• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1822 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So what do you guys predict for tomorrow (Stage 5)? I think Contador will lose a handful of seconds, maybe 15-20s to stage winner (Porte or Froome, imo). Aside from the opening TT (losing time), it's been a good Tour for him staying out of trouble. It seems others have had more of an issue this year. I hope tomorrow we see Alberto in good form!

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re:

benzwire said:
So what do you guys predict for tomorrow (Stage 5)? I think Contador will lose a handful of seconds, maybe 15-20s to stage winner (Porte or Froome, imo). Aside from the opening TT (losing time), it's been a good Tour for him staying out of trouble. It seems others have had more of an issue this year. I hope tomorrow we see Alberto in good form!

3rd or 4th place with +/- 10sec loss. I think he is on some good form which will only improve throughout the Tour.

Re:

benzwire said:

yeah great start, following your reasoning tomorrow he will be more then a minute down already...

Re: Re:

perico said:
Climber123 said:
I wonder if Pantano is able to eliminate Sky domestiques...
That's the major unasked question. For the high mountains Trek is now stronger than Movistar and I would say only Landa is stronger than Mollema Pantano train, judging by what we saw Pantano do earlier in the year.
Thomas and Landa are both stronger than Mollema and Pantano if reasonably fit (which at least Thomas definitely is)

Vino attacks everyone said:
perico said:
Climber123 said:
That's the major unasked question. For the high mountains Trek is now stronger than Movistar and I would say only Landa is stronger than Mollema Pantano train, judging by what we saw Pantano do earlier in the year.
Thomas and Landa are both stronger than Mollema and Pantano if reasonably fit (which at least Thomas definitely is)

Don't forget Henao

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

perico said:
Climber123 said:

I think Trek should go full-on attack and try to outSky Sky. Eliminate the majority of GC contenders on the first mountain stage. Aim to finish with minimum time loss. Then go for glory on Sunday.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
But Pantano is explosive, something Thomas isn't. And let's not forget the Pantano-Contador tandem exploded Henao in Paris-Nice.

You hit the nail on its head. Put everyone into the red so they pop. Didn't Porte also suffer on the last stage?

Vino attacks everyone said:
perico said:
Climber123 said:
Thomas I doubt. Dudes been on the tarmac two of last three days.

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Our guy looks pretty skinny, doesn't he?
DD6FCQyXcAE-4xl.jpg

With Sagan out, he is one of my last hopes for some entertainment in this race.

Re:

DFA123 said:
Is there a reason I've missed why Contador is at longer odds than Steve Cummings to win the stage tomorrow? He didn't get caught up in one of the crashes today did he?

Bookmakers expect Cummings to get in a breakaway, and if he does and it stays away, expect him to win.
Though, I do find a victory for Contador highly improbable as well

infeXio said:
DFA123 said:
Is there a reason I've missed why Contador is at longer odds than Steve Cummings to win the stage tomorrow? He didn't get caught up in one of the crashes today did he?

Bookmakers expect Cummings to get in a breakaway, and if he does and it stays away, expect him to win.
Sure, I guess that's a possibility. But all the other GC contenders (Froome, Porte, Bardet, Aru, Martin, Fuglsang, Quintana) are all shorter odds than Cummings. Seems a bit strange that Contador wouldn't be as well, even if it seems as though he doesn't do stage wins these days.

DFA123 said:
infeXio said:
DFA123 said:

Sure, I guess that's a possibility. But all the other GC contenders (Froome, Porte, Bardet, Aru, Martin, Fuglsang, Quintana) are all shorter odds than Cummings. Seems a bit strange that Contador wouldn't be as well, even if it seems as though he doesn't do stage wins these days.

Agreed. Froome and Porte having shorter odds I can certainly understand, but the likes of Bardet? Baffling - at this stage of the race anyway.

TRENDING THREADS