• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1038 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Velolover2 said:
Sk_rmbillede_2015_05_21_kl_17_45_35.png

A couple of bike lengths to Ulissi. Is Contador a top 10 uphill sprinter on 10%+ stuff?

After 12 days of hard racing he is :).

Well said.
In Grand Tours where recovery is essential he brings excellent performances (Mende 2010, Bretagne 2011 etc.)
I don't think he can top 5 in a similar one-day classic, but he has seldom tried tbf.

My guess is Contador's test yesterday revealed that Aru isn't good in the rain and that's why Tinkoff rode so hard today. Aru very well may bounce back when the weather improves, so it's good that Contador drew some blood. Hopefully everyone gets through tomorrow's stage without incident. Saturday should be very interesting.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
On a hard rainy finish like this, how many riders can even beat him?

Valverde, Rodríguez, Gilbert and perhaps Alaphilippe. I think that's about it. Maybe Fantancur in super-shape.

boy, it's that's really true, Aru and Porte better hope the mountain stage won't be rain soaked!! :eek:

Yeah for the spring classics you need another type of preparation then what comes after 12 days of stage racing where you could slowly build up your form but at this moment he is enough good and explosive to drop many of those whom probably beaten him in a classic. As i predicted he wouldnt give away the jersey before TT and this was an even further message that he is good and will do well on Saturday.

I had my hopes that TS would have made better progress over time but they seem to be at the same page since stage 1. Not worried at all about that though. AC in form is a oneman-army more or less.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

No_Balls said:
Yeah for the spring classics you need another type of preparation then what comes after 12 days of stage racing where you could slowly build up your form but at this moment he is enough good and explosive to drop many of those whom probably beaten him in a classic. As i predicted he wouldnt give away the jersey before TT and this was an even further message that he is good and will do well on Saturday.

I had my hopes that TS would have made better progress over time but they seem to be at the same page since stage 1. Not worried at all about that though. AC in form is a oneman-army more or less.

won't it be more interesting though? If contador got strong team (like astana), then it's almost lopsided. Now with Contador strong but weak team vs strong astana team w/ (maybe) less strong Aru vs sky team (question mark) w/ strong porte (question mark for 3 weeks race). Other wise people will complaint the Giro is boring since on team is so dominant :D

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
To be honest i don't think Tinkoff Saxo aren't that bad.. It's just Astana who are remarkable strong.

Tinkoff Saxo generelly only use the men that they need.. It's like in the tour last year. Rodgers, Roche and Majka dropped all the time and people were talking about them being weak. But they only turn up when they need to, and Contador can handle himself at the end of the climbs.

It's really sad about Kreuziger though. He's clearly not at his best climbing form, but more like ardenner form. He should be just behind Porte and Aru, or at the same level almost.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re:

rm7 said:
It's really sad about Kreuziger though. He's clearly not at his best climbing form, but more like ardenner form. He should be just behind Porte and Aru, or at the same level almost.

i wont worry too much about that. kreuziger had been in the next group whenever contador has attacked.

it seems Basso's job is just to ensure that bertie reaches towards the end when other teams are expected to take up work (or do it himslf), Rogers' job is only to keep bertie company till last hour or so, (he is just behind if his services are needed), Kreuziger's job is to ensure that Bertie has him around as backup.

Kreu is at no5 spot in GC, less than 2 min from AC . He has been riding with other GC riders. I dont think we should compare him with Froome, the superdomestique, or landa.

murali said:
rm7 said:

i wont worry too much about that. kreuziger had been in the next group whenever contador has attacked.

it seems Basso's job is just to ensure that bertie reaches towards the end when other teams are expected to take up work (or do it himslf), Rogers' job is only to keep bertie company till last hour or so, (he is just behind if his services are needed), Kreuziger's job is to ensure that Bertie has him around as backup.

Kreu is at no5 spot in GC, less than 2 min from AC . He has been riding with other GC riders. I dont think we should compare him with Froome, the superdomestique, or landa.

To be fair to Basso, whilst he is getting dropped very early on the climbs, I think I've seen his face at the front of the peloton more than any other Saxo rider. He seems to be making up for a lack of form with hard work.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Is the ITT gap between aru and contador 3 min? Or are they gonna make it 4 minutes?

If it's 3 min contador might catch him. Depends if aru keeps declining.
Well Miburo, I was wrong.Aru will be more than a minute to Contador, I expected great from from him which was my fault.
You were right, I was not :( :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I even broke my rule about betting on favourite riders, so the 2nd place was even sweeter :).Very good day indeed for AC fans :) Now we have to pray about calm sprint tomorrow.

Except for the hiccup of the crash it was clear Contador was going to win. Now with Porte completely out of the equation and his bad day still pending, Aru looking like something the cat dragged in, Uran get dropped in almost every climb(Sometimes even off his bike as well), Contador will have a cakewalk.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Sk_rmbillede_2015_05_21_kl_17_45_35.png

A couple of bike lengths to Ulissi. Is Contador a top 10 uphill sprinter on 10%+ stuff?

He finished s.t. with winner Evans at the Mur once. He could be very good if he dedicated himself to it. Also, his recovery seems to very good so if you have a week of hard racing before, yeah.

Obviously nowhere near legends like Valverde, but top 10 is possible.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Contador at more than 80% with the bookies now.

One thing I've also kept watching is how his odds for the Tour are responding to what happens in the Giro. They haven't really changed much, except briefly when he crashed, when they improved. Contador quitting and focusing on the Tour was seen as raising his chances quite a bit. When that didn't happen, they moved back to him being 3rd fav after C and Q

Re:

SeriousSam said:

One thing I've also kept watching is how his odds for the Tour are responding to what happens in the Giro. They haven't really changed much, except briefly when he crashed, when they improved. Contador quitting and focusing on the Tour was seen as raising his chances quite a bit. When that didn't happen, they moved back to him being 3rd fav after C and Q

If Contador is sitting on a significant gap after the ITT, it could be very good for his TdF prospects, as he can measure out his remaining efforts much more carefully and avoid extending himself to his limit over the final week. That will assist for his post-Giro recovery, and even perhaps make the final week a good training block for him. Of course, he will have to reign in his more customary attacking instincts. With more experience now, I believe he will have learned from his 2011 season and will resist crushing the Giro GC too heavily, to avoid having a similar hangover effect to the TdF. This all depends on his opponents though. If one or more of them starts to claw back notably, he may not have any choice but to continue riding hard.

Re:

SeriousSam said:

It might be interesting to watch, but it can hardly reflect what is going to happen. After the Giro I think most people are going to underestimate AC....he'll prove em all wrong. :p :)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I think he'll be tempted to ensure that he has net time gain on everyone that originates from strength, as opposed to the TTT and especially penalties. I'm hoping Porte has a stinker in the TT and then cracks so that he doesn't have to invest a lot of energy to accomplish this

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
Miburo said:
Is the ITT gap between aru and contador 3 min? Or are they gonna make it 4 minutes?

If it's 3 min contador might catch him. Depends if aru keeps declining.
Well Miburo, I was wrong.Aru will be more than a minute to Contador, I expected great from from him which was my fault.
You were right, I was not :( :D

No one is always right, i ridiculed people who said gilbert was gonna win today ;)

TRENDING THREADS