• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1338 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I think Alberto will win Catalunya and Pais Vasco. And the Tour, of course.

volta_29_Altimetrias_Volta_2016_Etapa_4.jpg

Port_Ain%C3%A9_Roni_profile.jpg

;)

Mr.White said:
arvc40 said:
Funny old game Cycling. If Contador raced like the others, watching on wheels he'd of possibly finished ahead of Thomas. The Climb was also pretty damn soft. Then you have to factor in when Contador does that to you day after day on harder climbs. This race has been Piano all week, and on a climb lime that Im not suprised at a non dominant result. Thomas wasn't impressive, he just marks.

Of course he wasn't. Alberto is going to drop him tomorrow, but I'm afraid not permanently.. :(

not being able to drop 2 Sky Domestiques one of whom's wheel he rode for quite some time doesn't look good.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I know the climb was a 'soft' one, but still surprised he couldn't drop others, esp. because the form he is in.
Oh well, maybe age is catching him up more than I thought

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
I think Alberto will win Catalunya and Pais Vasco. And the Tour, of course.

If Contador can't beat Thomas in 2 stages races now....how the hell is he going to beat Froome or Quintana (or Landa even)

He will beat them all the same way he has for the last 2 years.

I just saw the stage profile and is better than I thought to try to do something. Cote de Peille is a good climb to make tough race, isolating as much as possible Thomas. The best thing would be to leave him only with Henao. Then arriving at the foot of Col d'Eze and lauch a big attack on the second km without looking back and we'll see how it ends-

1719.gif

Re: Re:

ad9898 said:
Kwibus said:
ad9898 said:
Great stuff from Contador, it was going to be difficult to find all that time on a climb like that, if the stage the other day hadn't been cancelled he'd have won the overall, that's saying nothing of the mechanical today. Dropping Porte and Dumoulin on a climb like that is encouraging

People need to stop overestimating Dumoulin after last years Vuelta.

He did get dropped on every long MTF.

Yes but it was a Dumoulin type climb, big gear, power climb

Yeh well he usually did better on the steeper climbs so far.

Matteo. said:
I just saw the stage profile and is better than I thought to try to do something. Cote de Peille is a good climb to make tough race, isolating as much as possible Thomas. The best thing would be to leave him only with Henao. Then arriving at the foot of Col d'Eze and lauch a big attack on the second km without looking back and we'll see how it ends-

1719.gif
It is definitely a good stage to make it difficult for Thomas. I think his team will be able to deal with any attacks quite easily though. But I will just watch and see what happens and let myself be surprised. He will try for sure.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
This photo!
CdXv74PW0AEi5zH.jpg
Apart from being a great photo, it gives me heart that a lot of the top riders now are clean, no talking into radios while breaking ascent records like the 2000's.....everyone is grimacing like it should be

LaFlorecita said:
Matteo. said:

]
It is definitely a good stage to make it difficult for Thomas. I think his team will be able to deal with any attacks quite easily though. But I will just watch and see what happens and let myself be surprised. He will try for sure.

if the strategy depends on me, I would use already Trofimov-Majka on Peille trying to keep the Polish to the entrance of Col d'Eze, then all depends on Alberto .

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I would say: make the stage as hard as possible BEFORE Cote de Peille, then use that climb to isolate Thomas and, possibly, take the bonus seconds at the intermediate sprint after it. Then, it's all out on Col d'Eze (or the descent of it).

Let's hope for an Col de Galibier, Tour de France 2011-scenario... (taking the win included, of course).

How do you all assess Contador's performance yesterday? Initially, I was a little disappointed and felt like he certainly wasn't in topform yet. However, it wasn't a finish that suited Contador that much and with his problems with his derailleur I think it's hard to judge. Any thoughts?

I hope for a good show today. I don't really expect him to drop Thomas, but one can always hope.

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
How do you all assess Contador's performance yesterday? Initially, I was a little disappointed and felt like he certainly wasn't in topform yet. However, it wasn't a finish that suited Contador that much and with his problems with his derailleur I think it's hard to judge. Any thoughts?

I hope for a good show today. I don't really expect him to drop Thomas, but one can always hope.

Well, i don't know really.
I think I still am a bit disappointed, because I'm afraid Contador is just getting older, which means it just gets harder for him to defeat riders he would have defeated years ago.

Of course, the climb didn't really suit him - especially against the likes of Thomas en Zakarin. But, all the rest is just hypothetical: "Íf the climb was steeper, he would've taken minutes..." That just isn't the case. He prepared to win Paris-Nice, but it seems like this will be difficult. I think that's the most disappointing (altough he could well attack and win today). It's not only yesterday's stage, it's also the prologue, the loss of seconds on stage 3.

Volta a Catalunya and Pais Vasco will give us more information really, especially Pais Vasco, I think. In that Tour there are many tough climbs and many opponents, with hard battles everyday, including a time trial that should suit Contador. I'm very curious about Contador in that race.

TRENDING THREADS