• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1011 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Radiographic examinations which Alberto Contador has been subjected in the evening in the Hospital of Grosseto excluded limb injuries. Therefore, as transpires from the headquarters of Tinkoff-Saxo, Spanish runner tomorrow, May 15, is expected to start.
The medical bulletin issued recently by the organisation of the 98 or cycling tour of Italy States that "Contador was submitted to radiographic and echographic survey at the left shoulder, injured in the fall." "The clinical examination-say doctors-has a slight left knee instability compared to the contralateral side. The athlete blames a mild shoulder pain ". Daniele Colli, another runner embroiled in today's frightening fall, blames "a compound fracture of the left humerus, while Tac has excluded other injury fratturative or dependants of the internal organs in the abdomen and chest."
rom Giro's organisation:

Jelantik said:
No_Balls said:
Jelantik said:
HiroAntagonist said:
Having dislocated my shoulder a few times, i can say they were quick recoveries. I think where problems can arise is when connective tissue is affected adversely, so it will probably come down to how the dislocation occurred as someone else mentioned.

yeah.. i have a cronic dislocated shoulder all the time. (should have surgery to fix it). Uff, the muscle will be so tender and sore like hell. Typically take me couple days to feel normal. I hope he is not like Purito's injury when he finally pulled out of the giro after riding with fractured rib (oh no). I'm very concern. Tomorrow is very demanding stage and saturday is the second mountain finish. I hope for good news (keep my finger crossed)

Are you comparing a dislocated shoulder to a fractured rib? The one gives you at best a stiff feeling while you with the other cant escape the problem of having hard to breathe. No they are not comparable at all.

no. I don't compare the dislocated shoulder vs fracture rib. You misunderstood me. I was saying hopefully there's nothing hidden (such as: minor fracture etc.) on his crash. I don't him to end up trying to ride the giro by hiding a more serious injury that what it's being reported. That's what I meant.

Ah i see. Yeah, that is the question but it seems as if there are nothing more to it then this. And as many already have adressed that if it is a great deal of pain involved then it is usually more factors involved then simply a dislocated shoulder.

On a side note: isnt it for occasions like this his wing man Jesus would do good? Nothing beats a good friend by your side on rougher days and he could hardly perform worse then Ivan.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The beauty and beast of cycling will "dislocate" a GT this year.. Of that I'am pretty sure...

What remains to be seen is which one(s)....

Also, he certainly has been value for money when it comes to dramatic developments throughout his career...

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
damian13ster said:
You guys are hysterical. Dislocated shoulder is not a big deal. You pop it back in and its all good again. Bit of a discomfort but in no way does it affect a performance, will not prevent sleep, etc.

It is no big deal if you can go home and relax on your couch...

Contador is aiming to win a GT and have a nice little starter tomorrow with 264 km up and down...

Maybe he will be fine, maybe not.. We just don't know..

mrhender said:
damian13ster said:
You guys are hysterical. Dislocated shoulder is not a big deal. You pop it back in and its all good again. Bit of a discomfort but in no way does it affect a performance, will not prevent sleep, etc.

Contador is aiming to win a GT and have a nice little starter tomorrow with 264 km up and down...

Good post.
I think it's funny how some people here compare their own circumstances with that of professional athletes. Some things are comparable...injuries aren't one of them.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
damian13ster said:

If I were you I'd bet the house on Contador then. Might even take out a loan for maximum leverage.

Jspear said:
mrhender said:
damian13ster said:

Good post.
I think it's funny how some people here compare their own circumstances with that of professional athletes. Some things are comparable...injuries aren't one of them.

Yeah it amazing these guys who Aren't out Winning the Giro think it is so darned easy to do!!! Hey just pop it in and go ride on at an elite level....BLECK

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Who does he have to provide the right mental support/pacing now?

De jongh? Basso?

Is this the first big leadership-test for Tinkov?

Must be quite a blow form him, regardless of his tough character...

Jspear said:
mrhender said:
damian13ster said:

Good post.

You mean a dislocated shoulder is a more professional dislocated shoulder because its on Contador and not on ordinary people? Hilarious. Perhaps that is why we laugh? Because we are like a thousand times less tougher then Contador and still can shrug it off. Of course, we didnt aim for the Giro but as he doesnt pedal with the shoulders (and seeing what he has achieved during his career) we could afford to be at least a little optimistic.

I know there is a mob around here wishing that he should pack up and leave even if he would hit his forehead on the kitchen lamp but where does this sadistic urge to always be wrong comes from? Haven't you learned nothing from how wrong you were before Vuelta?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
What's not comparable is the effect it has on elite sportsmen having an elite 3 week competition with little respite where small edges determine victory or defeat and the effect it has on Joe Blow sitting in the office or riding a bike Sundays.

But yes, a dislocated shoulder is a dislocated shoulder

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Why does he have ice on both knees? :confused: :confused:

CE_Wc-AWgAAsu93.jpg

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador put his shoulder back into place directly a fter the crash.

He shouldn't have done that, that's just dumb. He should have layed down and wait for help. Time was of no concern.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
What's not comparable is the effect it has on elite sportsmen having an elite 3 week competition with little respite where small edges determine victory or defeat and the effect it has on Joe Blow sitting in the office or riding a bike Sundays.

Certainly gonna have to grit his teeth !. Watch the others put the boot in ASAP.

No_Balls said:
Jspear said:
mrhender said:
damian13ster said:

Good post.

You mean a dislocated shoulder is a more professional dislocated shoulder because its on Contador and not on ordinary people? Hilarious. Perhaps that is why we laugh? Because we are like a thousand times less tougher then Contador and still can shrug it off. Of course, we didnt aim for the Giro but as he doesnt pedal with the shoulders (and seeing what he has achieved during his career) we could afford to be at least a little optimistic.

I know there is a mob around here wishing that he should pack up and leave even if he would hit his forehead on the kitchen lamp but where does this sadistic urge to always be wrong comes from? Haven't you learned nothing from how wrong you were before Vuelta?

You obviously don't know me or what I have posted about on this forum in the past.
What I mean is that you with the same injury as AC, will not be as affected because your professional life (I'm assuming) isn't as physically demanding as his. That shouldn't be a very hard thing to grasp. Most individuals don't know what it takes to win a gt. It is VERY physically demanding.

I don't know what you mean by "wrong" before the Vuelta. I don't recall making any predictions or anything as to what he would achieve. Feel free to show me were I have.

I will say, for this Giro, I would like nothing more than to see him win. If he is able to press on and do so I'm all for that. If you check my post history I think you'll find I haven't been saying he should give up. I'm simply trying to point out some of the naive comments that have been posted recently regarding pro's and the injuries they sustain.

Re:

SeriousSam said:

This is a valid point. But it is a far cry from at least continue on with the (perhaps little lesser) chance to win from the pack up and leave-brigade who basically said the same thing prior to La Vuelta. And that could perhaps been even more justified after that speedy recovery of his knee lining up against top notch riders.

Re: Re:

The_Cheech said:
carton said:
I've seen people in excruciating pain for weeks.

If that's the case then it wasn't a shoulder dislocation alone, or a dislocation at all. The person may have teared a tendon off of the bone or tore a muscle. I've seen it it happen at my gym: Someone tore a pectoralis and, although it didn't hurt at first, the man was in pain for days after that. And his whole right side of the upperbody was purple, like he'd just gotten beaten up.

Dislocations seldom produce any pain at at. It's the inflamation that follows that can be a pain in the you-know-what if you do not treat it.
I'm talking about a shoulder dislocation from a fall on a bike at about 40kph into the asphalt. I've seen the medical reports stating that it was a dislocation. The MRI's and X-Rays apparently showed no other signs of trauma. Arm in a sling for two weeks. Tapped the guy on the shoulder inadvertently maybe four weeks later, he yelped. Sure, he's not a pro, but a regular cyclist accustomed to a bit of pain -not a guy to give anything away if he wasn't in real pain. He hasn't had any surgery since or any signs of anything else wrong.

Also, a grade school teacher of mine once described having her shoulder popped back in as more painful than giving birth. She was a tough Vermont woman. Arm also in a sling for several days.

On the other hand, a guy I know had a really weak socket from several dislocations would pop his shoulder back in no sweat. It was disgusting, though.

Anyway, from what I understand the more it happens the more likely it will happen again. I'm betting that if Contador popped it back in himself he's had it happen before. And if it really happened twice today? It's hard no think he wouldn't be better off pulling out (no pun intended).

Anyone remember 2008? He was riding into form during the Giro and had a microfracture in his arm from an early flat stage. Stage 7 was all about minimizing losses. Everyone put the hammer down to get rid of him and he only lost a few seconds.

...but this is not the Contador of 2008.

Re: Re:

carton said:
Anyway, from what I understand the more it happens the more likely it will happen again. I'm betting that if Contador popped it back in himself he's had it happen before. And if it really happened twice today? He's probably much better off pulling out (no pun intended).
If it happened to him before why would he think it was a broken collar bone?

TRENDING THREADS