• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1461 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador is sexy on a bike, not so much off it. But we all know fleur got a special affection for Contador, prob got her room full of posters.

Not judging, you should see mine emma watson posters

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
Carols said:
Matteo. said:
ad9898 said:
I'm still thinking Contador and win the Tour. He seems pretty bullish that the Dauphine was a training ground to get his racing legs, he seems happy regardless of the result. My concern is the team, his team is utterly useless, they can't protect him, they can't cover attacks as they are not there. Sky are going to be monstrous...Landa. Thomas, Heneo etc. That's the tough part as Alberto really is going to need Giro '11 form
meh, the team seems pretty good.
Hansen, Kreuz, Kiser, did a good job in mountains in this Dauphinè. Same for Valgren in the flat, i saw him really good. We await Majka, and the Tour mountains squad looks complete and solid. All you need is another man more for the flat to help him and Sagan, probably Tosatto given that Bennati isn't ready

And there is no way that bunch will decimate Sky's train. It's a good team, but not in the same league with Sky. But Sky could falter, its been know to happen :).

name by name are stronger on paper. But yesterday we saw that does not seem unbeatable: in a kilometer Alberto destroyed the train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdpuWu3oB-g

After watching it again there is moment there were froome is at the front chasing contador and the gap starts going out, then henao comes back to try and pull him up, then he drops off after the gap goes slightly out. Then Froome takes over. It may not have succeeded but the info learned from this attack might serve him well for the tour. His form is certainly improving

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
#whatdidido

Anyway, start a thread in the cafe if you want, cause the only on topic beauty to be discussed in this the beauty of watching Pisti dancing away Verbier style.

Discussing Etna style may also be tolerated
You forgot that Alberto has quite a few female fans who admire him for more than just his racing prowess :p

Indeed, there are many who share your exemplary taste and discernment.

After watching it again there is moment there were froome is at the front chasing contador and the gap starts going out, then henao comes back to try and pull him up, then he drops off after the gap goes slightly out. Then Froome takes over. It may not have succeeded but the info learned from this attack might serve him well for the tour. His form is certainly improving

I felt that at the time - had Henao not made it back, I think Froome might have struggled. I think he also might have been in trouble had the other riders worked with AC, or attacked. The key to the Tour will be getting Froome isolated. Taking nothing away from Froome, but there's no doubt that the Sky train massively hinder other riders exploiting any weaknesses. Whilst I still think that AC on top form can ride away from any one, he and Froome are too close (when on good form) for either one to be consistently better throughout 3 weeks. AC will win by good form, good recovery and good tactics, with a little help from other riders attacking.

Matteo. said:
Carols said:
Matteo. said:
ad9898 said:
I'm still thinking Contador and win the Tour. He seems pretty bullish that the Dauphine was a training ground to get his racing legs, he seems happy regardless of the result. My concern is the team, his team is utterly useless, they can't protect him, they can't cover attacks as they are not there. Sky are going to be monstrous...Landa. Thomas, Heneo etc. That's the tough part as Alberto really is going to need Giro '11 form
Hansen, Kreuz, Kiser, did a good job in mountains in this Dauphinè. Same for Valgren in the flat, i saw him really good. We await Majka, and the Tour mountains squad looks complete and solid. All you need is another man more for the flat to help him and Sagan, probably Tosatto given that Bennati isn't ready

And there is no way that bunch will decimate Sky's train. It's a good team, but not in the same league with Sky. But Sky could falter, its been know to happen :).

name by name are stronger on paper. But yesterday we saw that does not seem unbeatable: in a kilometer Alberto destroyed the train

That's the whole point, he shouldn't Have to do it himself! Froome sits in his rocking chair with 3 guys in front of him, saving himself and Alberto has to use himself to get rid of the 3 guys and then he is vulnerable and needs recovery while Froome is fresh as a daisy!

Matteo. said:
Carols said:
Matteo. said:
ad9898 said:

I feel a lot better after watching that. He was even more on the offensive and looked even better than I expected after reading recaps. That looked like more than 2 attacks, and Froome definitely looked on his limit to me. If Froome is closer to 100% than Contador, look out.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Miburo said:
BlurryVII said:
Great post, yeah still not over the Tour 14', it will always hurt until he wins the Tour.

Not even if Emma Watson haD a twinsister and both come over to my house, not even then i'll get over it.

Not just as a Contador fan, it would have been the greatest tour of this century if both Contador and Froome didn't crash out.

The man wasn't even hurting when he rode Nibali off his wheel, he was just calmly accelerating. At that point i think he knew he had the tour in the bag. Been ages since i've seen that kinda face on Contador.

Might aswell accept that i'll never get over it. I still hope Emma Watson is gonna come over though
LMAO :D I see we have something in common :D

About Froome bluffing in last stage: I think he (CF)had legs to attack but not really hard

@ VayaVayaVaya
in truth I do not know . The impression is that Froome had the legs to fight back, but not with the same force of Vaujany.
on the contrary Alberto it was definitely improved but not enough to go alone. However, I think there is room for improvement

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site

Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
#whatdidido

Anyway, start a thread in the cafe if you want, cause the only on topic beauty to be discussed in this the beauty of watching Pisti dancing away Verbier style.

You forgot that Alberto has quite a few female fans who admire him for more than just his racing prowess :p

I felt that at the time - had Henao not made it back, I think Froome might have struggled. I think he also might have been in trouble had the other riders worked with AC, or attacked. The key to the Tour will be getting Froome isolated. Taking nothing away from Froome, but there's no doubt that the Sky train massively hinder other riders exploiting any weaknesses. Whilst I still think that AC on top form can ride away from any one, he and Froome are too close (when on good form) for either one to be consistently better throughout 3 weeks. AC will win by good form, good recovery and good tactics, with a little help from other riders attacking.

Yes, agreed

casati said:
Matteo. said:
Carols said:
Matteo. said:
ad9898 said:

To me it seems like he didn't go all out with his attack. Seems more like he was testing himself against Team SKY than Froome to be honest.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
#whatdidido

I hope Tinkoff staff are analyzing the data from AC's tests...some conclusions I have are
1/ You cannot follow the Sky train. The playbook of the Sky train which they obviously practice over and over again is Ride hard and fast till the last 5km and Froome can fly. I wondered hey if a rider can follow the train why is Froome so far off from others? After all, it is not as if the train has a chain connect to Froome's bike and he just sleeps. It could be from continuous practice of this playbook, his book is more conditioned for it.
2/ The Sky train has to be disrupted early, like at least 10-17km from the end
3/ The Sky train can be disrupted on a really steep gradient > 10%
4/ You have to isolate Froome and early. He is so conditioned to the playbook that he really does not know what to do when the train is not there before the 5km mark. Could be why he attacked AC and then halted, waiting for the train to gather.
5/ Disruption of the train exposes weakness in Froome
6/ It is not just any early attack that frazzles Froome, it has to be one that breaks the train. The focus has to be the train. You must disrupt that play book. If you do not break the train, he is confident the train will reel you back in.
7/ True, multiple teams can work to break the train, but I think multiple early maverick actions from GC contenders will frazzle the playbook. Quintana attacks, Nibs then attacks, AC attacks and it has to stick. And there has got be a really steep climb somewhere early.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LMAO if you think movistar and tinkoff will work together.

In 2013 and 2015 they had all reason to do so but they didn't. 90% of the problem lies in that movistar won't do anything risky and will chase instead after Contador the whole time. Well 100% of is it actually

Astana is a great ally, and maybe ag2r too.

Re:

Miburo said:

In 2013 and 2015 they had all reason to do so but they didn't. 90% of the problem lies in that movistar won't do anything risky and will chase instead after Contador the whole time. Well 100% of is it actually

I think AG2R will be a great ally. Especially Bardet

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
But hopefully Contador won't need it. Best case scenario he's only 30sec-1min behind on the first restday to froome. That would be great, then survive the ventoux stage, that'll be important.

And then he can start thinking of gaining time.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
But hopefully Contador won't need it. Best case scenario he's only 30sec-1min behind on the first restday to froome. That would be great, then survive the ventoux stage, that'll be important.

And then he can start thinking of gaining time.
I think aspin will be crucial.

rune1107 said:
Miburo said:

I think AG2R will be a great ally. Especially Bardet

Come July I don't think Bardet will play a big role. I really hope I'm wrong, this Dauphine he's shown his best performance until now and I hope he can improve that as well since he's a race animator.