• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1836 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
gregrowlerson said:
So much doom and gloom in this thread.

Brighten up people! Alberto is still in with a chance here; let's try and be at least a little positive until he isn't!

I am more excited than terrified about this weekend.
Agreed except that nothing about this Tour is exciting to me :D just going through the motions

This is me. Much prefer the shorter races these days.

I'm not going to claim he can make up 52 seconds. I doubt he can. But given that Froome is working with 50-60 more watts than Alberto given his size, it doesn't surprise me that Alberto can't match his TT or in a 3-5 minute effort at the end of a stage with one significant climb. The playing field is more even when multiple climbs are involved.

A higher watts/kg creates a bigger advantage the more vertical feet climbed. It is entirely possible that Contador has a higher w/kg than Froome, but was at his limit on PDBF due to the sheer wattage put out by the other riders in the last few minutes.

Porte seems to have the best combination of power and weight. Let's see if he can handle the multiple mountain fight tomorrow.

perico said:
On phone, so can't translate for here, but he sounds good here:

https://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/2017/07/08/tour_francia/1499511451_605746.html
Thanks for sharing!

panache said:
I'm not going to claim he can make up 52 seconds. I doubt he can. But given that Froome is working with 50-60 more watts than Alberto given his size, it doesn't surprise me that Alberto can't match his TT or in a 3-5 minute effort at the end of a stage with one significant climb. The playing field is more even when multiple climbs are involved.

A higher watts/kg creates a bigger advantage the more vertical feet climbed. It is entirely possible that Contador has a higher w/kg than Froome, but was at his limit on PDBF due to the sheer wattage put out by the other riders in the last few minutes.

Porte seems to have the best combination of power and weight. Let's see if he can handle the multiple mountain fight tomorrow.
Maybe. We'll find out soon! :)

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I agree with others that I have this feeling something isn't quite right and that he's going to lose a lot of time on stage 9. From his interviews it sounds like he's already accepted he isn't going to win. Hope I'm wrong but if it's true hopefully he can help Aru win :)
Also after this weekend the team should decide what to do - still everything behind Alberto or each for their own?

Aru is a good pick to take up the mantle from AC once he retires. He's not quite as angelic when he climbs, buts he's got the guts and heart to attack.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:
I agree with others that I have this feeling something isn't quite right and that he's going to lose a lot of time on stage 9. From his interviews it sounds like he's already accepted he isn't going to win. Hope I'm wrong but if it's true hopefully he can help Aru win :)
Also after this weekend the team should decide what to do - still everything behind Alberto or each for their own?

Aru is a good pick to take up the mantle from AC once he retires. He's not quite as angelic when he climbs, buts he's got the guts and heart to attack.

Froome already has that mantle

Re:

Leinster said:
At the Giro he had little to no team support in the later kms of most high mountain stages, so had to take on the whole Astana team on his own. By the final couple of stages he was just limiting losses to Aru and Landa, but did that pretty well.

He was 2 years younger then, and had the advantage of a big cushion from the very long TT stage.

In short, I wouldn't take many lessons from that Giro to apply to this Tour. They are very different races with different opposition, even if Aru and Landa will both be important players in this race.

Professionals and professional teams evaluates everything down from training to races (let alone bigger ones like Giro) so of course it is there in the calculation. Besides, Trek doesnt seem capable of dragging Alberto over a bridge so he can expect even worse backing this Tour then in Olegs team two years ago.

On this stage: he grimaces like in a torture chamber with one teammate and this during a moderate pace. Cant say im optimistic. Stayed close to the front though and seemed attentive.

Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:

Indeed :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well, at least Contador is saved by not loosing anything today, since pretty must a procession for the GC. But he's already grimacing behind his team mate in contrast to even sky domestique. They barely opens their mouth. Not feeling so confident about his performance for tomorrow's stage. He might get saved again if it ends up to be a negative racing.

No_Balls said:
Leinster said:
At the Giro he had little to no team support in the later kms of most high mountain stages, so had to take on the whole Astana team on his own. By the final couple of stages he was just limiting losses to Aru and Landa, but did that pretty well.

He was 2 years younger then, and had the advantage of a big cushion from the very long TT stage.

In short, I wouldn't take many lessons from that Giro to apply to this Tour. They are very different races with different opposition, even if Aru and Landa will both be important players in this race.

Professionals and professional teams evaluates everything down from training to races (let alone bigger ones like Giro) so of course it is there in the calculation. Besides, Trek doesnt seem capable of dragging Alberto over a bridge so he can expect even worse backing this Tour then in Olegs team two years ago.

On this stage: he grimaces like in a torture chamber with one teammate and this during a moderate pace. Cant say im optimistic. Stayed close to the front though and seemed attentive.

This, so much pain when there are still 50 guys there :(

arvc40 said:
Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:

True. By the time A.C retires it's unlikely Froome will be top dog (pun intended) though

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Berto grimaces so quickly, it doesn't tell us much.

Does not mean much at all. He grimaced all the way up that first wall in Tour of Spain 14 I think, finished well and went on to win race. Always grimacing

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

Carols said:
ad9898 said:
We just have to face up to the fact that just like Merckx, Hinault, Lemond and Indurain father time catches up and calls it a day on a great career.

I really hope we can postpone it just a bit, but it is happening in front of us I fear.... :(

We cannot make any conclusions from Wednesday and today. Lets wait for tomorrow?

arvc40 said:
Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:

Froome is in no way similar to Alberto. Aru is.

Climber123 said:
Carols said:
ad9898 said:
We just have to face up to the fact that just like Merckx, Hinault, Lemond and Indurain father time catches up and calls it a day on a great career.

I really hope we can postpone it just a bit, but it is happening in front of us I fear.... :(

We cannot make any conclusions from Wednesday and today. Lets wait for tomorrow?

Keeping my expectations low......

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:

Froome is in no way similar to Alberto. Aru is.

Got a feeling Froome can turn his hand to anything but does not need to. Hopefully Aru can become like Alberto 2009. I reckon Froome will win Tour when he is 34. Hoping Contador can find one of his best days tomorrow !.

Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:

Attacking with 1-3 km to go wont make you a Contador. As it is the only thing reminiscent of Alberto is that he wins stages and a GT here and there.

As for style, he is right there with Froome battling it out mano a mano looking the most awful on a bike. Good thing he got a nose job cause i suppose fellow riders wanted a piece of the oxygen aswell.

No_Balls said:
Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:

Attacking with 1-3 km to go wont make you a Contador. As it is the only thing reminiscent of Alberto is that he wins stages and a GT here and there.

As for style, he is right there with Froome battling it out mano a mano looking the most awful on a bike. Good thing he got a nose job cause i suppose fellow riders wanted a piece of the oxygen aswell.

LMAO!!!!

TRENDING THREADS