• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1197 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
No way Contador has gave up on yellow
I don't believe it either, he is a stubborn, tough little cookie.. The team has a point of course but think it's weird they're so vocal about going for a podium now :confused:

Maybe it is a deflection by the team????? Or the team has reset but not Alberto? Either way he will do everything he can to make a difference, of that I have no doubts.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:
When was the last time Contador won the Tour? I think 2009 is the correct response. 6 years from the peak of his mountain. Giro? Vuelta? These are lesser Tours, contested by those who feel themselves unable to contest the TdF. Contador winning the Vuelta? Please. Roberto Heras won 4 of them. It's the consolation prize. Giro? Tough parcours, but contested by those who have decided not to race for the Big Prize.

If people don't include 2010 than they should also not forget, that his only focused tour attempts after his last win were 2013 and 2014 and in one of those races he crashed out. It sounds great (from the perspective of a critic) to say, that he won his last Tour 6 years ago, but I think the details speak another language.

Crashing out . . . is what TdF champions avoid. How many Tours did Indurain crash out of?
No, Contador's Tour form in 2013 and 2014 was lacking. He just hasn't had the Tour champion level since 2009.
He's doing the right thing, focusing on the lesser Tours and continuing to cash checks.
Enough :mad:

Contador could still win another lesser Tour, maybe even the Giro next year. And I bet he could win the Vuelta for another 3-5 years. That Hoveround sponsorship might be lucrative, maybe in conjunction with Ensure. ;)

Carols said:
Matteo. said:
Carols said:
Matteo. said:
Reading his interview after the stage , he doesn't seem to give up. He says he is better day by day

link please. Thanks

http://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/2015/07/17/portada/1437148576_808296.html

Thanks. But with google translate I'm still pretty clueless what he said LOL!
Me too. In fact it is confusing, but the Italian is quite similar to Spanish so when the translator is not accurate, I try to interpret. ehehe :D

In summary says two things:
- He needs time to improve, however, he sees that every day is better. He will face the tour differently from usual
- Tomorrow the 3km to 10% of Mende will make selection and there will be gaps

If there is some Spanish correct me if I'm wrong :D

Re:

Miburo said:
648x415_joie-espagnol-alberto-contador-remporte-4e-etape-paris-nice-15-mars-2007-mende-1.jpg
Was Nice the first time he fired his pistol?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site

warmfuzzies said:
LaFlorecita said:
warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:
When was the last time Contador won the Tour? I think 2009 is the correct response. 6 years from the peak of his mountain. Giro? Vuelta? These are lesser Tours, contested by those who feel themselves unable to contest the TdF. Contador winning the Vuelta? Please. Roberto Heras won 4 of them. It's the consolation prize. Giro? Tough parcours, but contested by those who have decided not to race for the Big Prize.

If people don't include 2010 than they should also not forget, that his only focused tour attempts after his last win were 2013 and 2014 and in one of those races he crashed out. It sounds great (from the perspective of a critic) to say, that he won his last Tour 6 years ago, but I think the details speak another language.

Crashing out . . . is what TdF champions avoid. How many Tours did Indurain crash out of?
No, Contador's Tour form in 2013 and 2014 was lacking. He just hasn't had the Tour champion level since 2009.
He's doing the right thing, focusing on the lesser Tours and continuing to cash checks.

Contador could still win another lesser Tour, maybe even the Giro next year. And I bet he could win the Vuelta for another 3-5 years. That Hoveround sponsorship might be lucrative, maybe in conjunction with Ensure. ;)

Are just here to rile people up? Is this your attempt to make Contador's accomplishments less than they are? That's a nice world you live in as it easy to rub salt in the wound when someone is down. Good luck to you.

warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:

Your trolling isn't very good. He had amazing form in 2014. You must have missed most of the races he was in that year....you should go watch them - your missing out.

warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:

What evidence do you have that his form was lacking in 2104? He had done what no one else had been able to do since Froome's rise to prominence, by being able to follow his attacks prior to the Tour and did the same at the Vuelta.

Your hate will burn a hole in your heart. Step into the light and set your soul free. :D :p

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site

Angliru said:
Pricey_sky said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kwibus said:
Reality is that Froome respects Contador as he has said plenty before.
He said it a few times, but he doesn't really show it. Am I supposed to just take his word for it? While he never shows any respect?
And the **** he wrote in his biography actually points the other way.

I think he does respect Alberto and has always talked him up to be his biggest rival. Fair enough he isn't in this Tour and that's why he hasn't mentioned Contador a lot compared to Tejay and Quintana. As I've said before I bet half of the rubbish in that book is just pimped up by the editor to sell copies.

In the end Froome is responsible for every word in that book and must take the heat for it.

I'm guessing no matter what Froome says he respects AC. After all, head to head in GT's AC leads 2-1 still.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

warmfuzzies said:
LaFlorecita said:
warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:

The Giro, along with the Vuelta are the tours that seperate the men from the boys. The TdF is the Grand Tour light, designed to offer something for everyone and doing nothing right, there to fill the summer slump between two football seasons. In a proper tour you don't have tavesties like today, depleted Tinkoff killing themselves for another Sagan 2nd place and the rigged competition for the green jersey, giving Sky a free ride. Froome would probably lead the green jersey count also if it were the Vuelta, and the tactics of the rivaling teams would not be all over the place, but firmly to put Froome in standard Sky gear. Today was about the tenth out of 13 stages where all GC contenders finished at the same time, it doesn't happen this often in the other tours in 21 stages.

It’s going to be hard to beat Froome, head to head it will be hard, but we need to see what will happen if the other teams also attack from a long distance. If we wait until the last climb, it will be too difficult to make up time

we will see fireworks on Alpes. A new 2011 is ahead

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Jspear said:
warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:

Your trolling isn't very good. He had amazing form in 2014. You must have missed most of the races he was in that year....you should go watch them - your missing out.

Most champion-esque crash out in Tour de France history. Surely that crash-out deserves its own special page in the annals of Grand Tour history.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Contador was 4:08 adrift of the yellow jersey following stage 9 of the 2014 Tour. In that Tour, he had not won a stage prior to crashing out. He's actually doing better this year! Chapeau Contador, you are 1 year older and only 4:04 back. What a champion!!!!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:
Contador was 4:08 adrift of the yellow jersey following stage 9 of the 2014 Tour. In that Tour, he had not won a stage prior to crashing out. He's actually doing better this year! Chapeau Contador, you are 1 year older and only 4:04 back. What a champion!!!!

Which rider you're cheering for did he beat up?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:

Your right he his a champion. read below ,,,you can read or do you get your mum to read for you ;)

Major wins

Grand Tours
Tour de France General classification (2007, 2009)Young rider classification (2007)3 individual stages (2007, 2009)Giro d'Italia General classification (2008, 2015)Vuelta a España General classification (2008, 2012, 2014)Combination classification (2008, 2014)5 individual stages (2008, 2012, 2014)
Stage races
Paris–Nice (2007, 2010)Tirreno–Adriatico (2014)Tour of the Basque Country (2008, 2009, 2014)Vuelta a Castilla y León (2007, 2008, 2010)Volta ao Algarve (2009, 2010)Route du Sud (2015)
Single-day races and Classics

National Time Trial Championships (2009)Milano–Torino (2012)

warmfuzzies said:
Jspear said:
warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:

Most champion-esque crash out in Tour de France history. Surely that crash-out deserves its own special page in the annals of Grand Tour history.

Look, being willfully obtuse in order to troll fans of a rider on that rider's page...just - why? No one is saying the crash is heroic. But your logic that if you win the Tour you are in good shape and you must not crash out in order to win the Tour, therefore if you crash out you are not in good shape is obviously incorrect. How about you stick with, "You can't win the Tour if you crash out." Contador was obviously in good shape last year. He lost 2 seconds to Nibali on one stage, he gained 3 seconds to Nibali on the first climb, and he lost time on the cobbles due to a clogged derailleur. I actually don't think Contador would have closed down that gap on Nibali, given the numbers Nibali put up on those climbs, unless his constant changes of pace threw Nibali off. But why are you wasting all of our time trolling?

TRENDING THREADS