• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1902 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Red Rick said:
I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.
Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.

I don't think he was forced to ride the Vuelta. I think the team actually wanted him in North America. If that rumor was true, then it's the opposite of what you think. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be at the Vuelta.

Jspear said:
DFA123 said:
Red Rick said:
I don't know about this being a rift between Trek and Contador. If that were the case, couldn't he have gotten a one year deal somewhere else. If it were really only about the Giro even a pro conti team would've been possible.
Perhaps it's not a rift, but something has happened that has resulted in him apparently changing his mind in the last few days. Maybe he has been forced to go to the Vuelta against his wishes and thinks it would take too much out of him for next season. Or maybe he has sounded out other teams, and no-one was willing to pay his salary demands.

Whatever the reason, it seems a bit strange after all the signals that he was going to continue for another year.

I don't think he was forced to ride the Vuelta. I think the team actually wanted him in North America. If that rumor was true, then it's the opposite of what you think. I'm pretty sure he wanted to be at the Vuelta.
I find that difficult to believe. What purpose would there be in Contador going to North America for Trek? To do absolutely nothing in the Canadian one day races, to enter some really minor hillbilly crit, or just to have a few photos taken of him on Trek bikes with the Rockies in the background? It would be a complete waste of time compared with the publicity and exposure from doing a GT.

DFA123 said:
Jspear said:
DFA123 said:
Red Rick said:

I find that difficult to believe. What purpose would there be in Contador going to North America for Trek? To do absolutely nothing in the Canadian one day races, to enter some really minor hillbilly crit, or just to have a few photos taken of him on Trek bikes with the Rockies in the background? It would be a complete waste of time compared with the publicity and exposure from doing a GT.

Maybe that is the reason they wanted him in North America, at least they get some good exposure to sell bikes and shirts rather than watching their star rider fall down the GC rather than compete for the win like in the Tour.

wheresmybrakes said:
DFA123 said:
Jspear said:
DFA123 said:
Red Rick said:

Maybe that is the reason they wanted him in North America, at least they get some good exposure to sell bikes and shirts rather than watching their star rider fall down the GC rather than compete for the win like in the Tour.
So you think they would want to prevent the risk of him damaging their brand through racing badly? It's possible I guess. But surely his performances would be even more disastrous in the big North American one day races coming up - and he's not exactly the most charismatic person off the bike to send on a charm offensive around USA and Canada.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
One of my fav riders ends his career, not much to say about it, time will catch up on everyone, sooner or later. I am no youngster myself I started to follow the sport the last time a swede won the Giro ;)

His attitude, 2nd place is not good enough, was the reason for me to start watching him, it is easy to like an attacker. However, what I do like more than anything is his class, stage 19, Giro 2011 as an example! What others say about him is of no concern to me, I can only judge him from what I see with my own eyes, and the end of that stage is worthy of my respect.

Re:

Red Rick said:

I thought Trek was raving about the great feedback Contador was giving them about their bikes. It almost sounded like they would offer him a job when he retired.

Cycling Podcast saying

Contador still believed he could win the Tour in the Alps on the last week even when several minutes down
Also said he had decided to retire during the Tour and Trek told them at the Tour that their budget was tied up for 2018 (with Contador) and are now somewhat in the lurch with no big signings

Kinda looks like the retirement decision was not with Trek

De Jongh also said that the plan was to go for next year's Giro, but during the Tour, something changed about Alberto. I guess he didn't want to dedicate another year to training with no guarantee of success.
His brother said Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he can't win anymore, but other factors influenced his decision.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
De Jongh also said that the plan was to go for next year's Giro, but during the Tour, something changed about Alberto. I guess he didn't want to dedicate another year to training with no guarantee of success.
His brother said Alberto isn't retiring because he feels he can't win anymore, but other factors influenced his decision.
Yeah, it sounds like he certainly had the offer to continue with Trek, but probably not on the terms that he would have liked.

I think Trek should be OK for a year without a replacement. They still have Degenkolb, Mollema, Pantano, Stuyven and Felline - should be more than enough to win the odd one day race, a few stages in GTs and get a decent GC. Better to wait for someone good to be available rather than rush in and pay over the odds to attract a medioce 'big name'.

Sad but inevitable to see the news on Contador's retirement. Will miss his big heart and fighting spirit and way of turning races upside down. What a career! I hope the up-and-coming attacking riders will continue to fight against the robot style of racing.

As per the conversation in some of the posts above - I saw this in today's Cycling Tips daily news digest - assuming the report is correct - which appears to cast further light on Trek being willing to let him race/retire on his terms in 2018, i.e. after the Giro if he wanted, and that it was Alberto's decision.

https://cyclingtips.com/news/report-trek-segafredo-aiming-replace-contador-aru/ (may have to scroll down a little to find the article)

Here's the relevant bit (the article also says they're now interested in Aru).

==================================
"In the wake of Monday’s news that Alberto Contador will retire from professional cycling after this year’s Vuelta a España, Het Nieuwsblad is reporting that Italian champion Fabio Aru is now a major target for Trek-Segafredo.

"The Belgian newspaper states that the team had been keen to keep Contador and, if required, was willing to offer him a five-month contract for next season. This would have enabled him to race up to the Giro d’Italia and then stop. If accepted, this would have been similar to the agreement Tom Boonen had with QuickStep Floors this season, where he raced until the Classics and then retired.

"However Contador instead opted to end his career after the Vuelta a España. Lacking a clear team leader, the squad is now searching for another figurehead and feels that Aru may fit the bill. The fact that Segafredo, the team’s co-sponsor, is Italian is a factor, and so too Aru’s potential to win Grand Tours in the future."

Re:

dusty red roads said:
Sad but inevitable to see the news on Contador's retirement. Will miss his big heart and fighting spirit and way of turning races upside down. What a career! I hope the up-and-coming attacking riders will continue to fight against the robot style of racing.

As per the conversation in some of the posts above - I saw this in today's Cycling Tips daily news digest - assuming the report is correct - which appears to cast further light on Trek being willing to let him race/retire on his terms in 2018, i.e. after the Giro if he wanted, and that it was Alberto's decision.

https://cyclingtips.com/news/report-trek-segafredo-aiming-replace-contador-aru/ (may have to scroll down a little to find the article)

Here's the relevant bit (the article also says they're now interested in Aru).

==================================
"In the wake of Monday’s news that Alberto Contador will retire from professional cycling after this year’s Vuelta a España, Het Nieuwsblad is reporting that Italian champion Fabio Aru is now a major target for Trek-Segafredo.

"The Belgian newspaper states that the team had been keen to keep Contador and, if required, was willing to offer him a five-month contract for next season. This would have enabled him to race up to the Giro d’Italia and then stop. If accepted, this would have been similar to the agreement Tom Boonen had with QuickStep Floors this season, where he raced until the Classics and then retired.

"However Contador instead opted to end his career after the Vuelta a España. Lacking a clear team leader, the squad is now searching for another figurehead and feels that Aru may fit the bill. The fact that Segafredo, the team’s co-sponsor, is Italian is a factor, and so too Aru’s potential to win Grand Tours in the future."

Kinda blows the whole Contador delusional for $$$ argument out of the water.

Whatever... let's enjoy him while he will still be leading a GT Team at a GT. The squad looks solid for a Vuelta one. Im interested to see how Gueirrero performs in the mountains working for Bertie, and we know Jesus will be motivated as it will be his swan song as well. Hopefully Pantano shows more of his early season form, while Degenkolb was one of Contador's MVPs at the Tour.

where did all the fuss about kreuziger disliking contador come from?

all the greats quitting is always very sad as it makes us realize what an inexpiable thing the time is. it often feels like just yesterday admired bertie's illustrious attacks on galibier and whilst in several weeks we'll be following him in his last grand tour campaign. thanks for all you did for this beautiful sport, gran campeón, and have a happy civil post-career life.

ferryman said:
Carols said:
I am touring in Scotland and just heard the news... it is good I am busy! congrats to grande Campeon, one of the very best I have witnessed in the last 50+ years! Long may his Legend live on to inspire new cyclists. He will be sorely missed :(
Hi Carols, I tried to PM you but not sure it worked. Jist of it was, hope you are enjoying Scotland and if you are passing near to North Queensferry, I would be delighted to meet up and buy you a coffee/lunch and talk all things Alberto:) North Queensferry is just under the rail/road bridges about 8 miles from Edinburgh airport:)

Ferryman, what a nice person you are.

Re:

Ariane said:
Some say "Good riddance" - but it very triste to think that the Vuelta will be the last time we see Alberto race a bike: Certainly -a true gran campeón
I will miss him: might sound weird/creepy but he has been a big part of my life in recent years. Not just in races but also looking for news, photos, social media posts, interviews, everything will change :(

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
perico said:

this is by far the most emotional moment for me. It brought tears to my eyes.

2104 i think it's his best chance to capture the win. But it wasn't meant to be. And this year, after another crash, he finally realized that it was time to hang the wheel. The number might be there, but the luck has never been on his side anymore. This year has been a trying year maybe for his stature. I'm sure he would have wanted to win his races on his early season. But he has to settle with second place. And the icing on the cake is the TDF. Crash after crash. I'm sad to see he is leaving the sport, but I'm happy that he can walk away with a spectacular career. He'll be missed. Good Luck Contador.

Maybe just maybe Contador is retiring from racing but maybe not from the sport

He is so popular he could walk into any media job or ambassador role or PR role
He could work for ASO or RSC
Or he could just develop Spanish cycling at national level
Or he could work with any brand on developing technology

How's about a DS at SKY....joke

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Bennati: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXiL9UFAUKW/ benna80Mucha mucha suerte para la tu última Vuelta a España ha sido un honor correr con tigo y compartir cuatro años inolvidables!

buena suerte por todos fuoriclasse #bennaBenna80 Much luck for your last Tour of Spain has been an honor to run with you and share four unforgettable years!
Good luck for all fuoriclasse #benna

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Maybe just maybe Contador is retiring from racing but maybe not from the sport

He is so popular he could walk into any media job or ambassador role or PR role
He could work for ASO or RSC
Or he could just develop Spanish cycling at national level
Or he could work with any brand on developing technology

How's about a DS at SKY....joke
I mean I don't think it's likely he'll become a DS but it would be great. A rider with a win or die trying mentality who tells other riders what to do would be great :D

contador_attacks said:
gunara said:
Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
And sneaky Valverde posting a picture of a struggling Contador in 2013 with him on the wheel (I think Ax-3-Domaines?) on Twitter, whereas Purito is posting a picture of 2012 Alberto on Fuente Dé. Yes, the stage where he himself was robbed of his first and only GT :D

That was a beautiful and touching gesture by Purito.
Thats Purito, such a warm person with a great personality.. the end of an era, only Valverde can stop that in 2018.

Purito, sweet Purito. Ah, I imagine I will enjoy cycling very differently when all three of them gone. My cycling knowledge from before their era was very thin, and I think I'll be soon too old to examine the details of younger generation, so these three are always my superstars.

As for Alberto's 'decision', I just noticed it a few minutes ago, can't say I was too surprised, but still, it's one of the biggest names of our time announcing retirement, and also the athlete that have my emotional attention the most in this planet, I have to swallow it first before really feel anything

Boonen, Cancellara, Freire, Hushovd... We had the privilege to see these heroes in action.

Since you have the audacity to put Hushovd alongside those other names, I'll throw my man Paolini in, too :)

Back to Alberto and the Vuelta, hope the extra motivation of being in his last race do wonder, a serious wonder. Imagine if he wins this...