• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1839 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
This tour is already over. I don't care if contador makes second or tenth, I just want him in yellow in paris and he lost his biggest chance in 2014. He would have killed nibali

I am as big a fan as Flo here and trust me I would be ecstatic with a podium. There will be a realistic Giro win opportunity for him next year.

"It was a super, super demanding day," said Contador after finishing the stage. "There has been a lot of surveillance, and we have had a lot of wear. We finished ahead of schedule because we have gone fast all day and this is going to be paid tomorrow.

"The things that went through my mind about all the things that could have happened today, that could make you crazy. But maybe yes, people were thinking more about tomorrow, because there were 12km's after the climb to the line and it was more difficult to make a difference," concluded 'el Pistolero'.

"I did not feel bad today, but tomorrow we will really see how I am," he said. "Tomorrow will be another day. It's maybe the queen stage of the Tour. Pantano helped me a lot today, and we were able to pass the day with no problem, and now the goal is recovery for tomorrow."

Sounds like he himself is also a bit in the dark about his form

He's hyped himself in the past when he was bad, and vice versa. I really don't read much into it.

His plan for tomorrow? Do as little as possible until the final climb, then do as best as possible.

Simple truth is that this stage comes too early in the race to risk all, and frankly the stage would've benefitted from using an easier climb than the MdC as the final climb.

Re: Re:

Climber123 said:
portugal11 said:
This tour is already over. I don't care if contador makes second or tenth, I just want him in yellow in paris and he lost his biggest chance in 2014. He would have killed nibali

I am as big a fan as Flo here and trust me I would be ecstatic with a podium. There will be a realistic Giro win opportunity for him next year.
Not sure I could be truly happy with a podium. Alberto wouldn't be happy and it wouldn't add anything to his palmares. But with Froome looking imperious, I think I'd be satisfied with a podium. That would prove many people wrong as it is.
The Giro looks like a possibility to win for him. But that's for later. Hoping Alberto goes well tomorrow.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Podiums is for riders without charisma or panache, quintana comes to my mind. Thanks god dumoulin and aru have stepped their level to the level of quintana (climbing ability) and that little colombian will not win a tour in his career. Unfortunately bala went home and now movistar is sticked to this clone

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I am following all the race until now, and even if Berto is my favorite rider i think that he will no win this tour or even make a podium. Maybe a top 5. He looks like he just is able to follow and with accelarations he is dropped and try to hang on and rode is one tempo.
To me is sad, but i have to accept it. I would love to be confident about tomorrow but i think he will loose a few minutes.

But a race is always a new race, and anything can happen, you never know if a tactic goes well or a rider fall, or anything like that.

So, lwt´s wait for tomorrow, but it´s better not to have big expectation then being here saying he´s going to do it and then nothing...

Berto was the best rider of his generation, so he have just to accept if it´s over. Let´s enjoy the race, and i just ask ( if he´s bad form) to give us at least one stage the OLD CONTADOR.

OMG I go out for a few hours and come back to pages of emotional posts. I understand, we want him to ride like 'El Pistolero' of old, but it may be beyond his abilities at this point in his career. Wishing him the legs of his 25 year old self tomorrow. The heart is there. Vamos Campeon Alberto!

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I think (and hope) that people are being overly pessimistic. We have no idea yet what Alberto's form is: He tip-toed around the TT, and lost time on the last kick of Belle Filles (remember that until that last kick he had actually completed the rest of the climb quicker than anybody else), but he also lost time on the Huy in Paris Nice, which you could compare to that last kick on Belles Filles, and I remember everyone writing him off after Huy.. And then today people noticed he was grimacing and used that as a deciding factor - but even if you look at stage 16 of the 2014 Vuelta he was grimacing right up until he dropped Froome like a stone seconds later. I think people are over analysing, hopefully he will drop them all tomorrow, and hopefully I'm not wrong!

Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
Whatever happens tomorrow hes still Alberto Contador the greatest GT weve ever witnessed (and most likely ever will in our life time) to hope that he should be at his old strongest at 27 is not fair by any circumstances. The fact alone that his still up there in contension at his age and 12 years after his frist GT win speaks for itself regardless. Gl tomorrow and if ay any time in your career allthough he himself will never be happy about a good performance alone even tho its not first place, I would be happy for him if he is tomorrow. His aged just like Michael jordan did its only natural. GL tomorrow VAMOS CONTADOR!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
We seem to have started writing the eulogy of career...ha-ha. Well funny and not so funny. Its really like if we had a chance to see Pantano in the declining years, both much loved riders who have given us so much excitement. Tomorrow seems crucial to us fans...could be the beginning of the goodbye tour or perhaps, just perhaps, chance for one more Kamikaze

Re:

jilbiker said:
We seem to have started writing the eulogy of career...ha-ha. Well funny and not so funny. Its really like if we had a chance to see Pantano in the declining years, both much loved riders who have given us so much excitement. Tomorrow seems crucial to us fans...could be the beginning of the goodbye tour or perhaps, just perhaps, chance for one more Kamikaze

Honestly, my only fear is if he would be a non-factor in the race (which i dont think since he is still around) and even that i could cope with given everything with Alberto now is a plus as i see it. I really thought it was the end last year so we was given some extra years as bonus. Im gonna enjoy and live out this the sunset of his career even if i'll be emotional as usual and still have high hopes. A champ is still a champ even in decline.

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
His form since the Dauphine, looks worse than earlier in the season. Tomorrow he could lose 4-5 minutes the way it looks. He says he wanted a mild lead up to the Tour to have energy but he looks under trained. I hope he is hiding something.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I just hope he performs better than Molema last year (before he crashed). If Molema can dragged himself to the second place, Contador with his palmares and experience, on paper should be more qualified than Molema to challenge. If he sucks, boy, Molema would hate him since he went to Giro to give Contador a shot for TDF. I just hope that he doesn't get dropped by Quintana who already has a Giro leg. If he does, boy o boy, that means winning the tour chances will be slim to zero. (especially if we compare 2015 Contador. He can't manage to drop anyone let alone hanging on).

I'm still hoping for the best, but I manage my expectation. He has been good and consistent throughout the year, so it seems strange if he can't perform better? (so he either under training or don't know what happen after Pais Vasco). Typically, he used to have this aura of confidence. This time, he seems very subdued, It feel almost like an outsider looking in.

Re:

Jelantik said:
I just hope he performs better than Molema last year (before he crashed). If Molema can dragged himself to the second place, Contador with his palmares and experience, on paper should be more qualified than Molema to challenge. If he sucks, boy, Molema would hate him since he went to Giro to give Contador a shot for TDF. I just hope that he doesn't get dropped by Quintana who already has a Giro leg. If he does, boy o boy, that means winning the tour chances will be slim to zero. (especially if we compare 2015 Contador. He can't manage to drop anyone let alone hanging on).

Mollema finished 11th in the Tour and 7th in the Giro. Even with his disappointing form I would still favour Contador to better those results.

TRENDING THREADS