• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1430 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

BlurryVII said:
I think Quintana would've struggled as well on a finish like this, Froome has definitely more power and can compete on these low gradient sprints.
I'm also agree with you.
Aparth from matter of racing legs, this kind of easy climb has never suited him. Gradients are too low and he is always outsprinted
On this terrain Froome is clearly better of all the GC guys

Re: Re:

lenric said:
Cance > TheRest said:
lenric said:
Matteo. said:
I'm happy for the team performance , finally they look good.
Alberto lost 4s from Froome , but with this kind of finale i'm not worried. He lacks racing legs

To be fair, so does Froome.
Last time Froome rode a stage race was by the end of April. Last time Alberto rode a stage race was in the very beginning of April. However, Alberto has more racing days in his legs this year, if that is what you mean?
Anyway today's result is just a matter of Alberto not being suited for flat'ish climbs in the company of puncheurs. Froome has shown on numerous occasions that he's good on rather flat finishes like this, OTOH.

What I meant was they both lack racing days. Everything else is just noise and fanboys making up excuses to over/undermine each riders strengths and weaknesses.
And if some people here say that today's loss of time to Froome can be explained by Contador not being very good in this type of endings, one can argue also that Froome may not adapt all that well as Contador to ITTs like Sunday ones.

To be honest, neither the loss of time from Froome 2 days ago, neither the loss of time today of Alberto mean that much. We can only infer something on the weekend, until then, like I already said, it's just people who can't be rational making up excuses.
Luckily justice has been served: No gaps today.
But the point about Froome being very good on these types of finishes still holds though.
From the top of my head:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=139136
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=116945
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=124208

It really isn't about whether Contador lost time or not. For me it's more important whether he was capable of following the acceleration or has just chosen to sit. At the moment Herrada got off, Contador looked like he wanted to respond but couldn't, afterwards it looked like he chose to sit despite riders flying by left and right to him.
Wouldn't take too much from today's stage, but would have been more clear if he's been up front in the first group behind Herrada.

Cance > TheRest said:
lenric said:
Cance > TheRest said:
lenric said:
Matteo. said:
I'm happy for the team performance , finally they look good.
Alberto lost 4s from Froome , but with this kind of finale i'm not worried. He lacks racing legs

To be fair, so does Froome.
Last time Froome rode a stage race was by the end of April. Last time Alberto rode a stage race was in the very beginning of April. However, Alberto has more racing days in his legs this year, if that is what you mean?
Anyway today's result is just a matter of Alberto not being suited for flat'ish climbs in the company of puncheurs. Froome has shown on numerous occasions that he's good on rather flat finishes like this, OTOH.

What I meant was they both lack racing days. Everything else is just noise and fanboys making up excuses to over/undermine each riders strengths and weaknesses.
And if some people here say that today's loss of time to Froome can be explained by Contador not being very good in this type of endings, one can argue also that Froome may not adapt all that well as Contador to ITTs like Sunday ones.

To be honest, neither the loss of time from Froome 2 days ago, neither the loss of time today of Alberto mean that much. We can only infer something on the weekend, until then, like I already said, it's just people who can't be rational making up excuses.
Luckily justice has been served: No gaps today.
But the point about Froome being very good on these types of finishes still holds though.
From the top of my head:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=139136
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=116945
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=124208

I also seem to recall Contador getting gapped in a few of those no matter his form.

Re:

Jakub said:
But it is true that Kiserlovski and especially Trofimov suck. Now it is clear why Roman rides Dauphine and not Schweiz. He wouldn't have any chance there though.
Kiserlovski was okay. From this team, they should definitely take Roman, Hansen and Valgren. Kiserlovski was decent so he could get a spot too, same for Paulinho.
Gogl also looks strong but he is too inexperienced for a GT.

Of couse today it is not a day for big conclusions... and of course what he did in Arrate ITT this year iss better than in 2013...but I dont have still lot of arguments despite he did a great prologue here to think he is going to show a level in le Tour to beat Froome or Quintana...as I said he did that performance in le Tour in te second ITT of 2013... so not sure his level is better...
he has never show a level to beat in le Tour Froome or Quintana after hi santion... 2014 Vuelta is not enough level. He just could drop a Froome with less shape after to follow his whelll some Kms...

We will see on friday or saturday, short stages, so good for Contador, but strong enough to take more conclusions...

LaFlorecita said:
Jakub said:
But it is true that Kiserlovski and especially Trofimov suck. Now it is clear why Roman rides Dauphine and not Schweiz. He wouldn't have any chance there though.
Kiserlovski was okay. From this team, they should definitely take Roman, Hansen and Valgren. Kiserlovski was decent so he could get a spot too, same for Paulinho.

Yeah, Contador, Kreuziger, Hansen, Valgren, Kiserlovski, Paulinho from this squad + Sagan, Bennati from Suisse + Majka. This should make for a good all-round team!

Re:

BlurryVII said:
I think Quintana would've struggled as well on a finish like this, Froome has definitely more power and can compete on these low gradient sprints.

Indeed, but I'll give you it somewhat worrisome since the final was so relatively hard that he should make up for his lack of explosiveness to some extent.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the answers, but less than stellar today, especially compared to the prologue. No worries.

Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:

Indeed, but I'll give you it somewhat worrisome since the final was so relatively hard that he should make up for his lack of explosiveness to some extent.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the answers, but less than stellar today, especially compared to the prologue. No worries.

I think Contador showed more power in the prologue, at least everybody talked about wattage that day...

Pierre Roland have more power??

Contador has been podium in Fleche Valone, beated Valverde in Mende... Contador is quite explosive, not as Purito, but more explosive than Froome.. Froome couldnt follow Landa at 4 Km to the finish when he got a better position in the field.. but later he was building up his body, progressing, and at the end he got a good position (8th)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:

I think Contador showed more power in the prologue, at least everybody talked about wattage that day...

Pierre Roland have more power??

Contador has been podium in Fleche Valone, beated Valverde in Mende... Contador is quite explosive, not as Purito, but more explosive than Froome.. Froome couldnt follow Landa at 4 Km to the finish when he got a better position in the field.. but later he was building up his body, progressing, and at the end he got a good position (8th)

Gosh, you don't see the difference between a LOW gradient sprint like today and Mur de Huy or Mende?

Massive facepalm.

I have to say Froome is a relentless competitor. You have to admire his drive. He could have sailed in with the bunch, but rather choose to go full gas in the final run in. Certainly he will be ready come the Tour.

By contrast Contador at times seems to let things slide. He didn't need to gain time today and really didn't need to go all out in the final. It wasn't a place to gain time. However, he was also grimacing and was behind Froome noticeably, such that I initially thought the 4 second loss was real (and frankly I'm not sure it wasn't justified). Froome surged ahead for sure.

Is it princely calm on AC's part, or lack of tenacity (or at least showing how much Froome will fight on relentlessly)?

One thing is for sure, Contador has his work cut out for him here and at the Tour.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm very disappointed today... what a terrible ride by contador,he almost lost time in a third category. Froome is very strong and i fear that he will crush contador on saturday.

Re:

portugal11 said:
I'm very disappointed today... what a terrible ride by contador,he almost lost time in a third category. Froome is very strong and i fear that he will crush contador on saturday.
Nonsense. He *almost* lost time today in a flat sprint. That is in no way the same as a climb.
Froome may still crush Contador, but we can't say that after today.

bajbar said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jakub said:

Yeah, Contador, Kreuziger, Hansen, Valgren, Kiserlovski, Paulinho from this squad + Sagan, Bennati from Suisse + Majka. This should make for a good all-round team!
Ok, but Paulinho not.

Bertie, Roman, Rafal, Jesper, Robert
Sagan, Valgren, Gatto, Bennati

Then. I would really like to see Gatto there. He's one of the few able to stay there till the end.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sky played the team card game today. This isn't the level of Astana that Contador faced in the Giro. His form is better be that good to fend them off. Froome looked strong today. With that kind of firepower of sky team, Froome is going to be hard to beat. Contador has a lot in his hand. Today, Contador was grimacing on the last climb. Hopefully, It's just lack of speed in his leg made him suffered a bit. The last 3 stages will be epic.