• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1012 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Anyone remember 2008? He was riding into form during the Giro and had a microfracture in his arm from an early flat stage. Stage 7 was all about minimizing losses. Everyone put the hammer down to get rid of him and he only lost a few seconds.

...but this is not the Contador of 2008.
This is not a about Giro, but about saving himself in order to do Double :rolleyes:

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
carton said:
Anyway, from what I understand the more it happens the more likely it will happen again. I'm betting that if Contador popped it back in himself he's had it happen before. And if it really happened twice today? He's probably much better off pulling out (no pun intended).
If it happened to him before why would he think it was a broken collar bone?
Touché. I'm not a doctor and he isn't either?

Also, if he really thought it was a broken collarbone he'd be very daft to reset it himself.

What a shitty crash. Cause was shitty beyond shittiness.

Colli's arm ended up in a huge pile *** and in the richochet Contadors shoulder went to *** which might eventually end this Giro into ***.

Sorry.

This all just sucks.

Hope Contador sleeps well and feels great tomorrow. Let's hope it won't hurt him the slightest.
Vamos Alberto!

El parte médico oficial: "El corredor 201 Alberto Contador Velasco (TCS) se sometió radiografías y tomografías del hombro izquierdo que se dañó durante la caída. El examen clínico reveló una inestabilidad menor de la articulación del hombro izquierdo, en comparación con el hombro derecho. El corredor muestra un leve dolor".

This nos sound very serious, "minor inestabilyty in the articulation of his left shoulder". But if tomorrow someone do the stage hard (becouse is a stage of 6-7 hours) will be a problem for the hard stages of the weekend. if the stage is quite, he could recover but anyway should be a problem for those two stages, hopefully not a big problem.

I remember that the diagnosis of his crash of the Tour was not very serious, but despite that everybody said it would be a miracle to race the Vuelta, and in that case, just for a stage. (everybody whatched how he did very fast a bif climb with that injury, just in the cold of the descent he needed to stop, logical)

Translate: El ciclista español Alberto Contador no va a necesitar cirugía de la lesión sufrida en el Tour de Francia, ya que sufre una fractura intraarticular de la meseta tibial, según las pruebas diagnósticas realizadas esta tarde en la Clinica CEMTRO de Madrid. El doctor Manuel Leyes Vence, del Servicio de Traumatología de la misma, afirma que "el pronóstico es bueno y podemos realizar un tratamiento conservador sin cirugía - See more at: http://www.clinicacemtro.com/es/sala-de-prensa/noticias/892-alberto-contador-sufre-una-fractura-de-la-meseta-tibial-que-no-precisa-cirugia#sthash.KbIROXLX.dpuf

That iwas the reality, and no a complicated injury that need one month of totally rest as a normal broken tibia.

So now it said about dislocation, I dont say no, but maybe that need more explanation.

The reality was that he was stopped healing two weeks, as is the apropiate for the injury the diagnosis said

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Kwibus said:
What a shitty crash. Cause was shitty beyond shittiness.

Colli's arm ended up in a huge pile **** and in the richochet Contadors shoulder went to **** which might eventually end this Giro into ****.

Sorry.

This all just sucks.

Hope Contador sleeps well and feels great tomorrow. Let's hope it won't hurt him the slightest.
Vamos Alberto!

X2 fingers crossed !

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
21:00 CET: Alberto Contador has spoken, and confirmed that he dislocated his shoulder twice today. Once in the crash and then just before the podium presentation. “In principle, there was a dislocation [of the shoulder] from when I fell. I got up, my shoulder was dislocated, and acting on instinct I popped it back in. I was scared because I thought I had broken my collarbone, which I have never broken in my life, then when we were at the foot of the podium it [the shoulder] came out again:” More on that here.

this is what concerning me. The second dislocated shoulder while he was waiting on the foot of the podium. For god shake if his shoulder just come off like that, how he is going to hold the handle bar to stand in the climb without worrying that his shoulder is going to pop out again?? I'm worried about the tear ligament that hold the shoulder. Is there any sling or some type of wrapper that can hold the shoulder from going out by itself while it's healing??.. That's crazy.. just pop off like that while he was waiting?? :eek: It might be more serious than what we are all thought..

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

WheelofGear said:
Miburo said:
Contador put his shoulder back into place directly a fter the crash.

He shouldn't have done that, that's just dumb. He should have layed down and wait for help. Time was of no concern.
It was a reflex. You may have done it as well.

Yea but i ain't trying to win a gt

Jelantik said:
21:00 CET: Alberto Contador has spoken, and confirmed that he dislocated his shoulder twice today. Once in the crash and then just before the podium presentation. “In principle, there was a dislocation [of the shoulder] from when I fell. I got up, my shoulder was dislocated, and acting on instinct I popped it back in. I was scared because I thought I had broken my collarbone, which I have never broken in my life, then when we were at the foot of the podium it [the shoulder] came out again:” More on that here.

this is what concerning me. The second dislocated shoulder while he was waiting on the foot of the podium. For god shake if his shoulder just come off like that, how he is going to hold the handle bar to stand in the climb without worrying that his shoulder is going to pop out again?? I'm worried about the tear ligament that hold the shoulder. Is there any sling or some type of wrapper that can hold the shoulder from going out by itself while it's healing??.. That's crazy.. just pop off like that while he was waiting?? :eek: It might be more serious than what we are all thought..

Probably because , in the first time, he didn't pop shoulder back correcty. So it moved out again

Jspear said:
No_Balls said:
Jspear said:
mrhender said:
damian13ster said:
You guys are hysterical. Dislocated shoulder is not a big deal. You pop it back in and its all good again. Bit of a discomfort but in no way does it affect a performance, will not prevent sleep, etc.

It is no big deal if you can go home and relax on your couch...

Contador is aiming to win a GT and have a nice little starter tomorrow with 264 km up and down...

Maybe he will be fine, maybe not.. We just don't know..

Good post.
I think it's funny how some people here compare their own circumstances with that of professional athletes. Some things are comparable...injuries aren't one of them.

You mean a dislocated shoulder is a more professional dislocated shoulder because its on Contador and not on ordinary people? Hilarious. Perhaps that is why we laugh? Because we are like a thousand times less tougher then Contador and still can shrug it off. Of course, we didnt aim for the Giro but as he doesnt pedal with the shoulders (and seeing what he has achieved during his career) we could afford to be at least a little optimistic.

I know there is a mob around here wishing that he should pack up and leave even if he would hit his forehead on the kitchen lamp but where does this sadistic urge to always be wrong comes from? Haven't you learned nothing from how wrong you were before Vuelta?

You obviously don't know me or what I have posted about on this forum in the past.
What I mean is that you with the same injury as AC, will not be as affected because your professional life (I'm assuming) isn't as physically demanding as his. That shouldn't be a very hard thing to grasp. Most individuals don't know what it takes to win a gt. It is VERY physically demanding.

I don't know what you mean by "wrong" before the Vuelta. I don't recall making any predictions or anything as to what he would achieve. Feel free to show me were I have.

I will say, for this Giro, I would like nothing more than to see him win. If he is able to press on and do so I'm all for that. If you check my post history I think you'll find I haven't been saying he should give up. I'm simply trying to point out some of the naive comments that have been posted recently regarding pro's and the injuries they sustain.

Yes. But most people doesnt know the nature of injuries either and shouldnt compare themselves with professional athletes like Contador. That is what people do when they shout that he should retire and focus on the Tour or whatever. Would you dare guess what effect a dislocated shoulder (which by now isnt dislocated by the way) have on a professional rider who already overcomed a near death experience? I know i wouldnt. This isnt even an injury ffs!

It is to stick with the worst case scenario even after facts are on the table. And the facts are that nothing is broken (which is good news), he himself seems optimistic and will continue the race. To me that is a clear indication he is still in for it and one would think people stopped doubting Contador by now. Clearly i was wrong.

I was talking more general. You just voiced that sentiment at the wrong time.

You obviously don't know me or what I have posted about on this forum in the past.
What I mean is that you with the same injury as AC, will not be as affected because your professional life (I'm assuming) isn't as physically demanding as his. That shouldn't be a very hard thing to grasp. Most individuals don't know what it takes to win a gt. It is VERY physically demanding.

I don't know what you mean by "wrong" before the Vuelta. I don't recall making any predictions or anything as to what he would achieve. Feel free to show me were I have.

I will say, for this Giro, I would like nothing more than to see him win. If he is able to press on and do so I'm all for that. If you check my post history I think you'll find I haven't been saying he should give up. I'm simply trying to point out some of the naive comments that have been posted recently regarding pro's and the injuries they sustain.

Actually at a time I was working physically with my hands, as opposed to working with legs so it was more physically demanding on the injured area than cycling, but I guess some stranger on a forum knows better....
Dislocated shoulder is not a big deal. Just have to watch out not to put it in some ridiculous angles or put huge amounts of weight on it for 2-3 days and you are fine.

Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Anyone remember 2008? He was riding into form during the Giro and had a microfracture in his arm from an early flat stage. Stage 7 was all about minimizing losses. Everyone put the hammer down to get rid of him and he only lost a few seconds.

...but this is not the Contador of 2008.

He is not (not the same cycling moment) but in terms of recovery he is the same.

I have to say that Contador body is hard, as all cyclist or even more, it is something to admire, becouse I didnt remember that quite well, but is amazing.

Anyway is supposed Hamilton did the Tour with a broken collarbone :eek: , and he finished 4th with a stage win, what is more amazing, totally crazy. I think that is was not exactly a "broken", but it was something similar and is as well amazing.

deportes-20030724-04.jpg

damian13ster said:

Actually at a time I was working physically with my hands, as opposed to working with legs so it was more physically demanding on the injured area than cycling, but I guess some stranger on a forum knows better....
Dislocated shoulder is not a big deal. Just have to watch out not to put it in some ridiculous angles or put huge amounts of weight on it for 2-3 days and you are fine.

Like a TT position?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
damian13ster said:
Like a TT position?

TT is a week away. The pain will be long gone by then.
Dont get ridiculous. It won't have any effect on his performance. Maybe bit less explosive attacks on saturday (no throwing the bike around too much) if he still feels pain in the shoulder, but it is possible that even that won't be a problem
I so hope you are right but I'm quite worried

You're always worried, this looks way better than i thought it would be. If he survives tomorrow he'll win the giro.

damian13ster said:
Like a TT position?

TT is a week away. The pain will be long gone by then.
Dont get ridiculous. It won't have any effect on his performance. Maybe bit less explosive attacks on saturday (no throwing the bike around too much) if he still feels pain in the shoulder, but it is possible that even that won't be a problem

He has a loft dislocation actually, and he has the best medical team to support him.

I have read he couldnt put the maglia for the ice, but I am not sure.

Thanks for the info.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As I said, if he makes it to the finish line tomorrow with the peloton, it's game on. We have to see how he behaves within the pack, no grimacing, his position on the bike when the road goes up and so on.

But I'm very superstitious and I believe the record of not losing the leader jersey in a GT till the end will not be broken, if a dislocated shoulder can't do it then I don't see who will ;)
If this giro was meant to be over for him then he would've broken something and good bye. But tomorrow will be very important.

Jelantik said:

If its worse then we thought it aint what it is supposed to be. Its this simple with diagnoses.

It may sound bad but is perfectly normal if the ligament is not at the proper place. And if the ligament is not on the proper place due to older injuries then you should be worried every time Contador enters a bike. I had my shoulder popped out trying to catch a football in the air or when stretching out on a couch.

He seemed scared it was a broke collarbone suggesting the experience was new and that is very revealing he hasnt suffer this before. Tomorrow is a crucial day, absolutely minimal movement with arms and shoulders on the bike and he'll be fine (actually its bad with these diagnoses to have your arm too steady and fixated as it tends to become too stiff and your movements suffers as a consequence).

"Gracias por vuestros ánimos. Por suerte no hay fracturas, ha sido una dislocacion del hombro, pasare mala noche, pero espero salir mañana."

"Thanks for your support, fortunately there aren't fractures, it has been a shoulder dislocation, I hope to take the start tomorrow.

Re:

hfer07 said:
"Gracias por vuestros ánimos. Por suerte no hay fracturas, ha sido una dislocacion del hombro, pasare mala noche, pero espero salir mañana."

"Thanks for your support, fortunately there aren't fractures, it has been a shoulder dislocation, I hope to take the start tomorrow.

Pasará mala noche , he is right on that, and tomorrow the start of the stage will be the worse, and the end as well.
But later the recovery go on.

TRENDING THREADS