• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1043 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i am not sure what he meant about injury. isn't it usually too early to say how bad things are if there is no external injury?

he had a pretty soft landing. he rolled comfortably out of the bike. if its going to hurt, its his right side.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
Oh no, there we go again :eek:

Contador, con un golpe en la pierna izquierda: “Es lo que más me preocupa”. http://bit.ly/1Gu1Q2J #Giro
Seriously, he should just shut up, he doesn't need all these theatrics.

Agreed. Seeing the crash, he was just sliding on his ass at low speed, I can't believe how he can say his left leg is bruised, and his shoulder hurts him, what - the - ***

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

murali said:
sorry, i m out. just too p***ed off today

You fans don't have the right to complain. He's won so much the last years. And he will win this Giro so there is not even a reason to be pissed off ;)

Me, as a Purito fan, has more right to get depressed. But just keep smiling, because tomorrow is another chance to shine. :p

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I watched the footage on cyclinghub, I really think he could've avoided it. This so *** stupid, Just *** hit the brakes and completely stop or go on the grass . He said you could see it coming, then why did you hit the ground again?

This is happening too many times now, I don't believe in the double anymore. What makes you think he's not gonna crash at the Tour? Because it seems like we're on a streak here, he crashed in every race since Tirreno. Once a week on average, can you believe it?

May 13, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
murali said:
sorry, i m out. just too p***ed off today

You fans don't have the right to complain. He's won so much the last years. And he will win this Giro so there is not even a reason to be pissed off ;)

Me, as a Purito fan, has more right to get depressed. But just keep smiling, because tomorrow is another chance to shine. :p
Don't jinx him, dude. :(

That's why Martinelli said what he said.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
I watched the footage on cyclinghub, I really think he could've avoided it. This so **** stupid, Just **** hit the brakes and completely stop or go on the grass . He said you could see it coming, then why did you hit the ground again?

This is happening too many times now, I don't believe in the double anymore. What makes you think he's not gonna crash at the Tour? Because it seems like we're on a streak here, he crashed in every race since Tirreno. Once a week on average, can you believe it?

Still better than Froome...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re:

BlurryVII said:
I watched the footage on cyclinghub, I really think he could've avoided it. This so **** stupid, Just **** hit the brakes and completely stop or go on the grass . He said you could see it coming, then why did you hit the ground again?

What footage do they have? In the feed I saw when AC is crashing, the picture is blocked by some trees. By the time you can see him, he's already down? No idea if he could have avoided it from what I saw.

Also, try just hitting the brakes on a wet road sometime. Get just a bit off center (like avoiding someone in front of you) and down you go.

Okay so someone explain to me what is to be gained by saying you're injured if you are not? If I was competing I'd be much more likely to take it to the injured party. After all cycling is about finding weakness in your opponents and exploiting it to your advantage. So what is he gaining by saying he hurt his shoulder and leg that were already injured. I can see how it is very possible those 2 areas are worse then when he got on the bike this AM, after all he fell on previously injured body parts. But why say so?

Michael Rogers ‏@mickrogers 39s40 seconds ago
1/2. The multi talents of @Toso_74. Not only can he ride a bike fast, his innate ability to jump over stacks of crashed cyclists - while
Michael Rogers ‏@mickrogers 33s34 seconds ago
2/2. wearing extra slippery cycling shoes - and provide his captain @albertocontador with a spare bike is quite impressive. #class

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Okay so someone explain to me what is to be gained by saying you're injured if you are not? If I was competing I'd be much more likely to take it to the injured party. After all cycling is about finding weakness in your opponents and exploiting it to your advantage. So what is he gaining by saying he hurt his shoulder and leg that were already injured. I can see how it is very possible those 2 areas are worse then when he got on the bike this AM, after all he fell on previously injured body parts. But why say so?

Watching AC over the years, he always says how difficult something is going to be, how strong is opponents are, how he wasn't feeling the best, etc. This doesn't seem out of character for him.

Might it not have something to do with his confidence also? When I watched the interview today, he didn't look worried to me. He patiently took questions, gave good answers and seemed pretty at peace with himself.

richwagmn said:
Carols said:

Watching AC over the years, he always says how difficult something is going to be, how strong is opponents are, how he wasn't feeling the best, etc. This doesn't seem out of character for him.

Might it not have something to do with his confidence also? When I watched the interview today, he didn't look worried to me. He patiently took questions, gave good answers and seemed pretty at peace with himself.

Oh it's not out of character at all. I just haven't figured out what advantage it gives him! Good to know he looked looked at peace :). Foolishly I thought is was okay to go out today, so missed all the post race shows.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:

Many athletes operate this way. It's a way to keep your opponents guessing in general sense (it doesn't have to be tied to one specific incident) and also as a way to motivate and taking away pressure on yourself. He doesn't necessarily care if anyone believes that he is injured in his shoulder or leg.

I think he needs to have an excuse in case things don't go his way (not that it happens often, but that's beside the point). In other words, it's because of his personality rather than a strategy, in my opinion. As a bonus, the media and the fans will talk up his exploits, since those "injuries" make everything more "heroic".

This was more down the line of "irritating" meaning i would rather not had this happen then either way but i can live with that seeing what happened with Porte. Tomorrow we have a smiling Alberto again although he is zipping my energy with all this drama surrounding and his vague comments about his health. Do a good ride (not overly risky) and stay out of trouble alright?

What i dont like is the pattern of crashes happening where he gets caught (that is not a good sign) meaning he perhaps have lost a bit confidence riding in the bunch. Champions of the past was seldom engaged in crashes at all and did have that knowledge of where to be at the right time. Here TS controlled it well until within around 4 km and suddenly just backed off. I cant believe they failed on what they've trying to practice the entire Giro until now.

TRENDING THREADS