• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1471 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
His body language was terrible in dauphine and he looks uncomfortable against froome. He only spent a week in altitude, this means that his preparation was almost done when he arrived to dauphine. Sorry guys, but i don't expect big things in july.

I have not seen anyone produce a big change from dauphine to TDF. It pretty much 95% done by dauphine. The big question though is that was Froome closer to peak than AC? It did seem like AC's engines were picking up at the end and I guess with age, its more like a diesel engine. So thats good news and that was AC's objective.

Re: Re:

jilbiker said:
portugal11 said:
His body language was terrible in dauphine and he looks uncomfortable against froome. He only spent a week in altitude, this means that his preparation was almost done when he arrived to dauphine. Sorry guys, but i don't expect big things in july.

I have not seen anyone produce a big change from dauphine to TDF. It pretty much 95% done by dauphine. The big question though is that was Froome closer to peak than AC? It did seem like AC's engines were picking up at the end and I guess with age, its more like a diesel engine. So thats good news and that was AC's objective.

didn't nibali produce a big change between the 2014 Dauphine and the TdF?

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Publicus said:
jilbiker said:
portugal11 said:

didn't nibali produce a big change between the 2014 Dauphine and the TdF?

Ahh...true that..chuckle

CheckMyPecs said:
Kwibus said:
Getting rid of race radios and smaller teams is something I like much more indeed!
The cure for all woes. Apparently.

I can't see where I or Electress claimed that?
Race radios are good for 'riders safety' so there should be a central radio for safety updates, but no tactics from the car. If anything it certainly did not make cycling more attractive.

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Lol.. I see Old&slow's posts have already been deleted but I just wanted to say that I thought it was hilarious he basically 100% copy-pasted his own post from 2015 :D viewtopic.php?p=1783418#p1783418

That makes it even worse :eek:

He should have also copy/pasted the succinct response from @BlurryVII: "What the heck did I just read ?"

Implementing some sort of filter that automatically appends that response to any nonsensical post would save a lot of unnecessary replies and additional scrolling. ;)

Is the cost of hiring super domestiques really the limiting factor on team strength? Usually it seems there are so many competing factors including popularity and sponsor's nationality. Also doesn't AC always insist on bringing a few people he likes rather than 8 mercenaries and so it wouldn't necessarily matter how much money you had to sign support riders? Couldn't the case be made that many riders would be preferable to Peto Sagan on AC's super important (historic even?) tour squad and they would also be much much cheaper?

In the NFL salary caps are probably on their way out because the way it actually works is the caps are tied to revenue which contains costs but if you factor in the different tax rates for different states suddenly things get really unfair. Everyone has a cap rate of $143,280,000 per team but in California they are going to take 13.3% of that whereas several states have no such tax. This combined with higher cost of living in the higher taxed states actually translates to the same amount of money being worth significantly less and so the cap hurts the teams in the more wealthy regions.

Presumably this would be way way more complicated on the scale of european pro cycling.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Lol.. I see Old&slow's posts have already been deleted but I just wanted to say that I thought it was hilarious he basically 100% copy-pasted his own post from 2015 :D viewtopic.php?p=1783418#p1783418
They can delete and hide the truth and only allow delusional Contador fanboy posts. But the bottom line is Contador is a third tier rider. He has never been a Tour de France contending rider and never will be. As I said in my other posts his two TDF wins were against Leiphiemer Schleck and others who could never dream of a top 10 in a tour like this years or last years.

The fanboys and the media may want you to think Contador has a chance but he has no chance unless 10 riders better than him drop out. He is what he is and that is the equivalent of Bauke Mollema and that is where he will end up again this year fighting with Mollema, Barguil, Mientes and others for a top 5-10 placement. Maybe next year he can just focus on the Giro and/or Vuelta where he can ride against riders who are not as strong or in peak form and fool people into thinking he is a great rider. All he is and has ever been is hype. Wake up in 4 weeks and we will see the same thing we always see, Contador finishing close to 10 minutes down and this forum flooded with posts about how he should have won and of course will win again next year when this fantastic series of events magically transforms him into their version of Cinderella.

I am posting this here simply to give you the chance to tell me I told you so after the race. I could do the same thing I do every year and simply post this after Contador's glass falls off and he ends ups being who he is and that's a better than average rider but not a top tier rider that can contend for the TDF. My advice is start preparing the excuses now as you will need them in a few weeks.

Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:
They can delete and hide the truth and only allow delusional Contador fanboy posts. But the bottom line is Contador is a third tier rider. He has never been a Tour de France contending rider and never will be. As I said in my other posts his two TDF wins were against Leiphiemer Schleck and others who could never dream of a top 10 in a tour like this years or last years.

The fanboys and the media may want you to think Contador has a chance but he has no chance unless 10 riders better than him drop out. He is what he is and that is the equivalent of Bauke Mollema and that is where he will end up again this year fighting with Mollema, Barguil, Mientes and others for a top 5-10 placement. Maybe next year he can just focus on the Giro and/or Vuelta where he can ride against riders who are not as strong or in peak form and fool people into thinking he is a great rider. All he is and has ever been is hype. Wake up in 4 weeks and we will see the same thing we always see, Contador finishing close to 10 minutes down and this forum flooded with posts about how he should have won and of course will win again next year when this fantastic series of events magically transforms him into their version of Cinderella.

Want to do an avatar bet? I say AC finishes top 3 within 10 minutes of the winner. It seems you're saying at best he'll be 5th outside 10 minutes of the winner. Sound good? Please take me up on this avatar bet!

Also you say he's a third tier rider. Let's assume Froome and Quintana are the top tier. Can you name me all the 2nd tier riders who are better than him?

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site

Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

Troll ? The stuff written isn't even worth a response lol

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site

Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

Want to do an avatar bet? I say AC finishes top 3 within 10 minutes of the winner. It seems you're saying at best he'll be 5th outside 10 minutes of the winner. Sound good? Please take me up on this avatar bet!

Also you say he's a third tier rider. Let's assume Froome and Quintana are the top tier. Can you name me all the 2nd tier riders who are better than him?

The only thing I'd say here is podiums have never really floated Contador's boat, 2nd to him is as good as nowhere. He'll either be first or come anywhere in the top 10 trying

ad9898 said:
Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

The only thing I'd say here is podiums have never really floated Contador's boat, 2nd to him is as good as nowhere. He'll either be first or come anywhere in the top 10 trying

Maybe this post will encourage him to take me up on the avatar bet. Thanks!

ad9898 said:
Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

I must have missed whatever he was trying in 2013.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that you ask people to but their money, or reputation, where their mouth is. Commendable, and I agree. If only all those blessing the forum with their confident predictions where met with such a response.

Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

I am posting this here simply to give you the chance to tell me I told you so after the race. I could do the same thing I do every year and simply post this after Contador's glass falls off and he ends ups being who he is and that's a better than average rider but not a top tier rider that can contend for the TDF. My advice is start preparing the excuses now as you will need them in a few weeks.

I would be happy to make you an avatar bet that Contador does not finish in the top 3. He stands little to no chance.

In regards to 2nd tier riders there are Porte, Landa, Bardet, Valverde and if in form Nibali. Pinot, Van Garden, Aru, and Gesink would be stronger if in better form. Usually, there are a number of domestiques much stronger than Contador like in 2013 when Kreuziger and Porte were quite evidently stronger and Geraint Thomas in 2015. Then there are all the third tier riders about the same strength as Contador such as Martin, Barguil, Meintes, Fugslang, Van Den Broeck, Mollema, Mientes, Majka, Dupont who like Contador can contend for a top 10 spot if they raced and prepared.

Old&slow said:
Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

I would be happy to make you an avatar bet that Contador does not finish in the top 3. He stands little to no chance.

In regards to 2nd tier riders there are Porte, Landa, Bardet, Valverde and if in form Nibali. Pinot, Van Garden, Aru, and Gesink would be stronger if in better form. Usually, there are a number of domestiques much stronger than Contador like in 2013 when Kreuziger and Porte were quite evidently stronger and Geraint Thomas in 2015. Then there are all the third tier riders about the same strength as Contador such as Martin, Barguil, Meintes, Fugslang, Van Den Broeck, Mollema, Mientes, Majka, Dupont who like Contador can contend for a top 10 spot if they raced and prepared.
Mientes listed TWICE in the long list of riders better than AC. Pottery. Also I didn't even know who Hubert Dupont is until now. This might be the best post I've ever read.

Old&slow said:
Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

If only those amazing riders, who are by all means equal to or greater than Contador, would be as smart as him, to only target "lesser" GTs, where no-one else but Contador is in top form, they would surely each have some GT wins on their hands. And Contador would surely have 0 wins, maybe even no podiums. How foolish of those riders. :eek: :rolleyes:

Old&slow said:
Jspear said:
Old&slow said:
LaFlorecita said:

Alright I'm going to copy this group of post over to the avatar betting thread so we don't spam this thread.

You're 2nd paragraph is amazing. Thanks for the laugh.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
No point answering him, time will tell. July fans are out, AC's the underdog because of unrelevant previous editions, and there's no way you can trust his preperation for now, but if, if he gets it right and shows up in top form, countless mouths are gonna be shut.

TRENDING THREADS