• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1707 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's really interesting to me that many people feel Contador's acceleration was bad last year. I see it repeated over and over again. Yet, last year, we were raving about his explosive attacks, saying he'd found his old turn of pace again. I remember that a poster wrote after seeing his attack on the last stage of Paris-Nice, "another one of those super explosive attacks", or something in that regard. In my memory he was definitely much more explosive than in 2015. In fact, from what I've seen so far, he does not seem as explosive this season. For example his attacks at the Ruta del Sol, he didn't immediately snap the elastic but rather rode away from everyone pushing a high pace, with riders falling away behind him. Maybe it's because it was a steep climb, but that's my impression. Either way, he definitely wasn't "un-explosive" last year. I guess the second half of 2016 really clouds people's memories.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Red Rick said:
I may be imagining, but I think he's riding a slightly smaller gear, and stands on the pedals a bit less. His biceps look a bit smaller too.

His biceps?! Some of the things you all "notice". :p
I hadn't noticed that. He's never had a whole lot of muscle anywhere, really. His biceps don't seem smaller than usual to me.
However, I did notice he was riding in the saddle a lot in Ruta del Sol. Maybe it's part of his training. He definitely still prefers the out-of-the-saddle technique because you can see he switches to that when he needs to go faster. It was very obvious when Pinot was chasing him down.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
In 2015 he attempted giro-tour and he was very explosive in abetone, he blew the peloton in pieces, even aru struggled a lot to come to his wheel. But he crashed the day after and he got injured in his shoulder. I truly beleive he would have destroyed landa and aru if it wasn't that crash.

Re:

portugal11 said:
In 2015 he attempted giro-tour and he was very explosive in abetone, he blew the peloton in pieces, even aru struggled a lot to come to his wheel. But he crashed the day after and he got injured in his shoulder. I truly beleive he would have destroyed landa and aru if it wasn't that crash.
Assuming that AC at 80-90% had been able to easily destroy Landa and Aru, we can almost be assured he could have made the giro-tour double if there hadn't been that ill-fated crash.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

dacooley said:
portugal11 said:
Assuming that AC at 80-90% had been able to easily destroy Landa and Aru, we can almost be assured he could have made the giro-tour double if there hadn't been that ill-fated crash.
I didn't say that... quintana and froome are way better gc riders than aru and landa

portugal11 said:
dacooley said:
portugal11 said:
I didn't say that... quintana and froome are way better gc riders than aru and landa
that's for sure, but both landa and aru delivered a very decent climbing in that giro. honestly I don't see AC riding in energy-saving mode being able to destroy them.

"At the end of the day, I decided to come to this race at the last minute. When we decided to come here it was to gather speed. I had a training camp lined up between Andalucia and Paris Nice, but we swapped it for this race to get the speed in the legs. And that's what we've done," said Contador.

"The truth is the sensations were good. Coming almost straight from Ruta, with the travel and the time changes, I wasn't sure how it was going to go, but I've felt very good."

From CN article.

Contador on Abu Dhabi first two stages..

“Estoy contento con la temporada, aunque estos días han sido, quizás, demasiado tranquilos. Los dos primeros días, si hubiéramos ido un poco más rápidos hubiera sido mejor para entrenar”.
I'm happy with the season, but these days have been, perhaps, a bit too calm. The two first days, if we had gone a bit faster it would have been better training for me.

I'm slightly surprised that this isn't exactly what he was expecting from two flat, short stages in a peloton full of climbers and sprinters.

Re:

DFA123 said:

“Estoy contento con la temporada, aunque estos días han sido, quizás, demasiado tranquilos. Los dos primeros días, si hubiéramos ido un poco más rápidos hubiera sido mejor para entrenar”.
I'm happy with the season, but these days have been, perhaps, a bit too calm. The two first days, if we had gone a bit faster it would have been better training for me.

I'm slightly surprised that this isn't exactly what he was expecting from two flat, short stages in a peloton full of climbers and sprinters.
The frantic chase on stage 1 must have been good speed training :)

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:

The frantic chase on stage 1 must have been good speed training :)
Yeah, that must have been a nice little interval! Maybe he could try and get in the break tomorrow, nothing to lose now regarding GC. I'd like to see the faces of whichever Bardiani and Bahrain riders are there, when they look around and see Contador has bridged across.

Re:

DFA123 said:

Yeah, well, thats racing on a completely flat course in the desert for you in a warmup race.

He said he was working for Mollema and that's what he did, by covering Quintana and snuffing out his accelerations. It's a pitty, though, when a champion isn't racing for the win, but the team stratagy was what it was. Seems he and the team wanted to gauge Nairo's form and capacity and only if Quintana had been able to make the difference would the tactics have changed to allow for a different result. Sei la vie. Still, even if clearly AC was up for the game, there's no way of telling his actual form. Although an attack following Nairo's probably would have made a real selection, thus eliminating any opportunity for the likes of Rui Costa, Zakarin and Dumoulin going from that far out. (On a side note, given the roles on the road, it's Mollema's failure that he didn't go with Rui Costa and Zakarin. Sleeping? Bad legs?) Those guys were able to escape because the sparing between Quintana and AC effectively neutralized the race and made the selection come from the back, as opposed to the front as they say. The problem of course was that Nairo couldn't make the difference against this field on that climb, as I predicted up thread. Consequently nobody can be sure if the competition has gotten stronger or the "bigs" weaker. Actually it was just the way the stage was raced in the early season, when more possibilities and full tanks make for less script based outcomes.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Paris nice will start in 7 days. I still think that contador shouldn't have started abu dhabi. Porte is very strong in one week races, and that time trial on brouilly will be crucial. The winner of that time trial will be the gc winner

I suppose there is a high chance Col de la Couillole will get cancelled due to snow, but if it isn't cancelled then anything can happen there, it's a really tough climb. The ITT will have a big impact on the GC obviously but if they race Couillole, the best climber will win the race.

And it has Col Saint Martin before Couilloule:
SaintMartinE.gif

That is the stage I am waiting about Contador to see his form totally.

TRENDING THREADS