• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Contador's early attack was indicative of a solid effort from the least-well positioned podium contender. If you are trying to win the Tour, you dont start the attacks, and you surely dont have your attack smothered by Froome's 2 strongest domestiques. . . Still, chapeau to the aging Contador. He tried, and he tired.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Encouraging signs today. Strong enough to put in a dig and was able to close down (along with Nairo) Froome's attack. Hopefully all the other "GC" guys (Valverde, Quintana, Contador, Nibali) will work together to try and break SKY and Froome.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:
Contador's early attack was indicative of a solid effort from the least-well positioned podium contender. If you are trying to win the Tour, you dont start the attacks, and you surely dont have your attack smothered by Froome's 2 strongest domestiques. . . Still, chapeau to the aging Contador. He tried, and he tired.

And exactly how much has he aged since Tour of Spain

May 28, 2015
Visit site
In fact (didn't look like it and under todays conditions it's even more impressive) they rode pretty fast, so I'm very pleased with his performance today.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
today's stage... meh. Nothing significant happen other than i'm happy with Purito and another impressive ride by Thomas (a TT and classic rider switched mid season to stage race). I don't know how and what does sky do to get out of Thomas. He climbed with the top best climber today. Scary!

AC at least looked better. He slowly close the attack but he was standing all the time. So little hope. And quintana? BIG MEH!.. for someone who has been touting as the best climber, (can't even drop TJ). He looked like 2013 .. not sure how much he will improve. If AC in his best shape, there won't be stage like today. Other than first mountain stage, it's like anticlimactic..

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

arvc40 said:
warmfuzzies said:

lol, short term memory for some. "Aging Contador", it's not like he won the Giro 2 months ago, and destroyed Froome 10 months ago in the Vuelta.

The state of form can quickly change, the truth of today is not the truth of tomorrow.

BlurryVII said:
arvc40 said:
warmfuzzies said:

lol, short term memory for some. "Aging Contador", it's not like he won the Giro 2 months ago, and destroyed Froome 10 months ago in the Vuelta.

The state of form can quickly change, the truth of today is not the truth of tomorrow.
Have you seen Thomas today?
There certainly is a rider capable of winning a cobbled classic and riding for the GC in the Tour.
Contador should challenge him next spring.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Contador "We're ready for war in the last week" ;)

But i'm not hoping too much yet. The conditions today made the other show how their shape are, but they all fade except Froome when it's hot.

Yesterday I said I would be happy if he stayed in contact so today I'm pretty pleased, he did that and even put in a little dig :). Thank goodness for some rain and Alberto showing he has the base form to be a factor, at least for the podium. I've stopped living my life around le Tour since Sky's performance 2 days ago. I figured today would be a Sky procession until late so went out did a few errands and took a ride in Lovely weather. Then came home and watched the last 1.5 hours. It was great, Purito winning and everyone taking shots at Froome with Nairo and Alberto covering his moves.

If it wasn't for stage 10 I would be very confident right now. Podium is a very realistic chance right now. But we need rain. And as Red Rick said, he is better than 2013. i think he is about the same level as 2011, just that they went easier on the climbs that year. But the positive thing is, his form seems to be improving day by day. A stage win on Alpe d'Huez and a podium finish would be nice. But if Froome has a problem, crashes or sth., everything could still be possible. They just need to get rid of Porte and Thomas.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
What are the weather conditions for the alpes next week?

It's clear now that contador is better in the rain and nibali too. If it rains on the allos descent we're talking about minutes :p

Re:

Miburo said:
What are the weather conditions for the alpes next week?

It's clear now that contador is better in the rain and nibali too. If it rains on the allos descent we're talking about minutes :p
I just looked at, there are thunderstorms in the evening. but it lacks a long time and things can change .

but in the meantime... :rolleyes:

Re:

warmfuzzies said:

Yea his attack seemed like a kind of let's give it a go and see what happens, rather than a solid move.

The only way to cause significant damage, would have been to counter hard at a point after Froome has already gone or in any case is more isolated. In this sense Nairo's move was much better timed. Usually this is indicative of not really having the legs to go when everyone is on the ropes, so your only chance is to anticipate.

Still a much improved performance from two days ago. If he continues like this Contador should be better in the Alps and there maybe find an ally with Quintana, although only if Froome is slipping from peak.

11248213_667175470086667_869657870_n.jpg

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
When was the last time Contador won the Tour? I think 2009 is the correct response. 6 years from the peak of his mountain. Giro? Vuelta? These are lesser Tours, contested by those who feel themselves unable to contest the TdF. Contador winning the Vuelta? Please. Roberto Heras won 4 of them. It's the consolation prize. Giro? Tough parcours, but contested by those who have decided not to race for the Big Prize.

Re:

warmfuzzies said:
When was the last time Contador won the Tour? I think 2009 is the correct response. 6 years from the peak of his mountain. Giro? Vuelta? These are lesser Tours, contested by those who feel themselves unable to contest the TdF. Contador winning the Vuelta? Please. Roberto Heras won 4 of them. It's the consolation prize. Giro? Tough parcours, but contested by those who have decided not to race for the Big Prize.

Please log off now. Just log off...

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:
epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1244668233.jpg

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:

If people don't include 2010 than they should also not forget, that his only focused tour attempts after his last win were 2013 and 2014 and in one of those races he crashed out. It sounds great (from the perspective of a critic) to say, that he won his last Tour 6 years ago, but I think the details speak another language.

Re:

warmfuzzies said:

It is no secret that Contador has had a difficult relationship with the Tour. He also wasn't able to race it a couple of times in the prime of his career, although, as we saw last year he showed he is quite capable of arriving in super form.

I will say this though where was Froome at 24 years old?

rhubroma said:
warmfuzzies said:

It is no secret that Contador has had a difficult relationship with the Tour. He also wasn't able to race it a couple of times in the prime of his career, although, as we saw last year he showed he is quite capable of arriving in super form.

In the Giro, doing trackstands on the San Luca

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Red Rick said:
rhubroma said:
warmfuzzies said:

In the Giro, doing trackstands on the San Luca
He was training for the Chicken battle you know :D ;)

TRENDING THREADS