• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1029 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Astana *** up, i don't think they'll have a shot like that again.

On the mortirolo he'll attack and drop them all and that's pretty much it.

Porte didn't look good today.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Flamin said:
ILovecycling said:
Flamin said:
Just saw a video posted yesterday on Tinkoff-Saxo facebookpage, where Juul Jensen is imitating Michaelsen who's standing outside the team bus giving an interview. Pretty funny.
yea, thats hillarious :D

reminder
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1044116442282545
edit: 'I usee moisturesing cream! LOL :D

Thanks for the link :D Juul just kept on going there, lol.
yea,I saw like 5x times :D

Same here :p especially the massage part

Re:

gunara said:
I always trust his experience and ability in finding a way to win, never think he has to be at exact form level as his opponnents to win, being a little behind has often been sufficient. And from what I've seen in the last two days with rest day ahead, I think he's got enough in him to win this.

And this, apart from all his other attributes, is what I believe marks him out as a true champion.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
SeriousSam said:
That's the conclusion you drew from today's stage? By contrast, the gambling markets are now convinced Contador is as likely to win as before he crashed. Consider making some money.
You and your gambling... :p
There are good reasons to consider the bookmaker odds the best publicly available predictions of events in sport. That's why I keep talking about them, not because I'm a gambler. ;)

I'm back, real life is interfering with my ability to follow the Giro closely LOL!

Today Alberto looked better IMO, not holding himself awkwardly to compensate for his shoulder and no strange facial expressions. I think he trusts the shoulder a lot more, that it isn't going to just pop out on him.

Meanwhile Aru took his best shots at him while he was down 2 days in a row and couldn't budge him :). Lil' Richie hasn't played a single card to date, oh maybe that one weak little attack, he just follows. If he is hiding monster form, he is hiding it pretty well.

No way is Alberto giving up that jersey, it motivates him and he will wear it all the way to Milano! A very satisfying day I think.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
Astana **** up, i don't think they'll have a shot like that again.

On the mortirolo he'll attack and drop them all and that's pretty much it.

Porte didn't look good today.
That would be epic :eek:
Does anyone know if they do the Contador section? I don't think they do.
No, classic Mortirolo from Mazzo.

LaFlorecita said:
Mayomaniac said:
No, classic Mortirolo from Mazzo.
Thanks, as I thought, would have been cool though, we would have known where he would attack :D

By the way, Saxo DS Lars Michaelsen said that if it's up to him, they would let someone take the jersey, but Alberto doesn't want to :D

Somebody will have to wrest it from his clutching hands while he swears at them..... :D That is the only way he will relinquish it!

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
No worries.....

Tinkov got this covered...

pj9vBjJ.jpg

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
all in all.. today is pretty good day at the office for TS. Sagan won GC at TOC.. (i know right? who da' thought .. lol. Sky is falling waist side, I really thought that sky wiht Henao will have a walk in the park and win it).. and in Italy, Contador is looking better and still retain his pink jersey after a furious pacing by Astana.

Astana has been throwing kitchen sink all week, and the stubborn and a limping contador won't budge. Porte played his card close to his chest. If he is really banking on his ITT alone to gain time, he'd better put minutes on Aru and Contador. Coz' i haven't seen his acceleration drop Aru/Contador. I think that's Sky's plan. On the other hand, So far, Aru and Contador hasn't been able to drop him yet. And someone says that Porte didn't look good today? I thought he looked fine and always under control. Uran will finally getting over his illness by ITT time, but he can't bleed anymore time if he wants to be in close contention.

Are we going to see an unexpected surprise on ITT? instead of what widely suggested that Porte and Uran will gain minutes on Aru/Contador? I hope it would the opposite. The margin between them was much less than it's predicted. (Dunno, after all it will be close to the end of the 2nd week. Everyone isn't fresh anymore). If the difference is less, then, it's game on! Fasten your seatbelt.. :D I really want to see how Porte fares in high mountain if he can't put lots of time on Contador/Aru on ITT.

Jelantik said:
Astana has been throwing kitchen sink all week, and the stubborn and a limping contador won't budge. Porte played his card close to his chest. If he is really banking on his ITT alone to gain time, he'd better put minutes on Aru and Contador. Coz' i haven't seen his acceleration drop Aru/Contador. I think that's Sky's plan. On the other hand, So far, Aru and Contador hasn't been able to drop him yet. And someone says that Porte didn't look good today? I thought he looked fine and always under control. Uran will finally getting over his illness by ITT time, but he can't bleed anymore time if he wants to be in close contention.

Alberto hasn't attacked once since the crash. Porte and Aru caught him back up after he dropped both on Abetone. Otherwise Alberto has been in nursing his shoulder mode. So until Alberto Tries to drop him again we won't know what Porte has because he's basically just followed. Followed quite easily most of the time, but those have been Aru's moves, not Alberto's :).

I also thought Porte looked fine today also. Landa paced him back up though, LOL!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Jelantik said:

Alberto hasn't attacked once since the crash. Porte and Aru caught him back up after he dropped both on Abetone. Otherwise Alberto has been in nursing his shoulder mode. So until Alberto Tries to drop him again we won't know what Porte has because he's basically just followed. Followed quite easily most of the time, but those have been Aru's moves, not Alberto's :).

I also thought Porte looked fine today also. Landa paced him back up though, LOL!

true. But Alberto did attacked in stage 5 Abetone. (whether it's half hearted or not) So far, i think the 3 contenders (at least for now) are evenly matched. (with or without Contador's injury). No one has shown the form that's above head and shoulder than their opponents and no attack has sticked or putting the others in so much difficulty (except to Uran). That's why it makes Porte looks good based on this week results. Until someone attack sticks, this is going to be a thrilling and long Giro.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I agree that all three have been evenly matched so far, but i think Contador and Porte are holding back a little. We also have to think about it's peak Porte and Aru against 90 % Contador, so he won't just ride them of his wheel.

Realisticly Contador will be better in the 3rd week, where Porte and Aru will fade a little. So it'll be something like all on 95 % in the 3rd week, and then Contador should be the strongest.

That's how it should be, but i think this Giro is very unpredictible. Can't see Porte drop either Aru or Contador without a strong sky train. Normally he's the super dom for Froome who sets a very high pace, and then Froome attack. But Porte isn't Froome level, and his doms aren't at his level.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Carols said:
Jelantik said:

true. But Alberto did attacked in stage 5 Abetone. (whether it's half hearted or not) So far, i think the 3 contenders (at least for now) are evenly matched. (with or without Contador's injury). No one has shown the form that's above head and shoulder than their opponents and no attack has sticked or putting the others in so much difficulty (except to Uran). That's why it makes Porte looks good based on this week results. Until someone attack sticks, this is going to be a thrilling and long Giro.

Contador's attack on Stage 5 though, was the hardest attack to follow of any attacks so far. That was on 8.4% gradient, it looked like Aru was on the verge of cracking....Porte grinded after him. I think prolonged 10% gradient's will un hitch both of them.

Re:

From an interview at La Gazetta with Oleg. He is more then keen to cut Sagans salary and/or contract as a sign of the new management.

Tinkov asks if the business model for cycling wages is structured correctly because riders who under achieve are paid the same basic salary regardless of performance.

"In the Classics we only had plan A, but no plan B, so when Peter didn't perform, there were no other guys to cover for him. There was not much we could do because we put all of the chips on one guy and it didn't work. Peter's still a great rider but he cannot win everything," Tinkov told Gazzetta dello Sport journalist Ciro Scognamiglio.

"The problem in cycling is that it's not easy to cut salary because we have a contract. I believe that cycling needs a different model. The problem with cycling is that riders look to raise the salary once they win. When Peter wins, he wants more money. When they start to win, that's okay, they have more and more money, and teams even increase them during the season, it happened with my riders last year. Unfortunately you cannot cut their salary but they have a bonus when they win, but if not they still have a huge fee, and that's really painful. They can have a huge part of your budget and they don't perform, but I can't do anything because they have a three-year deal. I don't like this model. Of course if I could find any legal possibility, I would decrease the contract. But we have to work with it."

About the team he expects more. Much more:

When asked by La Gazzetta dello Sport if he expected more from the team, Tinkov said, "Yes, that's true. I believe we are one of the best teams in the world and we cannot be beaten in the Grand Tours. That was another difference with Bjarne because he built the team only around the Tour de France, which I didn't like. I like to be good at the Giro, which is my favourite race and is very important. The Tour de France is still the biggest race and it's hard to compete with the Tour because of the money it has, but it's not the only race. There are the Classics, the other WorldTour races, the races in Australia, the Middle East, Abu Dhabi is coming… We have to respect all of the races, and I would like to win from January to October. That's why I expect much more from the team."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov-keen-to-reduce-sagans-contract-after-poor-spring

There´s just no stopping this guy.

TRENDING THREADS