• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 981 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nothing this season intrigues me as much as what level he'll be at.
On one hand he's not been at a good level early on, on the other hand he wasn't either in 2011 when he also went for the double.
On the one hand he says he'll be in last year's form, on the other he has a tendency to spout BS about form - in 2013 he said before the Dauphiné he had beaten his climbing record in training on some random climb.

I don't see why he wouldn't be as good as last year, but then again I can't explain 2013 either.

Can't wait for May.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what agility is in the context of riding a bike. Sir Bradley's wondrous ability to assume the perfect aero position on a bike is the only thing that comes to mind. Sagan's tricks maybe as well.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Nothing this season intrigues me as much as what level he'll be at.
On one hand he's not been at a good level early on, on the other hand he wasn't either in 2011 when he also went for the double.
On the one hand he says he'll be in last year's form, on the other he has a tendency to spout BS about form - in 2013 he said before the Dauphiné he had beaten his climbing record in training on some random climb.

I don't see why he wouldn't be as good as last year, but then again I can't explain 2013 either.

Can't wait for May.

This. I am really really curious as to what shape he'll really be in at the beginning of the Giro. But I am also quite optimistic it won't be a 2013 repeat. For peace of mind I'd like him to already be in the shape to leave his rivals littered all over the mountain (esp, please God, Porte) but not being quite that ridiculously dominant might be better for the Tour. Ack, it's been a long hard wait but cannot wait for May, indeed.

It's been a bit of a funny build up for the main contenders IMHO.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Not sure what agility is in the context of riding a bike. Sir Bradley's wondrous ability to assume the perfect aero position on a bike is the only thing that comes to mind. Sagan's tricks maybe as well.
I think Jack means he's kind of lost his swift climbing style. Pedals turning rapidly, swinging from one side to the other. Now he's just stomping on the pedals :D

Re: Re:

Jack_89 said:
Ataraxus said:
Jack_89 said:
Yeah ,and this partially explains why he lost the agility of a time ( in addition to the limitations imposed by age )

Contador hasn't lost his agility IMHO. It's that others have gotten agile-er :D

I.wrote partially....anyway searh videos of 2007-2009 and compare with 2014. The difference is obvious ;)
It was most obvious in Pais Vasco stage 1 IMO. My oh my. My legs hurt just watching him push that big gear on that steep climb :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The whole big gear thing was already a thing in '09, rewatch the stage where he dropped everyone and almost took a minute in PN'09. He rode away from them without even standing up, with a big gear.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
I think Jack means he's kind of lost his swift climbing style. Pedals turning rapidly, swinging from one side to the other. Now he's just stomping on the pedals :D

exactly, the truth is that I did not know how to write that concept so I used the word agility :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Kwibus said:
Where is Contador atm?

Im on tenerife and if he's here I will stalk mt.Teide until I find him ;)

You should, this is one of the last time you'll most likely see contador at his prime. Don't miss the chance.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I met Bertie in London a few years ago. I happened to have a cycling mag in my bag and he signed the picture of him in the mag. His manager or PA who was with him then took out a few posters they had in a bag and he signed one of them for me as well. I have the mag photo on my wall. The poster is still folded in my box of stuff buts going in a new frame in the hall. I offered it to Bertie's no 1 fan FrenchFighter on BR forum but he did not want :confused:
Bertie was in street clothes and he looked tiny almost like a jockey. I have seen him race a few times and he looks so much bigger on the bike "if you get me" A very nice chap.

ray j willings said:
I met Bertie in London a few years ago. I happened to have a cycling mag in my bag and he signed the picture of him in the mag. His manager or PA who was with him then took out a few posters they had in a bag and he signed one of them for me as well. I have the mag photo on my wall. The poster is still folded in my box of stuff buts going in a new frame in the hall. I offered it to Bertie's no 1 fan FrenchFighter on BR forum but he did not want :confused:
Bertie was in street clothes and he looked tiny almost like a jockey. I have seen him race a few times and he looks so much bigger on the bike "if you get me" A very nice chap.
That is such a nice story ray j :) I hope to see Alberto at the Tour start this year and get his signature ! :) about him looking tiny, He is not too big. And even riders like Cancellara look small and skinny in street clothes :D

TRENDING THREADS