• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1229 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Metabolol said:
Contador can win the Tour next year if he peaks for it. After watching this Tour and the performance of Froome and Quintana, it's clear that it's possible as long as he has he can avoid crashes, comes in with good shape and a team that can back him up. You can't win the Tour without a good team.

This exactly.
We know a 2014 AC can stay with Froome. He could simply follow Froome around for the first 2 weeks of the Tour and then unleash his fury on Froome in the 3rd week. Froome wouldn't have any response.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Metabolol said:
Contador can win the Tour next year if he peaks for it. After watching this Tour and the performance of Froome and Quintana, it's clear that it's possible as long as he has he can avoid crashes, comes in with good shape and a team that can back him up. You can't win the Tour without a good team.

This exactly.
We know a 2014 AC can stay with Froome. He could simply follow Froome around for the first 2 weeks of the Tour and then unleash his fury on Froome in the 3rd week. Froome wouldn't have any response.

agreed. Froome amo is always go postal on the first mountain stage (2013, 2015). He practically decimated everyone. So if Contador can follow him on the first climb.. week 3, he can eat froome for breakfast every mountain stage :D . But he does need to have a strong team to back him up. So far the signing from last year, only Sagan performs better (not on classic but mid season result). Basso, kiserlovski, some russian are so so.

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
See, that's why the TdF sucks. Everybody gets something out of this tedious race, the Froome fans, the Quintana fans, and the Nibali fans, just not those of Berti because the TdF isn't made for him. Too few mountains, too gentle gradients, too many dull flat stages back to back in the first weeks, no mountain time trial.

Ludwig's Olaf said:
See, that's why the TdF sucks. Everybody gets something out of this tedious race, the Froome fans, the Quintana fans, and the Nibali fans, just not those of Berti because the TdF isn't made for him. Too few mountains, too gentle gradients, too many dull flat stages back to back in the first weeks, no mountain time trial.

Ehhhh? :confused:

Re:

cantpedal said:
I think he should target the 1 GT that suits him best next year. 10+ years at the top is a long tjme. all those miles in the legs. To me that's whats remarkable about him. those 10 years.

Exactly right there seems to be a correlation of all riders once they hit 15-18 GTs at the top and then maybe even 1-5 as a young guy not in contention. The body cannot cope sitting at the front of almost every race for 10 years.

Here's hoping for 2014 form at next year's Grand Depart. Contador and Nibali may be the only two top GC guys who aren't afraid to attack Froome and the Sky train, and of the two, I think Contador's the only one with the top-end to make it stick.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

mr. tibbs said:
Here's hoping for 2014 form at next year's Grand Depart. Contador and Nibali may be the only two top GC guys who aren't afraid to attack Froome and the Sky train, and of the two, I think Contador's the only one with the top-end to make it stick.

yep. And for Quintana, he can loose in the wind again .. and will wait again until contador/froome/nibali fade to make his attack on the last mountain to gain 3+ minutes he lost while waiting for valverde.. (in the mean time pinot will snatch the stage win again from him) :D

Ludwig's Olaf said:

You're talking about a three-time Tour winner. Twice fifth after winning the Giro the same year. He handles the Tour just fine IMHO.

And also, what's this about gentle gradients? One of his most iconic victories is on Verbier. 8.7km @ 7.5%, not at all an insane climb. Andorra Arcalis, Plateau de Beille etc are no Zoncolan's either.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I think having seen Contador in this Tour considering he had to beat the entire Astana team at the Giro, finishing quite high up and being there or there abouts at the end of stages....It says to me that if he peaks for the Tour next year which he says he will, no one in this race could stay with him save Froome on Stage 10, that's it.

Re:

ad9898 said:
I think having seen Contador in this Tour considering he had to beat the entire Astana team at the Giro, finishing quite high up and being there or there abouts at the end of stages....It says to me that if he peaks for the Tour next year which he says he will, no one in this race could stay with him save Froome on Stage 10, that's it.
I agree with you. This Tour has given me a lot of confidence for next year.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

ad9898 said:

Take it easy. Quintana in the Alps would have followed him without a doubt.

Contador is still a world class rider, but not the best by any means. Let's just wait how the situation is next july.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
After watching this tour Froome fans must now realise that Contador's Vuelta win was a true result. Froome cannot perform better than that as he showed in this tour.
Bertie was not even 100% at the Vuelta :D

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Arredondo said:
ad9898 said:

Contador is still a world class rider, but not the best by any means. Let's just wait how the situation is next july.

When he is in top form, he is the best. Just on his 2014 Pais Vasco form, he could've won this Tour.

Next year will be great fun when he'll be back on equal terms.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Arredondo said:
ad9898 said:

When he is in top form, he is the best. Just on his 2014 Pais Vasco form, he could've won this Tour.

Next year will be great fun when he'll be back on equal terms.

Even i am realistic about Purito, comparing your expectacions about Berto ;)

TRENDING THREADS