• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1427 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:
What I don't get is why is Contador so good now, as in 2014, but bad in 2013 and 2015?

And I mean this in pure preparation terms. Whereas Froome has been good since 2012...

2015 was a different build up. I think he was trying to use the giro as a build up for the tour but ended up overtraining due to the constant attacks by astana, and never reached peak.

I think 2013 was a hard year for contador. It was his first full season after his ban and i think the ban was a hard blow for him. Remember he was booed at the start of the 2011 tour. Some riders never recover from beeing, in their eyes and mine, unfairly banned. Marco pantani never recovered from it and his ban ended up killing him (Rip). Also remember wiggins lost motivation after one tdf victory and Contador is a guy who has won all the GT´s multiple times. I think the beating he took from froome in 13 helped him get motivated again.
also his 2013 prep was ruined by beeing sick early in the season

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I still find it quite funny that some people doesn't seem to understand why Contador didn't perform at a high level in 2015 :D He never went to the Giro in top shape, as he said himself.

Of course there weren't any excuses for 2013, that was just a bad year for him probably with bad prep etc.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

SevenTimeTdfChamp said:
rhubroma said:
What I don't get is why is Contador so good now, as in 2014, but bad in 2013 and 2015?

And I mean this in pure preparation terms. Whereas Froome has been good since 2012...

2015 was a different build up. I think he was trying to use the giro as a build up for the tour but ended up overtraining due to the constant attacks by astana, and never reached peak.

I think 2013 was a hard year for contador. It was his first full season after his ban and i think the ban was a hard blow for him. Remember he was booed at the start of the 2011 tour. Some riders never recover from beeing, in their eyes and mine, unfairly banned. Marco pantani never recovered from it and his ban ended up killing him (Rip). Also remember wiggins lost motivation after one tdf victory and Contador is a guy who has won all the GT´s multiple times. I think the beating he took from froome in 13 helped him get motivated again.
also his 2013 prep was ruined by beeing sick early in the season

Very true.

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:

if you dont get that its simply beacuse you lack knowledge about cycling. Have you ever heard of the Giro-Tour double, and even more do you understand its impossible to be full lvl at both the Tour and the Giro? :rolleyes:

Contador tried to be at 90ish at both but it didnt work out since its near impossible to complete the Giro-Tour double in current era.

Those questions honestly doesnt deserve a answer cause its so simple to understand but here you go.

Next year will be the best chance someone has for a while of doing the Giro-Tour double.

100th Giro should attract the big names, and if they're all fatigued together, then they only have to compete with fresh second-tier riders.

And as we saw at the Vuelta last year, 2nd tier riders like Aru when fully fresh are only marginally better than fatigued Quintana (who was ill during the 2nd week)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Next year will be the best chance someone has for a while of doing the Giro-Tour double.

100th Giro should attract the big names, and if they're all fatigued together, then they only have to compete with fresh second-tier riders.

And as we saw at the Vuelta last year, 2nd tier riders like Aru when fully fresh are only marginally better than fatigued Quintana (who was ill during the 2nd week)

Contador is only going for the Tour in 17', 100% from what he said until now.

Don't see why he wouldn't take advantage if NQ and CF go to the Giro beforehand like they did in 2015.

BlurryVII said:
PremierAndrew said:

Don't see why he wouldn't take advantage if NQ and CF go to the Giro beforehand like they did in 2015.

I would have expected AC to try to win the 100th edition of the Giro! Especially as he is 100% committed to the TDF this season.

And I still can't understand the regularly bought up theory that Contador didn't perform to a high level at the '15 Giro :rolleyes:

gregrowlerson said:
BlurryVII said:
PremierAndrew said:

I would have expected AC to try to win the 100th edition of the Giro! Especially as he is 100% committed to the TDF this season.

And I still can't understand the regularly bought up theory that Contador didn't perform to a high level at the '15 Giro :rolleyes:
what do you expect to read from the posters obsessed with contador winning? for sure the language of excuses and 'equal conditions' will always be at hand.

gregrowlerson said:
BlurryVII said:
PremierAndrew said:

High sure, but not as high as 2014 Dauphine. Contador was trying to leave some room for improvement going into the 2015 Tour. Obviously in the end it didn't matter.

matusow_m said:
rhubroma said:

if you dont get that its simply beacuse you lack knowledge about cycling. Have you ever heard of the Giro-Tour double, and even more do you understand its impossible to be full lvl at both the Tour and the Giro? :rolleyes:

Contador tried to be at 90ish at both but it didnt work out since its near impossible to complete the Giro-Tour double in current era.

Those questions honestly doesnt deserve a answer cause its so simple to understand but here you go.

Quit the condescending remarks - it really doesn't do anyone any good.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
alberto-contador-criterium-du-dauphine-tinkoff_3478717.jpg

Look at pics from spring and check his cheeks,he is leaner...but he can still lose a kilo from the belly imo ;)

Re:

ILovecycling said:
alberto-contador-criterium-du-dauphine-tinkoff_3478717.jpg

Look at pics from spring and check his cheeks,he is leaner...but he can still lose a kilo from the belly imo ;)

When you lose weight, you don't lose 1 kilo here and 0 there. Your body loses 1 kilo, which is a kilo distributed around your body. There's no such thing as losing fat in only one place.
Having said that, if Contador sets himself to lose 400 grams in his belly, he will end up losing 2 kilos overall, depending on his physiology.

What he should do is to throw his black shoes to the garbage and get a white ones.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Perhaps these shoes are lighter and make up for the weight of his supposed beer belly.
I didnt say that :p

I know you cant lose fat in one particular spot,I just pointed out that it would be possible to lose a kg from his belly (if its not muscle as Flo said :) )

TRENDING THREADS