• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1760 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Trek team for the Giro:

Mollema, Nizzolo, Alafaci, Bernard, Didier, Pedersen, Stetina, Stuyven, Hernandez

I guess that confirms Felline for the Tour, and no Jesusito. Maybe he can go as a mascot.

Contador
Degenkolb
Mollema
Pantano
Felline

De Kort?
Zubeldia?
Irizar?
Brändle?
Rast?
Gogl?
Theuns?
Cardoso?

Zubeldia easily, if not just for the experience.

IMO, for the remaining 4, they should select Zubeldia (seems very certain as he's raced every race with Alberto so far), 2 of Brändle/Rast/Irizar and one of De Kort/Theuns.
I'd almost wish Trek would leave Degenkolb at home but that isn't going to happen, obviously.
Anyway, he should be well protected on the flat stages, in the mountains he doesn't need much help as Sky/BMC/Movistar will do a lot of work. He just needs one or two riders that can stay with him for a long time.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Trek should put Gogl in the preliminary Tour-line-up based on this spring. Great allround-domestique. I agree, that Haimar should also be included.
I agree, Gogl is very strong and should be considered for the Tour, but he's also still young so it's not clear how he'll handle 3 weeks, and I'd rather see another big strong rouleur instead of him. But actually I think it's quite likely he'll be selected because it seems Alberto gets along well with him.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Trek should put Gogl in the preliminary Tour-line-up based on this spring. Great allround-domestique. I agree, that Haimar should also be included.
I agree, Gogl is very strong and should be considered for the Tour, but he's also still young so it's not clear how he'll handle 3 weeks, and I'd rather see another big strong rouleur instead of him. But actually I think it's quite likely he'll be selected because it seems Alberto gets along well with him.
I'm pretty sure Contador is the reason why Gogl went to Trek, so yeah it would be surprising if they don't get along well. I think after the Vuelta last year Gogl said in an interview that it was great to rider for a guy like Alberto.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
IMO, for the remaining 4, they should select Zubeldia (seems very certain as he's raced every race with Alberto so far), 2 of Brändle/Rast/Irizar and one of De Kort/Theuns.
I'd almost wish Trek would leave Degenkolb at home but that isn't going to happen, obviously.
Anyway, he should be well protected on the flat stages, in the mountains he doesn't need much help as Sky/BMC/Movistar will do a lot of work. He just needs one or two riders that can stay with him for a long time.
Oh really, I would have never guessed.... ;)

Degenstache is gonna have a few helpers devoted to him down the line, nothing more. He can't win bunch sprints in the TdF anyways. If Alberto's not winning, Im sure it won't be because of Degen..

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Oh really, I would have never guessed.... ;)

Degenstache is gonna have a few helpers devoted to him down the line, nothing more. He can't win bunch sprints in the TdF anyways. If Alberto's not winning, Im sure it won't be because of Degen..
He's a pretty good engine as well nowdays, perhaps even the best at Trek at closing gaps. So if there are some crosswind splits, he could play a big role in helping Contador get to the front. Of course, that depends whether or not Contador can learn how to follow his team-mates wheel in the next couple of months.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Sagan did a great job closing gaps for Alberto at the 2015 TDF. Berto had no issues following his wheel.
Well, if he can do the same this year, then I think Degenkolb could end up being his most valuable team-mate. Certainly more potentially valuable than filling the squad with one or two more not very good climbers, who get dropped as soon as someone drops the hammer.

Surely Contador isn't so sad (™ Tinkov) that he needs Jesus to keep him company, rather than a couple of guys who could actually help him at some point in the race.

Obviously, taking more climbers instead of Degenkolb and De Kort would be senseless, the options are limited. Instead, they could select two more rouleurs that would be fully dedicated to protecting Alberto, and let's be honest, that's what he needs most.
What is clear is that he doesn't desperately want Jesus to be in the team, Jesus is riding the Giro and he wasn't selected for the 2016 TDF and 2015 Giro and TDF either.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Obviously, taking more climbers instead of Degenkolb and De Kort would be senseless, the options are limited. Instead, they could select two more rouleurs that would be fully dedicated to protecting Alberto, and let's be honest, that's what he needs most.
Like who? What rouleurs do Trek have that are stronger than and potentially as useful as Degenkolb and de Kort? Degenkolb is probably the best rouleur on their squad - he's a guy capable of winning Paris Roubaix after all! The key is to get the best out of him to help Contador at the times where it doesn't harm his own chances; strong and inspirational leadership from Alberto will be important.

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Like who? What rouleurs do Trek have that are stronger than and potentially as useful as Degenkolb and de Kort? Degenkolb is probably the best rouleur on their squad - he's a guy capable of winning Paris Roubaix after all! The key is to get the best out of him to help Contador at the times where it doesn't harm his own chances; strong and inspirational leadership from Alberto will be important.
This isn't about pure quality, it's about dedication as well. If you're serious about winning a GT, having 2 riders on your team with a different objective is a big disadvantage. A slightly lesser rouleur with the sole aim of delivering Alberto safely to the finish would be a much bigger help than Degenkolb.

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
This isn't about pure quality, it's about dedication as well. If you're serious about winning a GT, having 2 riders on your team with a different objective is a big disadvantage. A slightly lesser rouleur with the sole aim of delivering Alberto safely to the finish would be a much bigger help than Degenkolb.
I don't really agree with that. You said above how Sagan helped him at times. A lesser rouleur that could go instead just doesn't have the power to close a crucial gap or make the difference that a rider like Sagan or Degenkolb could do at a crucial part of the race. The only time an extra rouleur of average quality could be really useful is if Contador is in a position to defend the yellow jersey - or if he has to use his team to chase down an early split like Froome needed on Formigal stage last year. But, in either of those situations, I'm pretty sure Degenkolb would put his own ambitions aside and work for him as well. It's not like we're talking about someone like Cavendish here who offers nothing else and is a bit self-absorbed. Degenkolb is a very good all round rider and, by all accounts, a pretty grounded personality.

Of course, all that depends on Contador demonstrating on and off the bike that he is deserving of support from a rider like Degenkolb. Last year he struggled to convince his team he was a genuine contender at the Tour and worth sacrificing their ambitions for. He'll have to improve that part of leadership this year.

Alberto is currently in France to do a recon of the Marseille ITT. I suppose he'll also look at some other stages, but I'm not sure. He said he'll be leaving to Teide for a training camp soon.

23qt5y.jpg

2ypk7qw.jpg

nwjvpx.jpg

35kseua.jpg

(personalized Trek Speed Concept or new model?)

TRENDING THREADS