• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1759 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
We usually like to simplify the way we look at public persons, and classify them in ways that we can to put them into boxes. We all like to focus on the stuff we love and ignore the stuff we don't like about athletes we adore and do vice versa on athletes we don't like.

From an inside source (ex-pro Baden Cooke) from his cyclingnews Cycling Dream Team:

"Alberto was someone who really impressed me immensely. In team meetings for example, he would really take charge and go around the room, pointing out to each rider what he was expecting of him, what they did or didn't do right the day before. He really put a lot of pressure on his teammates, but in a good way. He was probably the best leader I've ridden for in the way he conducted himself. He was just a ferocious competitor, never say die and just hard. Despite all his talent, he's just hard. I think he can go to the next level, he's extremely impressive. It certainly makes you go deeper when he's sitting on your wheel and you're drilling it for him. It makes you go that little bit further, that little bit deeper because it's probably going to blow everyone's doors off and put him in a better spot. It's really motivating."

He also mentioned Contador when evaluating his choice of Fabian Cancellara in his Dream Team:
"As leader, Contador rallies the troops more with people buying into it..."
"Contador knows he's ready and his priority is getting everybody else up to his level..."

Edit: Added in the Contador reference from Cooke's evaluation of his choice of Cancellara in his dream team.

OK, what's going on with Alberto? I cannot even recognize him on this pic !!?

18011520_783353828492377_5332686748252110848_n.jpg

I hope he is not losing too much moivation :eek:

Re:

dusty red roads said:
Tinkov began his public trashing of Contador after he didn't ride Lombardia last year due to illness. He's still pissed he lost any chance at winning the No1 team spot on the world tour (to achieve that, apparently he wanted or needed Contador to get some kind of top-ish placement in that race). You would have thought he'd have moved on from that by now, but it appears not. Possibly doesn't believe him...
Whatever the case I imagine he was probably pretty exhausted after having just finished racing one-and-a-bit grand tours with continual injury to ride a race he normally doesn't ride.
Can't be true, some are saying it was wife swapping gone bad.

Re: Re:

rick james said:
dusty red roads said:
Tinkov began his public trashing of Contador after he didn't ride Lombardia last year due to illness. He's still pissed he lost any chance at winning the No1 team spot on the world tour (to achieve that, apparently he wanted or needed Contador to get some kind of top-ish placement in that race). You would have thought he'd have moved on from that by now, but it appears not. Possibly doesn't believe him...
Whatever the case I imagine he was probably pretty exhausted after having just finished racing one-and-a-bit grand tours with continual injury to ride a race he normally doesn't ride.

"Some" being the voices in your head? :confused:

Edit: changed "meaning" to "being".

rick james said:
dusty red roads said:
That was a joke I think.
P.S. Tinkov trashed Contador back in 2013 as well

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
rick james said:
dusty red roads said:
That was a joke I think.
P.S. Tinkov trashed Contador back in 2013 as well

i think the apparent dislike started when Contador left TDF last year. I read somewhere that some of the team mate were mad at him. After that everything just going from bad to worse.

Yes, Olga's done it before in 2013, and obviously things started going south before Lombardia, and the tour was likely a major factor, but it was after Lombardia this particular spate of public trashings began, first in interviews, where Lombardia was mentioned, and continuing now, many months later on twitter.
But the way he talks about signing riders as "buying" them, implying "my ownership", it's really no surprise, as we all know.

Re:

TommyGun said:
OK, what's going on with Alberto? I cannot even recognize him on this pic !!?

18011520_783353828492377_5332686748252110848_n.jpg

I hope he is not losing too much moivation :eek:

No matter how self-motivated the guy is, he's also human. He has to relax, which can only be good to his goals, as long as he doesn't overdo it. And I'm sure he knows better than everyone else what he is doing.
Just a cheat meal, nothing important.

wheresmybrakes said:
LaFlorecita said:
wheresmybrakes said:
Am I the only one thinking that pic doesn't look like Contador? Is it an old pic or recent? Looks so much younger (botox) :D
Samsung camera smoothes wrinkles when taking a selfie :)

No it doesn't, I've just tried it! :lol:

It depends on the model and on the camera software. My Huawei P9 Lite have a feature called 'Perfect Selfie' that softens some facial features.

Trek team for the Giro:

Mollema, Nizzolo, Alafaci, Bernard, Didier, Pedersen, Stetina, Stuyven, Hernandez

I guess that confirms Felline for the Tour, and no Jesusito. Maybe he can go as a mascot.

Contador
Degenkolb
Mollema
Pantano
Felline

De Kort?
Zubeldia?
Irizar?
Brändle?
Rast?
Gogl?
Theuns?
Cardoso?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, well, well... apparently Contador is not the only who can climb standing up for long time, now. Looks like Porte has trained to climb like Contador. He stood up all the way on the climb today. Watch out Contador. Hopefully, Contador comes out with stellar form for the Tour. The favorites are getting crowded now.

TRENDING THREADS