• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Moose McKnuckles said:
Contador looks chubby? Wait, are you guys looking at the same person?
Contador is the guy in the middle. I think some of you maybe think he's the one on the far right.

I'm with you. He looks skinny and tiny like a mouse jockey.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
Moose McKnuckles said:
Contador is the guy in the middle. I think some of you maybe think he's the one on the far right.

I think folks want to see an LA or TylerH skinny before they are convinced Bertie is ready. Ain't that weird? When did cycling become this obsession with weight to power ratio? Oh wait...read TylerH's book...

For this TDF, I think the smartest will win, not necessarily the fittest.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site

jilbiker said:
ray j willings said:
Moose McKnuckles said:

I think folks want to see an LA or TylerH skinny before they are convinced Bertie is ready. Ain't that weird? When did cycling become this obsession with weight to power ratio? Oh wait...read TylerH's book...

This. And the luckiest.

Re:

cellardoor said:
I dunno about everyone else but I'm getting worried about Saxo's climbing doms vs Sky's. Kreuziger, Rogers and Basso looked rubbish at the Giro (but hopefully they were all scheduled to be 80% at the Giro and improve for the Tour), Kiselovski had a moment in the sun at the Dauphine, but ultimately was unimpressive and Majka is looking very average at Suisse. Compare that to Wout Poels who looks like he's going to be a beast. Hopefully Majka is saving himself and will show some form over the coming days.

Can't say anything about Majka's form until after the mountain stage. That is where we should expect to see him riding well.

jilbiker said:
ray j willings said:
Moose McKnuckles said:

Firstly, face may well look a bit chubbier because he's got five o' clock shadow and this creates a softer edge (cf. Leonardo da Vinci 'sfumato'). And his body is minute. Tiny weeny body. I think he's lost weight.

And the lean is surely because he's half perched on a blinking bar stool!

And I agree with the bold.

With all the permutations and combinations there will be with the four major contenders, he's the guy I'd bet on to exploit them best. Nibali has a lot of the same attributes, but IMO, is just not as good as Alberto. Nor, if I'm honest, do I think he really wants it as much as Alberto does.

Compared to Froome (and I suspect Quintana), it seems to me AC is much more willing to make it all up on the road and take calculated risks, which is and obvious advantage with more cautious or 'scripted' riders.

Plus he's as stubborn as a mule. It must be very hard to race against someone so mentally tough. With all the tactics there will be going on, mental as well as physical fatigue will take its toll on the riders.

(If it's all about luck then, we're doomed on Alberto's season thus far! Unless he's had all his bad luck in one mega-dose. I do hope so. It'd be gutting to be denied because of something random).

Normally I'd totally agree about the lean in that particular photo, it's just that I've seen it in a bunch of others as well. Happy to be proven wrong, perhaps he'll seem back to normal in future pics, or perhaps he just likes to put his weight more on his right leg when posing for photos these days...

Bertie interview:

"The most important thing is that I look forward to racing in the Route du Sud because it will give me speed in the legs and I will be in motion again. Surely, it will take some time to ramp up, but I have a good foundation and this will allow me to carry out a good training in racing mode."

"I wouldn't have this motivation and, on second thought, there are still more days ahead to recover than days that have passed since the end of the Giro. I hope to reach the start in top condition."

He sounds very confident!

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
rune1107 said:
Bertie interview:

"The most important thing is that I look forward to racing in the Route du Sud because it will give me speed in the legs and I will be in motion again. Surely, it will take some time to ramp up, but I have a good foundation and this will allow me to carry out a good training in racing mode."

"I wouldn't have this motivation and, on second thought, there are still more days ahead to recover than days that have passed since the end of the Giro. I hope to reach the start in top condition."

Though, you skipped the pessimistic parts, legs hurting, muscular fatigue still, he sees the Tour with "uncertainty" etc.

He doesn't sound all that confident to me, reading him, it looks like he is almost as clueless as his fans regarding his Tour form lol.

He is playing it down maybe, we'll see whether it's true or not.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Stop worrying, you'll give yourself ulcers.

Even if Contador doesn't win the Tour, he's still won a GT this year which is pretty good going. If (and it's a huge 'IF') he wins the Tour, would he go for the *Triple Crown*?

*Giro/Tour/Worlds*

BlurryVII said:
rune1107 said:
Bertie interview:

Though, you skipped the pessimistic parts, legs hurting, muscular fatigue still, he sees the Tour with "uncertainty" etc.

He doesn't sound all that confident to me, reading him, it looks like he is almost as clueless as his fans regarding his Tour form lol.

He is playing it down maybe, we'll see whether it's true or not.

I just think it sounds like he isn't frustrated, but optimistic. Guess we won't have any answers until July..

Folks you do realize this was a press release from the team? Not an interview with the press, but Tinkoff's press team. They are putting out as much or as little accurate information as they want. I'd take all of it with a very huge grain of salt.

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Question: how does one go about finding a nice Alberto Contador banner? I want to hang a banner out of my window during the grand depart. We live at pretty much the most central part of the city and I want to show our support with a big fat banner.

I already tried contacting the team and the fanclub - no answer.

I could either make one myself, or perhaps you guys know a way to obtain one. Thanks.

Re:

Captain_Obvious said:
Question: how does one go about finding a nice Alberto Contador banner? I want to hang a banner out of my window during the grand depart. We live at pretty much the most central part of the city and I want to show our support with a big fat banner.

I could either make one myself, or perhaps you guys know a way to obtain one. Thanks.

http://www.makesigns.com/ :)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Contrador is a fool if he thinks riding a race is going to help him overcome fatigue and tiredness.

Rest, food, water.

I think some athletes never actually study how to train.
Sure, he's won major races. What more does he need? many will say.
But, remember how he got dehydrated? How Nibali got hunger bonk?
Remember Pete Sampras drinking soda when he was severely dehydrated?

Rest, food, water.

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

rune1107 said:
Captain_Obvious said:

http://www.makesigns.com/ :)

yes thanks. I've come across a few of these websites. I would much rather have an authentic one. But I guess having one made through such servies is good enough.

There is one on the front page that looks decent:
gettyimages_474927552_670.jpg

Any suggestions on the design?

TRENDING THREADS