re supporting him 100 percent.?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015...ng-contador-take-shot-giro-tour-double_359835

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Is majka doing the giro as super domestique this year, or will they gamble on Basso and Rrgers?
Leaving Kreuziger, Kiser and Majka for the tour?

I would think a few of them will do the double wont they?

Contador doesn't anyone in the giro. If he stays on his bike, he'll destroy them all and they'll give up immediately.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
So Rogers, Basso, Hernandez, Bennati, Tosatto for the Giro ...and Rogers, Majka, Kiserlovski, Sagan do the Tour.
Sagan on his own of course (mostly).
Rest to be announced and crashes or injuries might change the plan.

Rogers, Basso, Hernandez are the key teammates for Alberto in the Giro. Majka, Kiserlovski and Rogers in the Tour for the mountains.
I suspect that Bennati and Tosatto also do the double? In the Tour every teammate is important...on the flat and on the climbs.

TRENDING THREADS