• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1823 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

infeXio said:
DFA123 said:
infeXio said:
DFA123 said:
Is there a reason I've missed why Contador is at longer odds than Steve Cummings to win the stage tomorrow? He didn't get caught up in one of the crashes today did he?

Bookmakers expect Cummings to get in a breakaway, and if he does and it stays away, expect him to win.
Though, I do find a victory for Contador highly improbable as well
Sure, I guess that's a possibility. But all the other GC contenders (Froome, Porte, Bardet, Aru, Martin, Fuglsang, Quintana) are all shorter odds than Cummings. Seems a bit strange that Contador wouldn't be as well, even if it seems as though he doesn't do stage wins these days.

Agreed. Froome and Porte having shorter odds I can certainly understand, but the likes of Bardet? Baffling - at this stage of the race anyway.

Anyway, I suppose he is unlikely to win the stage, but it was a bit odd. Thought I might have missed some kind of crash or other incident for him not to be grouped with all the other GC guys, but I guess not.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I don't know how baffling it is considering that Bardet won a great victory last year and is more explosive than Contador. Contador needs to go to the line alone, Bardet can outsprint against the right climbers.

He will get dropped on the way up it's certain, no outsprinting here.

May 20, 2015
Visit site

perico said:
DFA123 said:
Is there a reason I've missed why Contador is at longer odds than Steve Cummings to win the stage tomorrow? He didn't get caught up in one of the crashes today did he?
Nope. No crashes. Probably because the Anglo press has been pretty desperate to completely write him off as any sort of contender.

Same in France, Cummings and Berto are both @28

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, anyone has prediction for tomorrow? AC loose time? AC stays with the leaders? Froome and sky demolish everyone except Porte? AC usually attacks on the first mountain stage? maybe he'll wait and see? I hope Martin, Bardet, Aru just throw the gauntlet and go for it. Another Dauphine last stage will be good.

Jelantik said:
Well, anyone has prediction for tomorrow? AC loose time? AC stays with the leaders? Froome and sky demolish everyone except Porte? AC usually attacks on the first mountain stage? maybe he'll wait and see? I hope Martin, Bardet, Aru just throw the gauntlet and go for it. Another Dauphine last stage will be good.

I think it's the wrong stage for Dauphine like chaos. Porte and Froome are the obvious picks. Aru might be the joker but I don't think the time gaps will be much. One or two of the GC riders will probably crack. Hard to know how Contador will go but I'm sure a few questions will be answered re the GC riders. Could be similar to last time this climb was used with four of five riders getting a gap on the rest after the Sky train does it's job.

Re:

hulkhogansknees said:
Our guy looks pretty skinny, doesn't he?
DD6FCQyXcAE-4xl.jpg

With Sagan out, he is one of my last hopes for some entertainment in this race.
Gross, he needs to eat some more.

May 20, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
TheYouyou7 said:
LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Does not look like that in 99.9 % of other shots, unfortunately.
Yep. He doesn't look too heavy either but I think that photo is an exaggeration

What do you mean ?
that in other shots he doesn't look heavy but this photo exaggerates his actual shape

We'll what his actual form is very very soon.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Really looking forward to today. Think Froome for the win but I really hope that Contador can turn back the clock. The good thing is today for the first time in years we're going to see him with no excuses. He's not crashed like 2014-2016, he's got no Giro in his legs like 2011/2015, his form is much better than 2013, he's got a good team who are totally committed to him, he's had rest, his weight couldn't be any lower, no knobhead team owner etc....This is it, if he's not got it today, we can conclude that his decline is certain and we'll have to reminisce on a great champion who has entertained us for a decade with the most stylish and inspirational victories of the modern era

I think he would still have a Giro/Vuelta in him depending on the competition

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

ad9898 said:
Really looking forward to today. Think Froome for the win but I really hope that Contador can turn back the clock. The good thing is today for the first time in years we're going to see him with no excuses. He's not crashed like 2014-2016, he's got no Giro in his legs like 2011/2015, his form is much better than 2013, he's got a good team who are totally committed to him, he's had rest, his weight couldn't be any lower, no knobhead team owner etc....This is it, if he's not got it today, we can conclude that his decline is certain and we'll have to reminisce on a great champion who has entertained us for a decade with the most stylish and inspirational victories of the modern era

That's why I found it also a bit scary. It's really naked. But also if, let's say, he loses 2 minutes today, he could certainly bounce back in the latter stages due to his exceptional recovery. The yellow jersey would be gone, but he could still be able to create a beautiful mess. But let's wait and see...

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Based on how he looked in Longwy, he will lose something about 30 seconds on guys like Froome, Quintana and Aru.

His level is good enough for top-5, but not anymore to win the Tour. Maybe with the abandon of Bala he can reach the podium. That would be a great achievement for '2017 Contador'

Re:

Arredondo said:
Based on how he looked in Longwy, he will lose something about 30 seconds on guys like Froome, Quintana and Aru.

His level is good enough for top-5, but not anymore to win the Tour. Maybe with the abandon of Bala he can reach the podium. That would be a great achievement for '2017 Contador'
30 seconds seems like way too much

Re:

ad9898 said:

I agree with this. There is some question mark about his form this early (as im expecting a slightly better level for the second and third week) but today should give us a clearer picture then we have had for years.

Contador himself hinted about 2014 levels in numbers so the bar is set pretty high.

No_Balls said:
ad9898 said:

I agree with this. There is some question mark about his form this early (as im expecting a slightly better level for the second and third week) but today should give us a clearer picture then we have had for years.

Contador himself hinted about 2014 levels in numbers so the bar is set pretty high.

Well, he is not in 2014 shape. If he was, he would have held Porte's wheel on stage 3 easily. Without a grimmace even.

bajbar said:
No_Balls said:
ad9898 said:

Well, he is not in 2014 shape. If he was, he would have held Porte's wheel on stage 3 easily. Without a grimmace even.

Yeah, i mean, the Contador i used to know wouldnt say anything regarding his form and if he did he would be unsure of it (meaning it was lethal). But having said that i wouldnt make any assumptions about current level from that little blip.

Didnt look very convincing though.

TRENDING THREADS