• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1840 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jelantik said:
I just hope he performs better than Molema last year (before he crashed). If Molema can dragged himself to the second place, Contador with his palmares and experience, on paper should be more qualified than Molema to challenge. If he sucks, boy, Molema would hate him since he went to Giro to give Contador a shot for TDF. I just hope that he doesn't get dropped by Quintana who already has a Giro leg. If he does, boy o boy, that means winning the tour chances will be slim to zero. (especially if we compare 2015 Contador. He can't manage to drop anyone let alone hanging on).

I'm still hoping for the best, but I manage my expectation. He has been good and consistent throughout the year, so it seems strange if he can't perform better? (so he either under training or don't know what happen after Pais Vasco). Typically, he used to have this aura of confidence. This time, he seems very subdued, It feel almost like an outsider looking in.

I think that is wishful thinking. I said before I didn't think he would be top-5 and I can easily see him being 7-8. There is a lot of guys I think can beat him. Why? I think he will be worse as the race progress.

Froome
Aru
Porte
Quintana
Bardet
Thomas (depending on how much work he has to do)
Chaves
Martin

Are all capable of beating him. Nothing is ever certain, but I would bet on Contador being top-5.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Walkman said:
Jelantik said:
I just hope he performs better than Molema last year (before he crashed). If Molema can dragged himself to the second place, Contador with his palmares and experience, on paper should be more qualified than Molema to challenge. If he sucks, boy, Molema would hate him since he went to Giro to give Contador a shot for TDF. I just hope that he doesn't get dropped by Quintana who already has a Giro leg. If he does, boy o boy, that means winning the tour chances will be slim to zero. (especially if we compare 2015 Contador. He can't manage to drop anyone let alone hanging on).

I'm still hoping for the best, but I manage my expectation. He has been good and consistent throughout the year, so it seems strange if he can't perform better? (so he either under training or don't know what happen after Pais Vasco). Typically, he used to have this aura of confidence. This time, he seems very subdued, It feel almost like an outsider looking in.

I think that is wishful thinking. I said before I didn't think he would be top-5 and I can easily see him being 7-8. There is a lot of guys I think can beat him. Why? I think he will be worse as the race progress.

Froome
Aru
Porte
Quintana
Bardet
Thomas (depending on how much work he has to do)
Chaves
Martin

Are all capable of beating him. Nothing is ever certain, but I would bet on Contador being top-5.

If anything he is likely to improve with his revised approach of coming in undertrained.
Porte will fade badly
Quintana won't have the legs
Thomas, no chance
Chaves will become a stage hunter
Martin is less suited to multiple mountain stages

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

cellardoor said:
Jelantik said:

Mollema finished 11th in the Tour and 7th in the Giro. Even with his disappointing form I would still favour Contador to better those results.

Agree, par for Contador is 4th or 5th with a good result 2nd or 3rd. Mollema is a 6-10th position guy. They are most certainly a level apart.

TRENDING THREADS