• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1784 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
He was dropped too easy but still was better than froome. I really have to adjust my expectations about contador but it is not easy. At least he didn't blow up and he is pacing a little bit better

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
He was dropped too easy but still was better than froome. I really have to adjust my expectations about contador but it is not easy. At least he didn't blow up and he is pacing a little bit better

Stop worrying dude, he looks fine.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
perico said:
SeriousSam said:
Encouraging. You can't expect him to equal Porte in the Porte Era but he was close to being the best of the rest
The Porte era? Will it last as long as the TJVG era after the 2015 Dauphine?
Porte is actually winning Dauphine, TJ wasn't

That Froome was a different rider than this one. I'm also talking about the "hot favorite" thing. He looks strong right now, but he's peaking early IMO. He's always been a talented rider, but we all know hes never had to deal with being "the favorite" for an entire GT where- fair or not- he doesn't have a great track record of living up to expectations. This isn't even like Cadel, who finally won a Tour at 33 or 34. Cuddles had proven himself consistently in GTs of contending, Porte hasn't yet. So while I wouldn't write him off, I'm skeptical he can win the Tour.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

bajbar said:
I think he went all out today - based on the face expessions. Looks like he took it a bit easier yesterday - didn't go into the red. So, like the TT, I deem this performance promissing.
I saw that too. Today he was really fighting in following porte. I would prefer see him only in froome's wheel

portugal11 said:
bajbar said:
I think he went all out today - based on the face expessions. Looks like he took it a bit easier yesterday - didn't go into the red. So, like the TT, I deem this performance promissing.
I saw that too. Today he was really fighting in following porte. I would prefer see him only in froome's wheel
Considering that Froome's wheel was behind, it's ok.

RedheadDane said:
Kwibus said:
RedheadDane said:
Dunno if it's a correct assessment, but Danish television have this little "theory" that if he's doing interviews in English, it means he's feeling pretty good.

The stuff people come up with. This has to be a joke though.

We will see in July how his form will be.

I can actually see what they build it on:
If you're struggling you might not have the mental "overview" to start conducting interviews in a foreign language, which you doesn't speak very well.
Of course it's entirely possible that Trek has a - somewhat strict - everbody must speak English rule, so he's simply practicing.
Practicing :confused:
He's been doing interviews in English for say 6 or 7 years - he has gotten better in recent years but to say he is practicing is weird to me, his English is pretty good, he just has a thick Spanish accent and sometimes makes grammar mistakes.

He prefers to do interviews in Spanish but for certain audiences he will do interviews in English - i.e. GCN or Aussie SBS. However on ITV he is often interviewed in Spanish by Daniel Friebe and on Eurosport too, of course.
I don't think it depends on how he feels although obviously after a stage when he is tired he would rather be interviewed in Spanish.

LaFlorecita said:
RedheadDane said:
Kwibus said:
RedheadDane said:
Dunno if it's a correct assessment, but Danish television have this little "theory" that if he's doing interviews in English, it means he's feeling pretty good.

If you're struggling you might not have the mental "overview" to start conducting interviews in a foreign language, which you doesn't speak very well.
Of course it's entirely possible that Trek has a - somewhat strict - everbody must speak English rule, so he's simply practicing.
He's been doing interviews in English for say 6 or 7 years - he has gotten better in recent years but to say he is practicing is weird to me, his English is pretty good, he just has a thick Spanish accent and sometimes makes grammar mistakes.

He prefers to do interviews in Spanish but for certain audiences he will do interviews in English - i.e. GCN or Aussie SBS. However on ITV he is often interviewed in Spanish by Daniel Friebe and on Eurosport too, of course.
I don't think it depends on how he feels although obviously after a stage when he is tired he would rather be interviewed in Spanish.

It's been pretty back-and-forth with what language he uses. Like you said, he - obviously - prefers Spanish, and most of the time when he's been interviewed by Danish TV they've been speaking that language. Of course these interviews recently have all been before stage start, so... obviously not tired yet. And maybe he just decided that the interviewer's Spanish was so ridiculous it was better to do it in English...
However, even if he's been doing interviews in English for years, he'd still need to keep practicing. Everybody needs to keep practicing when it comes to foreign languages.
What foreign language do they learn first in Spain?

RedheadDane said:
LaFlorecita said:
RedheadDane said:
Kwibus said:
RedheadDane said:

It's been pretty back-and-forth with what language he uses. Like you said, he - obviously - prefers Spanish, and most of the time when he's been interviewed by Danish TV they've been speaking that language. Of course these interviews recently have all been before stage start, so... obviously not tired yet. And maybe he just decided that the interviewer's Spanish was so ridiculous it was better to do it in English...
However, even if he's been doing interviews in English for years, he'd still need to keep practicing. Everybody needs to keep practicing when it comes to foreign languages.
What foreign language do they learn first in Spain?
I'd guess English, but I'm not sure. And I wouldn't be surprised if say 20 years ago they didn't teach English at all. Maybe a Spanish forum member can tell us.

So the theory is that since he is doing interviews in English at this race, he must feel good? I like that theory, but not sure it holds much water ;)

Of course everyone needs to practice, but I'd think in an international team English is the main language anyway :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure English is the main language of American team Trek, just like it - probably - was on Danish-then-Russian team Saxo/Tinkoff. However, on that team they might have been a bit more relaxed about whether or not he spoke English, but maybe not so much on Trek, where it would be reasonable to expect that he could do interviews for major American media in English.

Publicus said:
bajbar said:
Publicus said:
Red Rick said:
Is it true that Conti got a time penalty for something?

Apparently so. I can't find any explanation as to why

Taking food in the last 20k apparently. I don't think he cares much though...

What a fatty! :p I wished they'd be more consistent about rule enforcement
Just saw this - he couldn't help himself :p
It could have been a bottle as well though :p

TRENDING THREADS