• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1412 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The hype seems bigger than when he went to Algarve. Hopefully, he will start a little better this time around but while he looks extremely motivated and is a good candidate for the uphill prologue, I have a feeling he might peak a little too early if he just demolishes the oppositions which the posters here seems to expect. I don't recall Contador to be dominant here in either of his TdF wins.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The hype seems bigger than when he went to Algarve. Hopefully, he will start a little better this time around but while he looks extremely motivated and is a good candidate for the uphill prologue, I have a feeling he might peak a little too early if he just demolishes the oppositions which the posters here seems to expect. I don't recall Contador to be dominant here in either of his TdF wins.

Contador never peaks too early, and he still got another training camp in the Dolomites after the Dauphiné. Just enjoy the show, that's all I'm gonna say.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I agree.OTOH I hope is experienced enough to not make this mistake. But it can definitely be a problem,he should not go to red.

Re:

Red Rick said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEGpv0xn0E8&t=7m22s

This never fails to make me LOL. :D

L279IQP.jpg

Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
Valv.Piti said:

Contador never peaks too early, and he still got another training camp in the Dolomites after the Dauphiné. Just enjoy the show, that's all I'm gonna say.

I see, not an ounce of doubt as usual. Contador is professional, but its not uncommon to either peak a little to late or worse, a little too early. I think he knows what he is doing.

I certainly will. I think every cycling-fan with respect for themselves particularly will try to catch the uphill prologue. Christmas day for watt fetishs.

Re:

Miburo said:
Contador looks so **** strong. Gotta calm down, but if he wins this prologue and with a good margin, i'm gonna get drunk celebrating his tour victory.

Let the dauphine begin, will be an amazing battle between him and froome

Personally, I don't think it'll be much of a fight a la 2014. I think Froome is trying to peak last two weeks of TDF as opposed to first two as usual, in fact Contador is going to win his first Dauphine in my eyes. We shall see anyway, I am looking forward to the prologue.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:
Contador looks so **** strong. Gotta calm down, but if he wins this prologue and with a good margin, i'm gonna get drunk celebrating his tour victory.

Personally, I don't think it'll be much of a fight a la 2014. I think Froome is trying to peak last two weeks of TDF as opposed to first two as usual, in fact Contador is going to win his first Dauphine in my eyes. We shall see anyway, I am looking forward to the prologue.

Is it Froome's bad / average showing this season that makes you say this? He wasn't better than that last year all the way until Dauphiné, and he still peaked the first 2 weeks at the Tour and cracked last week for whatever reason.

BlurryVII said:
Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:

Is it Froome's bad / average showing this season that makes you say this? He wasn't better than that last year all the way until Dauphiné, and he still peaked the first 2 weeks at the Tour and cracked last week for whatever reason.

It may be the Tour - Olympics - Vuelta schedule that may have lead him to believe that

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:

It may be the Tour - Olympics - Vuelta schedule that may have lead him to believe that

The Olympics maybe, but he planned to ride the Vuelta last year as well, didn't work out for him.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
In terms of peaking for the 2 last weeks in the Tour, no (not that it probably was his plan), but lets remember that he crashed out and looked pretty strong until the abandon. He may even have been the favourite before that stage to Els Cortals.

Yeah but "Rip" as you'd say, it's not like he was doing any better than he did in the previous 3 Vueltas, ain't it.

Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:

Oh my, I can't take it anymore, can we just fast-forward to the first stage :) :)

BlurryVII said:
Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:

Brailsford says as much here

http://www.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/10269939/chris-froome-on-track-for-tour-de-france-says-sir-dave-brailsford

I think Contador, Quintana and Froome have similar goals for the Tour-Olympics, so I don't know that anyone is targeting to peak early at the Tour. Seems to me Braislford is trying to put as good a face on Froome's subpar start to the season as he can (which he's supposed to do of course).

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Froome weakness is he got ill easily. Probably because he is too skinny that he is prone to get sick easily. At least that's my observation. Last year tour, he was getting sick, and that's probably explain why he was weak in the last week. Whether that's categorized of being faltering on the last week, it's up for debate. I can't find any article on 2013 if he was the same on the last week. When he was working for Wiggins, he was still pedaling strong on the last week. On the other hand, Contador seems to be able to managed his health well. As long as, he doesn't let Froome blows up the race on the first mountain stage, he would be in contention. 2 years in a row, Froome always blew everyone on the first hard mountain stage. Btw, I didn't realize that Dauphene 1 stage was mountain ITT. Whew, talking about excitement. I'm curious between those two, who will climb faster?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Matteo. said:
Achieved this Giro, i'm already ready for Dauphinè and then the Tour. :cool:
I'm looking forward for the MTT, vamos Alberto!!

Yeah, let's move on to hopefully more serious and fair racing and nothing happens to Alberto. This Giro was a running joke.

BlurryVII said:
Matteo. said:

Yeah, let's move on to hopefully more serious and fair racing and nothing happens to Alberto. This Giro was a running joke.
Yes, please no crashes or mechanicals. Fingers crossed.
Alberto should be at the Marcha Contador tomorrow, let's see how fit he looks :)

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
Matteo. said:

What wasn't fair about this Giro?
The winner... and valverde making podium

BlurryVII said:
Matteo. said:

Yes, you've already said everything mate.
I don't know if he will win the Tour but seeing the spring of Alberto( closed with Pais Vasco), i'm pretty confident he 'll ''play his cards''. I just hope he does not have bad luck as in these last few years. Bad luck that it seems very fit at this time on peloton . Finger crossed

TRENDING THREADS