• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1027 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Carols said:
Anyone who thinks Alberto wasn't hurting needs to see this picture. I've Never seen him look like that :(

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/contador_time_is_on_my_side/

Many of the quotes in the article have appeared elsewhere but I haven't seen this one anywhere else:
Today was a very important test for me. Today was crucial. I saved it without problems, and I'm happy. The Giro d'Italia has just started. I'm pretty confident. I'll go better on the bike tomorrow. Time is on my side.

As far as the ITT if his shoulder is good and he can maintain his position he should do quite well, IMO. It is still a week away, plenty of time for assessments of everyone's condition before the ITT.

I'm thinking that is not so much of a "my shoulder is killing me " look as a "watch out" look. Aru has an odd look on his face also.

Re: Re:

veganrob said:
Carols said:
Anyone who thinks Alberto wasn't hurting needs to see this picture. I've Never seen him look like that :(

Many of the quotes in the article have appeared elsewhere but I haven't seen this one anywhere else:
Today was a very important test for me. Today was crucial. I saved it without problems, and I'm happy. The Giro d'Italia has just started. I'm pretty confident. I'll go better on the bike tomorrow. Time is on my side.

As far as the ITT if his shoulder is good and he can maintain his position he should do quite well, IMO. It is still a week away, plenty of time for assessments of everyone's condition before the ITT.

I'm thinking that is not so much of a "my shoulder is killing me " look as a "watch out" look. Aru has an odd look on his face also.

Yes, he looks a bit odd

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I think it helped Sagan today on Mt Baldy knowing Alberto is injured but still riding strong like a champ. And I think it will also help Alberto mentally to see what kind of performance his teammate is putting on. Its a win-win situation for both of them.

Carols: You of all people should have learned to trust the man by now.

Does pain make cycling great? Contador was asked. And he replied that halfway through yesterday’s [Friday’s] interminably long stage, he had been wondering about a similar kind of question. “I’d done four hours on the bike, and there were around four hours left to ride. And I suddenly thought to myself, ‘this is what cycling is all about."

No_Balls said:
Carols: You of all people should have learned to trust the man by now.

Does pain make cycling great? Contador was asked. And he replied that halfway through yesterday’s [Friday’s] interminably long stage, he had been wondering about a similar kind of question. “I’d done four hours on the bike, and there were around four hours left to ride. And I suddenly thought to myself, ‘this is what cycling is all about."

I trust he will win this race :)

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:

Alberto will do really well in the ITT if he recovers well. I think he will beat Porte by 30-45sec assuming he recovers. Aru will be a couple of minutes behind Contador.

Re:

ILovecycling said:
How I see ITT results

Uran winning
Porte 1'
Alberto 1'10''
Cataldo 1'20''
Konig 1'50''
Fabio 1'55''

Wishful thinking on your forecast- but unless Rigo somehow becomes Tony Martin, is very Unlikely to get those kinds of gaps against the likes of Contador & Porte-however -He may challenge the stage win- depending of course how good his legs are & his recovery from the cold...

The Hitch said:
Jack_89 said:
Netserk said:
Porte is overrated as a TTer, especially since he has lost weight. Porte won't take pink from Contador.

I agree. Everbody talks about as he is Wiggins

Doesn't Porte have way more tt wins and podiums at this stage of his career than Wiggins did going into 2012?

Nope, opposite. Did a quick count. Porte has 14 wins or podiums in tt's and prologues.
Wiggins has 17 tt and prologue wins or podiums before 2012.

hfer07 said:
ILovecycling said:
How I see ITT results

Uran winning
Porte 1'
Alberto 1'10''
Cataldo 1'20''
Konig 1'50''
Fabio 1'55''

Wishful thinking on your forecast- but unless Rigo somehow becomes Tony Martin, is very Unlikely to get those kinds of gaps against the likes of Contador & Porte-however -He may challenge the stage win- depending of course how good his legs are & his recovery from the cold...
It's 60km... if he is good he could take 1 min... Porte is a mystery to me.. I could see him anywhere from winning 30s on Berto to losing 30s...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

hfer07 said:
ILovecycling said:
How I see ITT results

Uran winning
Porte 1'
Alberto 1'10''
Cataldo 1'20''
Konig 1'50''
Fabio 1'55''

Just my opinion and I think its a good guess, mark my words ;)

Alberto in an original interview:
“Hoy era un día complicado pero espero que el tiempo vaya a mi favor", ha cerrado. "No me sentía cómodo en mi bicicleta, ya se pudo ver, pero pude pasar el día y estoy feliz. Estoy durmiendo con mi brazo inmovilizado, y tengo que recordar que tengo la lesión, y no hacer ningún momento brusco. Espero estar bien para la contrarreloj que podría ser difícil para mí"

Re:

Some very strange words by Oleg there given i thought they had a pretty good "relationship". But i can see him withdraw from cycling in a near future. He has on multiple occasions hinted that he is losing money and that doesnt necessary means in cycling.

The sacking of Bjarne and pointed pressure on Peter is all part of this.

SeriousSam said:
nepetalactone said:
Jelantik said:
Netserk said:
Porte is overrated as a TTer, especially since he has lost weight. Porte won't take pink from Contador.

I really hope so. I know people are talking about Porte will take lots of time to Aru and Contador. And the way he rides so far looks like that he is confident to do so. But the ITT is almost at the end of second week, so everyone will be tired. Depending who still got the best reserve, the result might surprising. But on paper, Uran will be stronger than Porte. And Porte is stronger than Aru and Contador.

I'm not convinced... Has Porte ever performed well in a TT after two weeks in a GT? Contador surely has... Has Porte ever performed well in a 60km TT?

Has anyone? 60km TTs are rare.

2013 world champs was 58km, Porte finished 17th a long way back.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

No_Balls said:
Some very strange words by Oleg there given i thought they had a pretty good "relationship". But i can see him withdraw from cycling in a near future. He has on multiple occasions hinted that he is losing money and that doesnt necessary means in cycling.

The sacking of Bjarne and pointed pressure on Peter is all part of this.

It's enevitible that someone other than Riis will become damaged or thrown aside during Tinkoff's stranglehold on this team. If I were involved I'd exit as fast as possible and look to new horizons. Sagan and Contador can't be 100% happy with this guys ways. Contador wins double this year he may just end it right then, wouldn't blame him either.

I'm afraid you are right and what shame that would be. The narrative would be retire on top but the story behind a bit different.

Oleg wont touch AC in this manner, after all he is his milk cow, but as you say someone else (some riders/staff) will get fired under sniping from Tinkov so that the pressure will be indirect on AC to deliver. Of course, the pressure are always there on riders like him but you can add this pressure without this cynical management by fear Tinkov applies nowadays.

This isnt cycling and both AC and Sagan knows it.

Re:

Red Rick said:
http://www.nu.nl/wielrennen/4050413/tinkov-sluit-niet-hij-wielersport-seizoen-verlaat.html

Tinkoff does not rule out that he'll leave the sport next year, saying it's a hobby, and he may not like it as much next year.

About Contador he says: "We've had our good and bad moments, we're no friends but we don't need to be"

And good riddance to him! Bring back Bjarne and get another sponsor :)

TRENDING THREADS