• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1752 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
To me it looked like he lost a lot of time because of very conservative cornering, but it's understandable that he wanted to play it save after crashing every other day.

Re: Re:

loge1884 said:
rhubroma said:
loge1884 said:
kobee said:
Someone seems pretty upset that Contador is widely recognized as the best stage/gt rider of all time. .

:confused: :confused: :confused: was that ment to be a belated April Fool's?

I mean I would place Contador in the top tier of GT riders, but there were a few which have been very clearly above his level ... just to name a some (in alphabetic order): Anquetil, Bartali, Binda, Bobet, Coppi, Gaul, Gimondi, Indurain, Hinault, Merckx ....

It's pointless to make judgements between generations, BUT the sport is much more globalized now. The level so much higher that it is difficult to imagine the legends of the past performing as well today.

agree with you ... but then one should also abstain from claiming "best of all time" ....
in my book he still is the best GT rider of the 21st Century (the Texan not being part of the contest), but could be surpassed if Chris Froome wins the TdF this year ...

I've lost interest in such awards anyway.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

gregrowlerson said:
El Pistolero said:
Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
I need to take up boxing to get rid of all this built up frustration.

Try some yoga or tai chi :).

Or a boyfriend. :lol:

No, not unless Contador is available.

And no guy could ever compete with Alberto as a boyfriend. He ALWAYS finishers second ;)

Nice one, wish we could like posts on this forum.

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

gregrowlerson said:
El Pistolero said:
Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:

Try some yoga or tai chi :).

Or a boyfriend. :lol:

No, not unless Contador is available.

And no guy could ever compete with Alberto as a boyfriend. He ALWAYS finishers second ;)

you'd have to ask his wife ..... (personally I wouldn't dare ... a lady named Macarena brings images of either sweaty dancing or rolling pins to my mind ...)

rolleyes.gif

They are basically applauding Contador for making 'our victories bigger', referring to the times Valverde has beaten Contador, suggesting that it means more when he is beating a rider of his calibre. I can't see why and how that should result in rolling-eyes smileys - on the other hand it seems to be hard to say anything in here not resulting in just that.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
They are basically applauding Contador for making 'our victories bigger', referring to the times Valverde has beaten Contador, suggesting that it means more when he is beating a rider of his calibre. I can't see why and how that should result in rolling-eyes smileys - on the other hand it seems to be hard to say anything in here not resulting in just that.
Yep, it was clearly a magnanimous gesture by Movistar and obviously meant as a compliment. You would think some of Contador's fans would have had enough practice of their hero finishing 2nd to accept it graciously.

In contrast, Contador himself appeared very content with his performance and was congratulating towards Valverde. I think he enjoys this rivalry more than his one with Froome, because it's not such a one-way street and they've known each other for so long that the mind games are more entertaining between them.

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yep, it was clearly a magnanimous gesture by Movistar and obviously meant as a compliment. You would think some of Contador's fans would have had enough practice of their hero finishing 2nd to accept it graciously.

In contrast, Contador himself appeared very content with his performance and was congratulating towards Valverde. I think he enjoys this rivalry more than his one with Froome, because it's not such a one-way street and they've known each other for so long that the mind games are more entertaining between them.

Contador is a stand up guy and a professional. Of course he's going to congratulate and show good sportsmanship. That said, I highly doubt he's "content" with his performance. He's a very competitive dude - who wants to finish 2nd for the umpteenth time....

rick james said:
silvergrenade said:
the asian said:
LaFlorecita said:

What about having Froome as the Opponent :D

Froome has already displayed his Sumo Wrestling and punching skills. BEWARE!! :lol: :lol:
obsessed with he Dawg :lol: ...i'm sure the dawg isn't losing any sleep over Bertie

Nope. Not anymore than Lance was over, say, Ullrich.

Jspear said:
rick james said:
silvergrenade said:
the asian said:
LaFlorecita said:

What about having Froome as the Opponent :D

Froome has already displayed his Sumo Wrestling and punching skills. BEWARE!! :lol: :lol:
obsessed with he Dawg :lol: ...i'm sure the dawg isn't losing any sleep over Bertie

Nope. Not anymore than Lance was over, say, Ullrich.
I wasn't talking to you

DFA123 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Maybe my dislike for Movistar and Piti is clouding my judgement, but to me it looks like they're just trying to rub it in. Do you think Contador cares that he made Piti's wins bigger? Do you think he likes it? Of course not, Movistar know this as well, so why even post it. They should keep such musings to themselves.

As for Contador, of course he isn't "content" but he is always classy in defeat.

Re:

KyoGrey said:
Never understood that some Contador fans despise Valverde. Greatness recognises greatness, and better than being fan of one of them is being fan of both champs!!!
I dislike him mainly because he seems quite arrogant and seems to dislike and disrespect Berto. I'm not a fan of his style of racing, but for me that's not a reason to dislike a rider. I like Gerrans, for example. It's all about the personality. A very exciting rider is easier to like though.

TRENDING THREADS