• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1204 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oh. My memory is messed up. Anyway. We all know things can happen here.

Vinokourov took 36 seconds on Lance on this finish in 2003. Joseba Biloka crashed, sending Lance into taking an epic shortcut.

In 2011, Contador, Sanchez and Evans took a huge chunk off time on Andy Schleck.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
So dumb anyway, Contador goes crazy on a cat 2 climb once and since then they decide to completely overuse it in the same, poorly designed stage time after time after time.

What about stage 20, well the original profile? Also Contador's fault :D

I remember that day very well, i knew contador was gonna do it and then he actually did it :eek:

My issue with the stage yesterday, and I didn't get to express it in the stage cos it was overrun by Sky fans taking cue from Brailsford to play the victim card as much as possible over some idiot and a beer, but why did Quintana ride so hard and just pull Froome all the way? Is he riding for 2nd place already? With all the mountains left thats pathetic even by Movi standards.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
My issue with the stage yesterday, and I didn't get to express it in the stage cos it was overrun by Sky fans taking cue from Brailsford to play the victim card as much as possible over some idiot and a beer, but why did Quintana ride so hard and just pull Froome all the way? Is he riding for 2nd place already? With all the mountains left thats pathetic even by Movi standards.

I didn't mind it honestly, this way he pretty much secured his podium and he wasn't gonna ride away from froome anyway that day, it was just 1km too regardless.

Wrong thread hitch? :D

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
The Hitch said:

I didn't mind it honestly, this way he pretty much secured his podium and he wasn't gonna ride away from froome anyway that day, it was just 1km too regardless.

Wrong thread hitch? :D

What you should've said is:

I fully agree

It is such a shame that Alberto and Alejandro don't get on well...

If they really wanted, they could go for the big prize with a combo downhill attack on Allos or in Glandon.

It would be a win-win situation for both of the Spaniards and aditionally Quintana could comfortably sit on the wheel of a hysterical Froome and try to finish him in Pra Loup.

Re:

The Hitch said:

If he takes time now he can time his attacks against Froome better. If he has to mark everyone behind him then e's less likely to be able to put in the enormous dig (or digs) that would be required to crack Froome. Unfortunately, that means sticking it to Bertie at the moment no matter if he drags Froome along or not.

about the only reason I can think of and not a good one.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
KyoGrey said:

If they really wanted, they could go for the big prize with a combo downhill attack on Allos or in Glandon.

It would be a win-win situation for both of the Spaniards and aditionally Quintana could comfortably sit on the wheel of a hysterical Froome and try to finish him in Pra Loup.

Havent they dismissed the "beef" several times under the last Vuelta? Contador, Valverde and JRod.

But Valverde is always riding like he doesn't want Contador to win.. because if he coorporate, then he know that he'll be beaten in the end probably.

Still can't get my head around JRod and Valverde in the last Vuelta.. Could have smashed Froome on several occasions. I can understand if Contador doesn't think very highly of them.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SuperBesse said:
I'm not sure if has much to do with contador. Valverde always does this.

I doubt it's personal. Riders for the most part do what's best for themselves and their team. Alliances are temporally possible when mutually beneficial, but always fragile.

Re:

cantpedal said:
maybe their tired of AC only wanting to cooperate when its to his advantage,
You mean like at the Vuelta, where it was in the interest of both of them to take time on Froome?
If Valverde had cooperated there, he might have 2nd!
Do you have an example of Valverde wanting to cooperate with Contador, and Contador refusing? .... No? Then your post is a complete lie.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
The Eurosport commentators pointed out many times that Contador and Valverde are close friends. Prominently when Valverde had a mechanical in that flat windy TdF stage in 2013, Saxo immediately stopped pulling at the front. Only when it was clear that Valverde would lose an awful lot of time in any case Saxo attacked again. Valverde could not have acted differently on the climb to Mende.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
They aren't close friends. They don't hate each other, but there is a big rivalry on the bike, especially from Valverde's side. If he himself can't win, then he'd try everything to make Contador lose.
Got any evidence for that, or is this yet more siege mentality?

rm7 said:
KyoGrey said:

Havent they dismissed the "beef" several times under the last Vuelta? Contador, Valverde and JRod.

But Valverde is always riding like he doesn't want Contador to win.. because if he coorporate, then he know that he'll be beaten in the end probably.

Still can't get my head around JRod and Valverde in the last Vuelta.. Could have smashed Froome on several occasions. I can understand if Contador doesn't think very highly of them.

I support both of them of course, but I think that the rivalry of Valverde and Contador may go way back to the fact that Alejandro feels in his mind that it is unfair that for the last 10 years Alberto has received much more attention of the Spanish general media whilst outside of the cycling world, he is regarded only as a secondary star.

Also the fact that Contador being an almost unique case of a modern Spanish superstar that hasn't milited for Echavarri/Unzue team structures means that Movistar as a team has no good eyes for the madrileño.

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
They aren't close friends. They don't hate each other, but there is a big rivalry on the bike, especially from Valverde's side. If he himself can't win, then he'd try everything to make Contador lose.

Professional rivalry at its most profound.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Fleur is overreacting like usual. Piti and contador used to be good friend, that's fact. I'm not sure how they are right now but in what race did piti screw him over exactly fleur?

What he did on mende was completely fair. You want piti to give up his chance for podium for the sake of contador (who is still a threat for quintana). That makes no sense at all, once again give me one race where piti screwed over contador when gaining nothing from it at all?

He even helped out contador, in fuente de he could have ridden with purito to catch contador back and maybe have a chance FTW.

Re:

Miburo said:
Fleur is overreacting like usual. Piti and contador used to be good friend, that's fact. I'm not sure how they are right now but in what race did piti screw him over exactly fleur?

What he did on mende was completely fair. You want piti to give up his chance for podium for the sake of contador (who is still a threat for quintana). That makes no sense at all, once again give me one race where piti screwed over contador when gaining nothing from it at all?

He even helped out contador, in fuente de he could have ridden with purito to catch contador back and maybe have a chance FTW.
Yes, I am overreacting even though I am just repeating something several journalists have said over the years.
Yes, Valverde would never screw over Contador just for the sake of it. Know what a hyperbole is?
Valverde considers himself the best Spanish rider. Ever since the 2012 Vuelta, when Saxo-Tinkoff pulled on the front after Valverde got a mechanical, Valverde has made this into some sort of national rivalry :rolleyes: :p I don't think Berto really cares

TRENDING THREADS