• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1751 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

kobee said:
Someone seems pretty upset that Contador is widely recognized as the best stage/gt rider of all time. .

:confused: :confused: :confused: was that ment to be a belated April Fool's?

I mean I would place Contador in the top tier of GT riders, but there were a few which have been very clearly above his level ... just to name a some (in alphabetic order): Anquetil, Bartali, Binda, Bobet, Coppi, Gaul, Gimondi, Indurain, Hinault, Merckx ....

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
This hurts so much. I'm so bitter. Could have entered history with a 5th win instead he finishes 2nd again, no one remembers a 2nd place
He has so many 2nd places in the last few years :eek:
Doesn't hurt as much as Paris-Nice though, I couldn't sleep for one week after that

if you would fancy Peter Sagan you would need a treatment for insomnia :cool: ...

Re: Re:

loge1884 said:
LaFlorecita said:
This hurts so much. I'm so bitter. Could have entered history with a 5th win instead he finishes 2nd again, no one remembers a 2nd place
Doesn't hurt as much as Paris-Nice though, I couldn't sleep for one week after that

if you would fancy Peter Sagan you would need a treatment for insomnia :cool: ...
Probably could do with an eye test as well.

loge1884 said:
kobee said:
Someone seems pretty upset that Contador is widely recognized as the best stage/gt rider of all time. .

I mean I would place Contador in the top tier of GT riders, but there were a few which have been very clearly above his level ... just to name a some (in alphabetic order): Anquetil, Bartali, Binda, Bobet, Coppi, Gaul, Gimondi, Indurain, Hinault, Merckx ....

It's pointless to make judgements between generations, BUT the sport is much more globalized now. The level so much higher that it is difficult to imagine the legends of the past performing as well today.

DFA123 said:
loge1884 said:
LaFlorecita said:

Probably could do with an eye test as well.
:confused:

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

rhubroma said:
loge1884 said:
kobee said:

It's pointless to make judgements between generations, BUT the sport is much more globalized now. The level so much higher that it is difficult to imagine the legends of the past performing as well today.

agree with you ... but then one should also abstain from claiming "best of all time" ....
in my book he still is the best GT rider of the 21st Century (the Texan not being part of the contest), but could be surpassed if Chris Froome wins the TdF this year ...

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

Not many will remember this 2nd place, but he's last two Paris-Nice's will go down in our memory banks as epic efforts of the highest order.

"Sometimes when you lose you actually win." (White Men Can't Jump)

gregrowlerson said:
LaFlorecita said:

Not many will remember this 2nd place, but he's last two Paris-Nice's will go down in our memory banks as epic efforts of the highest order.

Really, only the people who watched might remember those performances in 20 years, no one remembers 2nd place, it's worth nothing at all. No place in the history books of cycling for 2nd.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Bad pacing, getting badly out-roulered or a combination? I thought he was in pole after that intermediate.
Bad pacing is 100% certain. Can't exclude the other one for certain. The crash from thursday can't have helped but the effect is impossible to quantify.
If he hurt his shoulder, then riding in a TT position cannot have been too pleasant. But yeah, probably also didn't pace himself right - he also lost a lot of time to Quintana in the last part of the Pais Vasco TT last year after he'd set a dominant first intermediate time at the top of the climb (Part of that was also due to a very careful descent and Nairo changing bike).

LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
In that interview he seemed fine, smiling throughout. Of course I couldn't understand a word. But his demeanor said he was just fine.
Didn't see his interview because Eurosport switched to MotoGP
He must be dying inside though

He seemed qenuinely happy, I can tell when he's faking it. I think he felt he did everything he could and was beaten. That is much easier to handle than losing by 2 seconds......

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Bad pacing, getting badly out-roulered or a combination? I thought he was in pole after that intermediate.
Bad pacing is 100% certain. Can't exclude the other one for certain. The crash from thursday can't have helped but the effect is impossible to quantify.
I just don't know how such a good and experience rider can do that over and over again..

But I'd also say that Valverde at this point is a better rouleur than him, the older Contador has gotten more he has gotten a 'pure' climber.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
gregrowlerson said:
LaFlorecita said:

Really, only the people who watched might remember those performances in 20 years, no one remembers 2nd place, it's worth nothing at all. No place in the history books of cycling for 2nd.

Poulidor begs to disagree.

He's the exception that proves the rule though.

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
In that interview he seemed fine, smiling throughout. Of course I couldn't understand a word. But his demeanor said he was just fine.
Didn't see his interview because Eurosport switched to MotoGP
He must be dying inside though

He seemed qenuinely happy, I can tell when he's faking it. I think he felt he did everything he could and was beaten. That is much easier to handle than losing by 2 seconds......
I didn't see it so really don't know, but I find it hard to believe he is happy after losing yet again, and to Valverde no less.
Maybe he's just happy to leave this horrible start of the season behind and go on vacation.

TRENDING THREADS