• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1679 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

It would have been way more of a headline if Nico Roche actually did write Contador off. "Wouldn't write him off" is on the same political correctness level as "the Abu Dhabi Tour is a big and prestigious race".

gregrowlerson said:
8 top 5 stage race finishers in a year!

I can only ever wish that Kloden could have done that in his best year :D

He more than made up for it in aestethics. :cool:

Squire said:
It would have been way more of a headline if Nico Roche actually did write Contador off. "Wouldn't write him off" is on the same political correctness level as "the Abu Dhabi Tour is a big and prestigious race".

gregrowlerson said:
8 top 5 stage race finishers in a year!

I can only ever wish that Kloden could have done that in his best year :D

He more than made up for it in aestethics. :cool:

Well from 2001-03 he was certainly just at Team Telekom for his good looks :p

Contador's recent exploits in that "big and prestigious race" probably better all of what Klodi achieved for those entire three years :lol:

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Berto in 2016
3rd Volta ao Algarve + 1 stage
2nd Paris-Nice
2nd Volta a Catalunya
1st Vuelta al Pais Basco + 1 stage
5th Dauphiné + 1 stage
1st Vuelta a Burgos
4th Vuelta a España
5th Tour of Abu Dhabi

Not so bad after all ;)

And this doesn't even give him credit for the way he was racing it. Maybe he should take it more easy in the spring.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Berto in 2016
2nd Paris-Nice
2nd Volta a Catalunya
5th Dauphiné + 1 stage
1st Vuelta a Burgos
4th Vuelta a España
5th Tour of Abu Dhabi

Not so bad after all ;)

Yep pretty good, most riders would take that season, but the big omission for a guy like Contador is no podium in a grand tour which I am sure irritates him.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Berto in 2016
2nd Paris-Nice
2nd Volta a Catalunya
5th Dauphiné + 1 stage
1st Vuelta a Burgos
4th Vuelta a España
5th Tour of Abu Dhabi

Not so bad after all ;)
I'm pretty sure thats not how to write it in spanish, maybe I'm wrong though :D

Anyway, you are absolutely right after his desasterous gt campaign one can easily forget how great his spring was.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
CvZuypAWAAEQbC3.jpg

Very tranquilo both Berto and Nibs. Time for a holiday

Look at Bernard in the background doing his best Mollema impression :D

Never to be seen again in those kits. Berto is really fat, Nibs looks full of pizzas. Hope to see both back next year in winning shape.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
CvZuypAWAAEQbC3.jpg

Very tranquilo both Berto and Nibs. Time for a holiday

Look at Bernard in the background doing his best Mollema impression :D

Never to be seen again in those kits. Berto is really fat, Nibs looks full of pizzas. Hope to see both back next year in winning shape.

Nibs recently posted a picture of him eating a pizza on twitter/facebook. I told him to not do it. :lol:

Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Berto in 2016
2nd Paris-Nice
2nd Volta a Catalunya
5th Dauphiné + 1 stage
1st Vuelta a Burgos
4th Vuelta a España
5th Tour of Abu Dhabi

Not so bad after all ;)
I'm pretty sure thats not how to write it in spanish, maybe I'm wrong though :D

Anyway, you are absolutely right after his desasterous gt campaign one can easily forget how great his spring was.
You're right, that's for sure a typo :D fat fingers

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Ride the giro too man, you had your chance to win the tour in 2014. It's over

For the sake of cycling all the greats should ride this Giro.
- it's the Giro
- it's the Centenario
- it's all of them on a level playing field

- and for the cream on the cake: we will have, for the first time in many many years, a Tour de France really worth the myth it's been given. The big battle for revenge.

Now written those things knowing that it probably won't happen I'm already getting frustrated. Cannot wait to smash the Etna myself in february. HUEVOS BERTO.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Tinkoff bike Academy?So Berto start to train'' how to stay on bike''.Very good first block of training for 2017 and Oleg is bike instructor.

Re: El Pistolero - Story on the brilliance of Alberto Contad

07collian said:
Bit of a long read but I found it super enjoyable.

http://theballpoint.org/index.php/2016/11/05/el-pistolero/

First two paragraphs

Six kilometres from the finish line, Frank Schleck launches an acceleration. It’s a just a short, exploratory jab, a “How are the legs today boys?” kind of inquiry. Bertie was the first to respond, straight on to his back wheel, followed by Lance, Andy & Wiggo. They were all back together again. Frank Schleck, Andy Schleck, Bradley Wiggins, Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador. The crème-de-la-crème of this year’s Tour, the five men who would make up the top five at the end of this 3,459.5 kilometre odyssey.

The ploy from the Schleck brothers was as old as the sport itself, the classic one-two. As Contador would chase down one brother the other one would go, and they would continue inflicting this pain until Bertie would be too exhausted to respond to one of their accelerations. But today was not the day. With 5.6 kilometres to go, Contador looked at the faces of his four adversaries. It wasn’t quite as dramatic as what is simply now known as “The Look”, immortalized in 2001 on the slopes of the most iconic climb in cycling, Alpe d’Huez, but it was intimidating never the less.
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing :)

07collian said:

First two paragraphs

Six kilometres from the finish line, Frank Schleck launches an acceleration. It’s a just a short, exploratory jab, a “How are the legs today boys?” kind of inquiry. Bertie was the first to respond, straight on to his back wheel, followed by Lance, Andy & Wiggo. They were all back together again. Frank Schleck, Andy Schleck, Bradley Wiggins, Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador. The crème-de-la-crème of this year’s Tour, the five men who would make up the top five at the end of this 3,459.5 kilometre odyssey.

The ploy from the Schleck brothers was as old as the sport itself, the classic one-two. As Contador would chase down one brother the other one would go, and they would continue inflicting this pain until Bertie would be too exhausted to respond to one of their accelerations. But today was not the day. With 5.6 kilometres to go, Contador looked at the faces of his four adversaries. It wasn’t quite as dramatic as what is simply now known as “The Look”, immortalized in 2001 on the slopes of the most iconic climb in cycling, Alpe d’Huez, but it was intimidating never the less.
Cool story... :)

07collian said:

First two paragraphs

I walked up the entire Verbier ascent last year (one of the better experiences of my life) and found that at the very point of Alberto's unanswerable attack, there is this tribute on the stone wall:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13221506_10154886473220752_27336787299686929_n.jpg?oh=ce93c9ffc6811eb67df0de01775e003e&oe=58CE0B96

TRENDING THREADS