• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 950 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Nice TT from alberto, indeed.

Now I just saw Catalunya kicks off next monday already, ouch! Contador seems average, Froome will be more or less like last year at this point if he was really sick, it'll be up to Quintana not to lose it really.

And then to wait over a month and 2 weeks to see the Contador from last year with veins popping out and shtuff :cool:

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Decent TT from him today.

Showed everyone that he's where he is supposed to be.

Also, when he's not at 90-100 %, like Vuelta 2012 and beginning of the Vuelta 2014, he seems to lack a little punch on the climbs, when he attacks.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
Nice TT from alberto, indeed.

Now I just saw Catalunya kicks off next monday already, ouch! Contador seems average, Froome will be more or less like last year at this point if he was really sick, it'll be up to Quintana not to lose it really.

And then to wait over a month and 2 weeks to see the Contador from last year with veins popping out and shtuff :cool:

Catalunya is a way different race then Tirreno. And a local guy will be extremely motivated to win there.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Ditto. Descent ITT. He is faster than anyone who beats him in prologue, by not much. But it's still nice. Hopefully he recovers and ready for Catalunya. So there's won't be walk in the park for Froome. Next week will be his final race, I wonder how he will approach it. I know he'll give it all. But if he is with this form, then it would be hurt to see Froome flying ahead again. Btw is Quintana going to Dwars and E3? then he won't line up in Catalunya then. Aaahhh... i was hoping to see the inform quintana at least giving Froome a hard time. And see if contador can match him this time.

I agreed that he lacks of punch on the climb. Just remembering how Froome's attack at Ruta. He always managed to dislodge everyone.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Guys, Contador is old. Accept the fact. He will have issues with recovery. That is why I think he still can win Giro, but no way in hell he could win Tour after Giro unless he quits or crashed out of Giro in early stages.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

ICEROCK said:
Guys, Contador is old. Accept the fact. He will have issues with recovery. That is why I think he still can win Giro, but no way in hell he could win Tour after Giro unless he quits or crashed out of Giro in early stages.

Recovery never was an issue for him. let's disregard that last year was one of his best years in his career.

He'll decline eventually sure. No one disputed that. But as history has proven riders can prolong their careers and still have a very respectable if not the same level as when they were younger.

Canc, piti, purito, evans (one of the oldest tour winners iirc), peraud,...

Suddenly being terrible after last year is a ridiculous mindset and based on nothing unless you still have nightmares from 2013.

He's btw not even that bad in this TA. For a double he's in fine shape

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

ICEROCK said:

Nah, I don't think I will bother accepting the fantasy facts you have outlined.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
Ah that is dissappointing

hey look at the bright side. He can use the mountain for training. Not bad at all. He said he enjoyed breaking the peloton apart on stage 6. So might as well do it another dress reahearsal before he does that in the Giro and Tour :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Bertie obviously feeling a bit better. I reckon he's having a laugh. If anyone can do the Giro / Tour double then go on to win the Vuelta " its the dream" then Bertie can.
If he can win the giro at ease then the tour is a real possibility.
IMO Quintana " tinymanofpower" would be his main tour rival.

Re:

ICEROCK said:

because he recovered so badly after breaking his leg last year ? If I recall, Froome had longer, a less serious injury and recovered less well. I don't think AC'll have any bigger issues recovering than any one of his main rivals would between the Giro and the Tour. It won't be a cake walk, but I'd place bets on his recovery over many others.

Nice to hear Bertie sounding quite a bit more chipper. ackh, he's a hard guy not to like. Dunno how people manage it. As for Catalunya... I don't care that much about it, so long as he's keeping to plan.

Miburo said:
ICEROCK said:

Recovery never was an issue for him. let's disregard that last year was one of his best years in his career.

He'll decline eventually sure. No one disputed that. But as history has proven riders can prolong their careers and still have a very respectable if not the same level as when they were younger.

Suddenly being terrible after last year is a ridiculous mindset and based on nothing unless you still have nightmares from 2013.

It's pointless comparing Contador to other riders. He won the Tour at 24 or 25. He has said himself that two more years will probably see him off. Riders like Contador that win from a young age never keep it going as long as people like Evans who had a later start in the sport and was a much different rider. Contador's best chance to win the double was 2011. Take out the knee problems and the crashes he might have have really pushed Evans but it was obvious in the final week that the fatigue was also getting to him even though he kept attacking and Evans was having the best year of his career. I give Contador no chance of doing the double this year. In 2011 he came off an easy Giro win and gifted stages but even then Contador said it was a much harder Giro than it looked and then to back up and do the Tour and win is incredibly difficult. If he was not up against Froome and Quintana I would give him a much better chance. And there has to be question marks about Nibali and whether he will be in the sort of form he was in last July. If he is then he will be another rider for Contador to worry about.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Miburo said:
ICEROCK said:

It's pointless comparing Contador to other riders. He won the Tour at 24 or 25. He has said himself that two more years will probably see him off. Riders like Contador that win from a young age never keep it going as long as people like Evans who had a later start in the sport and was a much different rider. Contador's best chance to win the double was 2011. Take out the knee problems and the crashes he might have have really pushed Evans but it was obvious in the final week that the fatigue was also getting to him even though he kept attacking and Evans was having the best year of his career. I give Contador no chance of doing the double this year. In 2011 he came off an easy Giro win and gifted stages but even then Contador said it was a much harder Giro than it looked and then to back up and do the Tour and win is incredibly difficult. If he was not up against Froome and Quintana I would give him a much better chance. And there has to be question marks about Nibali and whether he will be in the sort of form he was in last July. If he is then he will be another rider for Contador to worry about.

Damn. Pitty you didn't tell him he was wasting his time before he came up with his no chance at all plan for 2015. Contador must be really stupid.

arvc40 said:
movingtarget said:
Miburo said:
ICEROCK said:

Damn. Pitty you didn't tell him he was wasting his time before he came up with his no chance at all plan for 2015. Contador must be really stupid.

I know right. What were they thinking :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Miburo said:
ICEROCK said:

What about piti? He won at 22 already, he's still up there and 2 years older than contador?

There we go, i agree though contador doesn't have that many great years left but saying that he's declining right now is silly and based nothing but a race in TA(not what you said but something else)

Nibali being up there might be in Contador's favor. That means there's another guy froome and quintana have to worry about too.

In the giro 2011 contador also didn't save himself, and that giro was a very hard one. I'm sure that contador learned a lot from it and will do better job now and we don't know btw how the crashes in the tour affected contador's form.

And being almost 2 min behind after 2 days puts you in such a terrible spot.

But yea this year it'll be way way harder

TRENDING THREADS