• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1740 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Explosiveness this, explosiveness that. It's not Mur de Huy. It's a good 9-10 minute effort at those gradients, peak power output matters little. You could argue that it fits a less explosive rider as you don't need big accelerations to put the hurt on.

But yeah, Contador vs Valverde vs Roglic it seems. I don't see how Kwiat can do better than Roglic.

Re:

TheYouyou7 said:
Do some people have a profile of that climb ?
CfNNKJgW4AAPNuu.jpg

I think it was climbed last year, but not at the end of the stage.

More than that. Won Les Gets in 11.36 which was 3,9 km at 9,7%. So I'd say 13-14 minutes for this climb. If you are strong, there's much more room to drop your opponents than the regular Arrate. I don't understand the talk about the climb not suiting Contador either.. its pretty nonsensical IMO.

Its an effort similar to that time trial in Dauphine that he won, only a bit more irregular than that and at the end of a stage. Its better than the regular Arrate stage if he is the strongest

Re: Re:

the asian said:
LaFlorecita said:
the asian said:
That's cool. He's going to be second in the Tour this year.
I don't care for 2nd at the Tour and definitely not 2nd after Froome :exclaim:

He's not going to finish 2nd after Froome. Froome winning again would be a disaster.

Contador may not see it that way after his Tour drought and some disasters it seems are inevitable..............

movingtarget said:
the asian said:
LaFlorecita said:
the asian said:
That's cool. He's going to be second in the Tour this year.
I don't care for 2nd at the Tour and definitely not 2nd after Froome :exclaim:

He's not going to finish 2nd after Froome. Froome winning again would be a disaster.

Contador may not see it that way after his Tour drought and some disasters it seems are inevitable..............
i'm guessing 4th froome tour win may have casted doubt on bertie being #1 gc rider of the last decade for some people is what has been implied. I don't think it will even if AC doesn't win the tour.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
More than that. Won Les Gets in 11.36 which was 3,9 km at 9,7%. So I'd say 13-14 minutes for this climb. If you are strong, there's much more room to drop your opponents than the regular Arrate. I don't understand the talk about the climb not suiting Contador either.. its pretty nonsensical IMO.

Its an effort similar to that time trial in Dauphine that he won, only a bit more irregular than that and at the end of a stage. Its better than the regular Arrate stage if he is the strongest
I'm not expecting him to be the strongest and this is worse for keeping the wheel of your rivals. He'll inevitably explode.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
You people do know Chaves and the Izagirre brothers are riding PV .....all this talk of Roglic ? and Kwait is carrying too much weight to be top climber...SKY are all in for Henao .Also thera few other swho could come good

But with his form its hard to see Valverde being beaten
Chaves will lose ages in the TT. Roglic can limit the damage uphill and win the TT by a mile.
Of course there are like 20 riders that could win the race under the right circumstances, I'm just trying to point out the biggest favorites.

"We knew it was an opportunity, both yesterday and today," said Pantano. "Unfortunately yesterday I could not be in the first group, but today went much better. The end of the race was very fast and was quite hard. Thanks to Alberto, who helped me pull in the end, that we were close to the victory.

"I feel super; the sensations are quite good. I never thought that Alberto was the person he is, but it is very good to have him as a teammate, he is a great professional and a great person. He fills you with confidence, and I am very happy to work for him. I am happy to be here and to put a grain of sand for Alberto."

Re:

DFA123 said:
What's Porte doing in 5th?! Winning an incredibly weak TDU and failing spectacularly in the overall for Paris-Nice gives you the same points as winning Strade Bianche and Milan San-Remo?! Ridiculous :eek:
Yes, especially because the TDU has been upgraded and now offers the same points as for example Paris-Nice and Tirreno. Meanwhile Pais Vasco has been downgraded :eek:

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
"We knew it was an opportunity, both yesterday and today," said Pantano. "Unfortunately yesterday I could not be in the first group, but today went much better. The end of the race was very fast and was quite hard. Thanks to Alberto, who helped me pull in the end, that we were close to the victory.

"I feel super; the sensations are quite good. I never thought that Alberto was the person he is, but it is very good to have him as a teammate, he is a great professional and a great person. He fills you with confidence, and I am very happy to work for him. I am happy to be here and to put a grain of sand for Alberto."

Nice. Would love to see AC work for Pantano to get a win.

(Would also love to see AC get to lift his arms in victory again too)

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
What's Porte doing in 5th?! Winning an incredibly weak TDU and failing spectacularly in the overall for Paris-Nice gives you the same points as winning Strade Bianche and Milan San-Remo?! Ridiculous :eek:
Yes, especially because the TDU has been upgraded and now offers the same points as for example Paris-Nice and Tirreno. Meanwhile Pais Vasco has been downgraded :eek:
I didn't know that. That's outrageous :eek:.

Cance > TheRest said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:

Also Quebec and Montreal are worth 500 points each, which is the same number of WT points you get for winning at Roubaix

PremierAndrew said:
Cance > TheRest said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:

Also Quebec and Montreal are worth 500 points each, which is the same number of WT points you get for winning at Roubaix

The points system is insulting to the events that have been a foundation of the sport's history. TDU really is not worthy of equal points to Paris-Nice and Tirreno. Only the Australians show up there in anything resembling excellent form. The fact that it is so early in the season it should be understood that rarely are anyone actually focusing on it as a goal. The Quebec and Montreal races at least have riders that have developed their form over the course of the season, plus they have shown to be entertaining events. Still let these events earn equal billing, don't just hand it to them on a platter.

LaFlorecita said:

He pulled for Pantano who has a sprint :). These 2 will work well together I think!

LaFlorecita said:

Great to read. I'm curious how his relationship is with others (Cardoso, Mollema, Felline)....

Re:

DFA123 said:

I am an Australian and I am disgusted with that (TDU being ranked alongside P-N). It would be like athletics suddenly ranking a meeting in Melbourne in February with a meeting in Zurich.

And how is Valverde not in the top ten :confused:

gregrowlerson said:
DFA123 said:

I am an Australian and I am disgusted with that (TDU being ranked alongside P-N). It would be like athletics suddenly ranking a meeting in Melbourne in February with a meeting in Zurich.

And how is Valverde not in the top ten :confused:
Valverde isn't in the top-10 because he hasn't raced many WT event.

TRENDING THREADS