• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1180 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

bajbar said:
Contador seems to have gotten to a point, where he has one amazing year, followed by one lackluster. Last year he was amazing, this year (and 2013) not so much. OK, he has won the Giro, but I haven't seen a single stage where he would do to everyone else even half what Froome did to everyone today. If that is the case, then he will be on top of things next year again (hopefully). But how is it possible, that you are so good one year, and so bad the next. Surely there must be a reason...

I like your thinking - so next year it's the triple? :)

Folks he hasn't looked good since the Finestra. I kept trying to remain optimistic but I was knowingly deluding myself. IMHO he should pull the plug on this race and either just get some rest or try the Vuelta if he feels good enough. Next year do either the Giro/Vuelta double or put it all in the Tour basket.

Whatever happens from here on out, the man is a Great Champion and always will be. You can't erase all his accomplishments since 2007 based on one day just because he was beaten.

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
rhubroma said:
The Tour is bigger than any other race, the best come into it with their best form. Contador has not even been close to Froome on two occasions. He's had his chances, but failed miserably. This is a problem as far his legacy is concerned. Say whatever you guys want, but until Contador beats Froome at the Tour his legacy, has it has stood so far, is ruined.

I'm not say this to provocate, but Contador just hasn't understood what he was up against and this, after the last two years, is frankly unexcusable.

Wow you're dumb like wow.

So the guy who crushed many GT's winning in total 7 or 9. Winning many stage races, being for a few years the absolute best where it's not even a question if he would win but by how much.

That whole legacy is gone cause he got destroyed by froome in his worst year and in the year he won the giro?

Tainted yea but not gone idiot.

Yea mod delete the post, if you can't call out idiots anymore.

Look, I'm not dumb, but the performance Froome has generated has pulverized Contador. And this is the Tour, which is what history uses as the measure of strength.

All I'm saying is that Contador should never have come into the Tour like this. What's the point of another Giro, if he gets dominated at the Tour like this? He say's another Tour wouldn't add anything, well how about just another Giro?

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
What I'd like to know the answer to is how Froome puts a few seconds in to TJ 3 weeks ago and now puts 2.30 in to him now, something just isn't right. I hope we get some data soon re the speed, W/kg, VAM etc. The gaps between Froome and the rest are just comically big... and then Porte hauling another 10kg up a climb over Quintana after pulling for 2-3km before Froome went is frankly ridiculous.

rhubroma said:
But Indurain won 5 Tours in a row! Then Riis was a one shot canon! Come on Froome has made Contador look silly and that is not in keeping with what he has achieved. It's as if he realized that he could not maintain the rythym so deflect attention away from that by going for the double. Ok going for the double is admirable, yes, but how can he have shown up in the Tour like this. It is pathetic given all the "big plans."

Didn't Contador win something like 6 GTs in a row?

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:
The Tour is bigger than any other race, the best come into it with their best form. Contador has not even been close to Froome on two occasions. He's had his chances, but failed miserably. This is a problem as far his legacy is concerned. Say whatever you guys want, but until Contador beats Froome at the Tour his legacy, has it has stood so far, is ruined.

I'm not say this to provocate, but Contador just hasn't understood what he was up against and this, after the last two years, is frankly unexcusable.

100% agree. Inexcusable to be in this form.

cellardoor said:
rhubroma said:
But Indurain won 5 Tours in a row! Then Riis was a one shot canon! Come on Froome has made Contador look silly and that is not in keeping with what he has achieved. It's as if he realized that he could not maintain the rythym so deflect attention away from that by going for the double. Ok going for the double is admirable, yes, but how can he have shown up in the Tour like this. It is pathetic given all the "big plans."

The Tour is another level though. Look I'm not saying this to be annoying, but the Tour is what matters. At this rate, besides, Froome will go on to win several others and in ways that defy logic. Alberto had his 2009, but this is a whole different match.

cellardoor said:
rhubroma said:

Re:

moi123 said:
I don't think Contador is that motivated anymore. In his latest open interviews with the Spanish press he said that there where more things he wanted to do in life then cycling. Winning another GT doesn't add to his palmares, needs more motivation. He looks not ready, not willing to go that extra mile. I'm sure he will retire next year like he said. El Pistolero will go for it one last time and then go dance the macarena with macarena or something.. :p
I agree, it seems like he doesn't want it anymore. He isn't tired of winning, of course, but he doesn't have it in him to make the sacrifices necessary.
There's an interview in Rouleur magazine, I haven't read it but someone posted a picture of the front page on twitter
CJxfMemWcAA7N0J.jpg

Says it all, he can't do it any longer. It's not a shame. Just something we have to accept :)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

rhubroma said:
cellardoor said:
rhubroma said:

The Tour is another level though. Look I'm not saying this to be annoying, but the Tour is what matters. At this rate, besides, Froome will go on to win several others and in ways that defy logic. Alberto had his 2009, but this is a whole different match.

Well said. The best thing Contador could have done to make a case that he returned in 2012 to being the strongest GT rider is win the Tour against top competition.

LaFlorecita said:
moi123 said:
I don't think Contador is that motivated anymore. In his latest open interviews with the Spanish press he said that there where more things he wanted to do in life then cycling. Winning another GT doesn't add to his palmares, needs more motivation. He looks not ready, not willing to go that extra mile. I'm sure he will retire next year like he said. El Pistolero will go for it one last time and then go dance the macarena with macarena or something.. :p
I agree, it seems like he doesn't want it anymore. He isn't tired of winning, of course, but he doesn't have it in him to make the sacrifices necessary.
There's an interview in Rouleur magazine, I haven't read it but someone posted a picture of the front page on twitter
CJxfMemWcAA7N0J.jpg

Says it all, he can't do it any longer. It's not a shame. Just something we have to accept :)
He shouldn't have targeted the double.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Contador could easily pick up a new primary sponsor and 'race' another 5+ years. Hoveround needs the publicity, and they really do make a great product for those needing a fast, agile power mobility solution. They could make a 'maillot jaune' edition, with a little more titanium and a faster electric motor. . . Prolly sell really well, with the senior citizen Contador fanboys.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Contador not even shown up ready this year. Very disappointed. He says he's done everything to be ready and looking at him he simply has not.
He isn't a slacker. He is obviously not ready but that does not mean he hasn't tried everything to be ready.

Look, I think he's a *** great rider but he has not done everything he can to be ready. Last year yes. This year no. Maybe he needs someone to tell him the way it is. It's so blatantly obvious, every time I look at him. Hes not old or finished either.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Saying that somehow Contador's legacy is damaged is pretty ridiculous. He is still considered the greatest GT rider of his generation, and he tried something audacious by attempting something that none of his rivals had the balls to do in the modern age. The legacy will be of a rider who rode with emotion, and made bold attacks like his assault on Fuente De. Not of one who just did it by the numbers on his power meter.
There are a lot of miles in those legs. maybe he can come back with some great performances in the future, or maybe he's coming to the end of his run. But champions don't just hang it up until they are sure they are done.

Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
Not that I think he will be able to match Froomey this July, but surely this must have been an off day. Loosing to Gallopin says it all. The numbers before the tour must have been better, or else I can't see why he even started the race. Same goes for Nibali
He just isn't in good shape. Or was Mur de Huy also an off-day? And what about Mur de Bretagne for Nibali?

rhubroma said:
cellardoor said:
rhubroma said:

Ok, but you have to take into account that Contador was prevented from riding the Tour in two of his best years. Indurain had a 5 year period at the top and then he was done. A 5 year period would take Contador to 2011, roughly when Froome emerged on the scene. Contador was an early developer who has potentially seen his best days (whether due to age or motivation), whereas Froome is a late developer who's in his peak years.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

BigMac said:
LaFlorecita said:
sir fly said:
He shouldn't have targeted the double.
What if he hadn't? Would he have had more motivation?

God thing he targeted the double. At least that way he won the Giro. He would still not have beaten Froome had he focused on the Tour alone.

Eh i wouldnt say that immediately, froome for sure has the edge. But Contador's 2014 season was really strong, and he could hold on to froome in the dauphine.

It isn't about what he's achieved in the past. It's about how much Froome has dominated him in the only race that counts in terms of who is the strongest. The winner of the Giro and the Vuelta isn't the strongest, no matter how many times when he gets clobbered at the Tour. And Froome isn't just barely winning. He assassinated the Tour today! Just like he did in 2013 against Contador, Quintana et all. Contador has faced him in the Tour twice and been beaten with a club. Not good for the legacy.

If Contador wasn't up for the fight, he should have stayed away or focused differently for it. This is not the 80's.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
This tour is over for him. He needs to go for one more monster peak at next year's TDF and then do the Vuelta after that. He is starting to fade though so the question is if he can do it even if he prepares for it.

As for the discussion about his legacy I think his legacy will be just fine. It doesn't really interest me but people will remember him for his wins just like they do with all other sporting champions.

TRENDING THREADS