• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1380 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I just saw the last 5km of yesterday's stage on Eurosport, Alberto looked really strong :) he didn't really attack, he just accelerated and tore the group apart :)
I know it's two days late but I like this post. The other races be attached and kept on sprinting for 20 seconds. This one he went for 5-8 seconds and sat down and still tore it up. I feel like he has a good chance to hold the dawg

Re:

cellardoor said:
There was something strange going on with the coverage. We didn't see Contador at all on the climb and we saw Henao's intermediate time long before we got Contador's. I had totally written him off and assumed he must have been outside the top 10 at the intermediate. Then he looked to be taking the descent so cautiously that I thought he was going to throw it all away. Counting down the seconds as he he came up to the line and then counting the seconds as Henao came in was a nailbiting few minutes! Anyway, very happy to see him get this win which is thoroughly deserved after being so consistent all spring.

Yes and no. The tv was stupid - I am afraid I must say as almost always in Spain - sadly and we didn't see Bertie climbing. But we didn't get Henao's time earlier, it was Sebastian Henao's time.

just to fantasize a bit and thinking about 2013 hilly ITT ... I say no more :cool:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Spectacular climbing, remember he's being crushing it since 2007, it's now 2016 and he just destroyed guys far younger than him, just immense. If God rides a bike his name is Contador, nobody in the modern era comes close

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I were looking forward to these last two stages to measure how strong he actually has been so lets sum it up:

Yesterday he followed Henao in super form with ease and destroyed the group with a little acceleration and seemed to only preserve himself while doing it almost!!

Today he completely destroyed the likes of Henao, Pinot, Sanches and Quintana up that hill, super strong its no other way to put it!

In PN he was very good aswell but duo the limited chances to take time duo to the course and the cancelled stage (not to mention the 4 sec loose on that sprint) so he finished a not so importantly second place, but more importantly he showed he was strong, no question about it.

In Catalanya he proved to be the second strongest in the mountains which was okei in all honesty cause Quintana was strong and Quintana is no joke and also Contador was clearly effected by the cold he had gotten in PN, so taking that into account that second place becomes suddenly quite good!

Very good stuff, im happy and Ive seen enough and im very satisfied with his spring. Not 100%-2014 lvl overall I would say, but not far from it so very good stuff! (although todays TT, taken away the time he lost duo to coutios downhilling and only on the hill vs others was 2014 lvl)

Its looking very good baring any injuries or sickness!!

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Publicus said:
BigMac said:
I hate to be that guy, but this doesn't mean much when it's Froome he's going to face in July. Contador could have beaten him in all races prior to the Tour and, were I fan, still wouln't get too excited.

Lol. based on performances THIS year, it surely means a lot more than you're willing to concede. :p :p :p

Froome is the TDF defending champion, he's got that invincible sort of Aura around him, he can do the worst first half of the season, no one will care.

I don't go even close to putting him on a pedestal like most people do, because I know, on equal ground, he's just as much of a favorite as Contador. Cause I take my mind and bias away from the last few Tours.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well he smashed the holy hell of Quintana and Henao today, gave them a climbing lesson. Incredible.

Best climber of the spring, especially considering how consistent he's been since Malhao. I'd say one counter performance on Port Ainé, the one which disappointed me the most, but that's what happens when you combine getting ill and resting. Quintana came strong from his training camp to win that but already cracked in Pais Vasco, so nowhere near AC's climbing performance.

Carols said:
BigMac said:
I hate to be that guy, but this doesn't mean much when it's Froome he's going to face in July. Contador could have beaten him in all races prior to the Tour and, were I fan, still wouln't get too excited.

LOL not allowed to enjoy for even an hour. We'll worry about Froome in the Dauphine, yes?

I'm not here much these days, but wanted to come by just to say how great it is to see Contador back on climbing form, and finally, getting a much deserved victory. How nice to share the pleasure with others who take pleasure in a good day's racing. :)

Crumbs, though, I was a wreck! I'm surprised you didn't hear me cheering over there on the continent, Flo!

harryh said:
Matteo. said:
just to fantasize a bit and thinking about 2013 hilly ITT ... I say no more :cool:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Yep. Contador lost only 9 secs to Froome who won the stage meaning Alberto was in a monster form in 2013.

BlurryVII said:
harryh said:
They didn't finish The 2014 Tour de France. Vuelta was just a training ride for the 2015 Tour where Aplerto showed his recent TdF class, again. This year poor old Alppuerto will be beaten in TdF by several riders, again. But hey, he already has won enough to make him almost as great champion as his former team mate LA is. Chapeau to both of them!

froome-valverde-contador.jpg

Electress said:
Carols said:
BigMac said:

LOL not allowed to enjoy for even an hour. We'll worry about Froome in the Dauphine, yes?

I'm not here much these days, but wanted to come by just to say how great it is to see Contador back on climbing form, and finally, getting a much deserved victory. How nice to share the pleasure with others who take pleasure in a good day's racing. :)

Crumbs, though, I was a wreck! I'm surprised you didn't hear me cheering over there on the continent, Flo!

Between LaFlo in the lowlands, you in England and me in the USA it was shouts heard round the world :).

So happy for him, he has come so close all year and now gets his just reward!!! Chapeau Alberto, he may be getting a bit older but he still carrying the goods in those legs :). This should build his confidence to razor hone the form for the next showdown.

Re:

ad9898 said:
Spectacular climbing, remember he's being crushing it since 2007, it's now 2016 and he just destroyed guys far younger than him, just immense. If God rides a bike his name is Contador, nobody in the modern era comes close

I was going to write some kind of praise about Contador, he deserves today. but when I read this kind of things, better no... he is already exagerating praised...

In 2013 he did in the Tour a hard ITT at this level, so I dont have much more to say.

Have a nice day.

Cheers.

harryh said:
Matteo. said:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Yep. Contador lost only 9 secs to Froome who won the stage meaning Alberto was in a monster form in 2013.

I thought you were watching tv with Froome laughing how his domestique destroys Bertie. Nice to see you found some time to refresh us with some constructive points.

Actually Taxus is gonna analyse why Bertie lost time in the second part of the itt, maybe you can all meet and analyse together. Maybe also Landa's new superclimbing style he showed yesterday and his improved itt today.

harryh said:
ray j willings said:
harryh said:
Alperto needs to be at 2009 level to beat Froome in Tour de France.

2014 level is good enough , he kicked froomes as% and destroyed and toyed with him at the Vuelta remember that ?

I'm sure your reply will be full of excuses for froome getting a beating from bertie.
The fact you mention the Mt Ventoux attack when the data proved that attack was not that special shows how little you know. 2014 BABY :D

They didn't finish The 2014 Tour de France. Vuelta was just a training ride for the 2015 Tour where Aplerto showed his recent TdF class, again. This year poor old Alppuerto will be beaten in TdF by several riders, again. But hey, he already has won enough to make him almost as great champion as his former team mate LA is. Chapeau to both of them!

Quite agree! :)

The most smiling for me is the argument about age, when Samu is 3 years older was quite close.

For some people it is like 33 is a worse age than 25... &#63 :eek:

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Nairo's face omg :p

I think after beating Alberto by a few secs on a couple of climbs he was perhaps thinking he's getting the better of him as Contador gets older. Today however Quintana rode an amazing climb yet got totally destroyed, I think his face is just the realisation that when Contador is on form he's just not good enough

Jakub said:
harryh said:
Matteo. said:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

I thought you were watching tv with Froome laughing how his domestique destroys Bertie. Nice to see you found some time to refresh us with some constructive points.

Actually Taxus is gonna analyse why Bertie lost time in the second part of the itt, maybe you can all meet and analyse together. Maybe also Landa's new superclimbing style he showed yesterday and his improved itt today.

I am going to my girlfriend house, so I wont do these days... but it is quite simple, Contador use to go to plus to less in the ITT, as well in his attacks...he was as welll the best time in the first climb in Pekin, but he was fourth at the end. That is not a problem when you have got so many time before, Contador is the best rider maybe on History of cycling for these kind of ITT.

The better new today is that contador is changing his mind about abandon cycling... so I hope to see him next year.

I will take times is you ask me in the next week. For sure Contador didnt take risk, but he was full gas at the end, and he said that in the interview, it wont be difficult to take times with Quintana from the start of the final climb and the finish line, about 4 km.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
ad9898 said:

In 2013 he did in the Tour a hard ITT at this level, so I dont have much more to say.

So what? If he was in top form, we can only assume he'd have beaten Froome by at least 30 seconds in that 2013 ITT.

He beat him by a large margin in Vuelta 12' and Vuelta 14' hilly TTs. He was in a better form than Froome in Vuelta 12' but it just shows that he's more gifted for those Hilly TTs overall and so he shoud've beaten him in 2013, but he was in such a bad form that he couldn't but still came close.

TRENDING THREADS