• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1642 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

IMA

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
[quote="

That's relative. No guarantee that he would win either (or if he didn't work, then the break won't stick. so catch 22). The fact was he did it to try to win it outright. In a rest day interview with Contador, he expected Froome to do something on the next 6 stage, and I think, he would be there to tag along. So whoever takes advantage for the next stage, Contador is looking forward to support and take advantage of it. I'm sure this time is trying to get time on Quintana. So somewhat Froome or Chavez gotta do something.

Agreed with your post...but:

esteban-chaves.jpg

Chaves.

6a080a426bf1709805f403de0d3cb0f0_article.jpg

Chávez.

:D :D

:) ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
quite rightly,
he seems to be targetting the podium
hmmmm
"El objetivo no es el podio, es ganar, aunque está muy difícil. Nairo tiene un equipo potentisimo y tiene una diferencia muy grande. También hay corredores por delante de mí, pero voy a seguir dando todo lo que tengo en carrera y a ver cómo terminamos, pueden pasar mil cosas"
Actions speak louder than words. He's hardly known for telling the truth regarding his condition or tactical plans after all.

Oh come on. He needed as much time as possible on Froome, Chaves and Yates. All 3 were ahead of him and by quite some margin as well. It's not difficult: gain as much time as possible on the other challengers, try to gain time on Quintana another day. Focusing just on Quintana won't get him anywhere.
We'll have to agree to disagree I think. For me, this was the one opportunity to risk it all for the win. The race was chaotic and Movistar had to ride to distance Froome in that situation; Contador simply did too much and didn't force Movistar to do enough work earlier on the stage. A good move for the podium, not a good move for winning the race. Now Movistar don't have to do anything risky, the remaining stages are relatively easy to control and it's hard to see Tinkoff getting away and staying away from Movistar. I think that was the one opportunity to give himself a shot at winning, and he ended up losing 30 seconds to the race leader.

well, that's what happen when you are already lost time since the opening stage: "he has to do too much" as you put it. Movistar won't let him go for sure because they know what he did to Froome. But I think Sky is going to make Movistar works so hard or Froome will do something to make Quintana comes out and play. Either way, I hope Contador has a good form to capitalize on it. (dunno whether he can, since his form wasn't that stellar either. Every time he followed Froome or Quintana, he ended up in the red).

I think that Contador very much wants a podium, though he would go for the win given even a remote chance. Unfortuanately I'm not sure if the remaining stages are very conducive for an ambush. Sure there are mountains, but look at where they are placed. We have an interesting stage 17 on the menu, but it comes after a rest day. Not going to be so easy to ambush Sky (and Moviestar for that matter) after that. The only other stage for a crazy early attack is stage 20, and that comes after an ITT, which is effectively another rest day for all Sky and Moviestar domestiques. So the victory is really impossible, unless Quintana cracks badly. The best that Contador and Tinkoff can do is to make the final mountain stages hard, so keep the pace pretty high from the start, so that any weakness will eventually show itself anyway.

But I can't see an 100km out attack working. Well....if Froome and some Sky domestiques get away with him....it's possible. But generally speaking Contador should be aiming for second place. He might even be able to beat Froome in the ITT.

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
quite rightly,
he seems to be targetting the podium
hmmmm
"El objetivo no es el podio, es ganar, aunque está muy difícil. Nairo tiene un equipo potentisimo y tiene una diferencia muy grande. También hay corredores por delante de mí, pero voy a seguir dando todo lo que tengo en carrera y a ver cómo terminamos, pueden pasar mil cosas"
Actions speak louder than words. He's hardly known for telling the truth regarding his condition or tactical plans after all.

Oh come on. He needed as much time as possible on Froome, Chaves and Yates. All 3 were ahead of him and by quite some margin as well. It's not difficult: gain as much time as possible on the other challengers, try to gain time on Quintana another day. Focusing just on Quintana won't get him anywhere.
We'll have to agree to disagree I think. For me, this was the one opportunity to risk it all for the win. The race was chaotic and Movistar had to ride to distance Froome in that situation; Contador simply did too much and didn't force Movistar to do enough work earlier on the stage. A good move for the podium, not a good move for winning the race. Now Movistar don't have to do anything risky, the remaining stages are relatively easy to control and it's hard to see Tinkoff getting away and staying away from Movistar. I think that was the one opportunity to give himself a shot at winning, and he ended up losing 30 seconds to the race leader.

Being so far down the GC on time he had to take what he could get and he got big time back on Froome and Chaves. With Quintana in the break how was he going to distance Quintana ? If he does a good TT the break has been worth it. He had no hope of winning the race on that day but he consolidated his chances of a podium. Considering how bad his first week was, he would have to be happy with that.

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
I think that Contador very much wants a podium, though he would go for the win given even a remote chance. Unfortuanately I'm not sure if the remaining stages are very conducive for an ambush. Sure there are mountains, but look at where they are placed. We have an interesting stage 17 on the menu, but it comes after a rest day. Not going to be so easy to ambush Sky (and Moviestar for that matter) after that. The only other stage for a crazy early attack is stage 20, and that comes after an ITT, which is effectively another rest day for all Sky and Moviestar domestiques. So the victory is really impossible, unless Quintana cracks badly. The best that Contador and Tinkoff can do is to make the final mountain stages hard, so keep the pace pretty high from the start, so that any weakness will eventually show itself anyway.

But I can't see an 100km out attack working. Well....if Froome and some Sky domestiques get away with him....it's possible. But generally speaking Contador should be aiming for second place. He might even be able to beat Froome in the ITT.

Contador should be able to finish on the podium simply because of the TT. It will probably depend on how Chaves goes in the TT and whether he can out climb Contador this week. There has to be some doubt about Froome as well but with Froome sometimes he can bounce back.

I don't think Movistar & Tinkoff will do anything other than form an agreed alliance today to protect Quintana's buffer over Froome and limit/prevent Chaves gaining the time he needs over Contador for the TT to keep his 3rd. The interest for me today is what sort of alliance (if any) forms between Orica & Sky. I don't think Froome can get back the minute or two he needs without Orica as BMC are a little too far down GC with Sanchez needing over 2 minutes to leapfrog Chaves & Yates.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't see an alliance between Froome and Contador. Froome has shown a lack of respect for AC sometimes as if he wants to drive in the nail. Although this is business, so anything can happen.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

jilbiker said:
I don't see an alliance between Froome and Contador. Froome has shown a lack of respect for AC sometimes as if he wants to drive in the nail. Although this is business, so anything can happen.
link?

Tinkoff & Movistar are perfectly spaced enough apart on GC to form an alliance. Contador needs Quintana much more than he needs Froome.
Froome & Contador alwasys seem very respectful to one anoother though so you never know what's discussed behind closed doors but like with Astana & Tinkoff there's a little bit of team history and hate between Tinkoff and Sky, so it always has an effect, just like Astana pulling 'seemingly' for Froome on stage 15 wasn't what it seemed. That was simply pure hate for Tinkoff from Astana if you ask me and Scarponi races much like Contador with never give up attitude. Scarponi could surprise everyone still I feel.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
jilbiker said:
I agree, I don't see it happening either, but who knows
When did Froome do any of that?

MacBAir said:
LaFlorecita said:
jilbiker said:
I don't know if it is a definite lack of respect but for sure it often seems as though he wants to "drive in the nail" as jilbiker says.

Of course, one could consider some of the things Froome wrote about Contador in Mein Climb to be quite disrespectful.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
MacBAir said:
LaFlorecita said:
jilbiker said:
I don't know if it is a definite lack of respect but for sure it often seems as though he wants to "drive in the nail" as jilbiker says.

Of course, one could consider some of the things Froome wrote about Contador in Mein Climb to be quite disrespectful.
When? Some examples?
What things?

MacBAir said:
LaFlorecita said:
MacBAir said:
LaFlorecita said:
jilbiker said:

When? Some examples?
What things?

Coffee anyone?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jilbiker said:

it's probably not an alliance but rather than "tag along." 2014 Vuelta when Contador couldn't drop Purito and Valverde, Tinkoff had expected that Froome would attack. If that happened they would follow him (remember reading Bjarne's interview). It was exactly what happened. Froome attacked and distanced Purito & Valverde. Then Contador dropped Froome near the summit.

Fast forward 2 years later, the difference is.. Contador doesn't have the fitness to drop Froome. So if Froome ends up attacking Quintana, he can't use Froome to drop Quintana then drop Froome, instead, he will get dropped by both of them.. most likely. :lol:

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Jelantik said:
jilbiker said:

it's probably not an alliance but rather than "tag along." 2014 Vuelta when Contador couldn't drop Purito and Valverde, Tinkoff had expected that Froome would attack. If that happened they would follow him (remember reading Bjarne's interview). It was exactly what happened. Froome attacked and distanced Purito & Valverde. Then Contador dropped Froome near the summit.

Fast forward 2 years later, the difference is.. Contador doesn't have the fitness to drop Froome. So if Froome ends up attacking Quintana, he can't use Froome to drop Quintana then drop Froome, instead, he will get dropped by both of them.. most likely. :lol:

That is so funny... :lol: .....sad, but still funny

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
@LaFlorecita can you answer, please? I'm genuinely interested.

In fact, I'm starting to suspect that most of those claims don't have any basis on reality. It helps to explain the aura of this thread. Just extreme fanboyism and blind hate against superior cyclists.

TRENDING THREADS