• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1905 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I don't think he cares much anymore, which I guess would be understandable.
Although allegedly he uploaded a file to Strava some days ago which collected some KOMs in the mountains around Madrid but I didn't see it and he seems to have deleted it now.
I think the same too.

I think it's a strange situation. I don't think Contador has a lot of pressure to win the GC, if at all. However, I think there is pressure to go out on a high note, and that is no small task in itself.

As for the instagram post, it says nothing at all. Contador did have his legs up, so it may have been post training.

One last thing I want to see, I want to see him going all out on the beard.

I dont follow Contador on instagram or wherever he posted those pictures, but taking a few snaps with his dog is no indication of anything really. Cannot be dancing up mountains all the time, especially not ahead of the 2 GT.

Seems more like expectation management than anything else.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Sharing an ice cream with his dog :) gosh I will miss him :(
DHRLD6XXYAkS5Ah

DHRLDQpXkAAko7X

DHRLAxcWAAAysxX

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXxqc4KlMSA/

I know. Me too. :(

It's going to take me some time to stop looking for him in the peloton.

Just watched the Cuitu Negru stage from 2012. Never seen Jesus that strong, he smashed the peloton, but holy smokes that attack by Contador around the 2 km mark was violent (just after Quintana went up the road for no reason at all at the start of the wall). Watching it I was sure Purito would drop, even a full genius Froome would have had difficulties responding to that attack. Contador wasn't amazing that Vuelta, but that particular attack was just insane. And Purito didnt give a *** on those 25% gradients.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Just watched the Cuitu Negru stage from 2012. Never seen Jesus that strong, he smashed the peloton, but holy smokes that attack by Contador around the 2 km mark was violent (just after Quintana went up the road for no reason at all at the start of the wall). Watching it I was sure Purito would drop, even a full genius Froome would have had difficulties responding to that attack. Contador wasn't amazing that Vuelta, but that particular attack was just insane. And Purito didnt give a **** on those 25% gradients.
Yeah, Contador was getting closer to breaking Purito. On the Ancares he was clearly better judging by how that ended, on the Covadonga he was waiting very long to react at one point and on Cuitu Negro he was almost done for. It spoke heaps and bounds that he couldn't sprint for much longer than a few seconds and barely put a second into Contador in the final sprint to the line.

It is nearly that time.

I believe in the possibility of Contador winning this Vuelta (yes, let a man have his delusions one last time). It is really difficult to know what his form will be like though. For starters, he has never ridden the Vuelta after finishing the Tour; therefore unlike Froome, we don't have any history here to go off for expectations. He has done doubles before though, the most recent of which was the Giro-Tour in 2015. He was 'only' 5th in that Tour, but the top level of the Tour is higher than the top level of the Vuelta.

How much higher?

This isn't 2015 either, and Contador's 2017 Tour form doesn't rank with his 2015 Giro form. But where his third week in that Giro was his worst, his third week in this Tour was his best. I am encouraged by the better form shown in the Alps and final ITT.

However, he needs to be at least close to his Tour form (which doubling up may not be possible) and to have Froome be some way off his.

Or he could have a lot of luck. And then there is that word: AMBUSH

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I just cannot wait anymore. I somehow also enjoy illuding myself to the absolute max, being fully aware of the potential disaster that it could be :D.
Vamos grrrrrande Alberto!

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
It is nearly that time.

I believe in the possibility of Contador winning this Vuelta (yes, let a man have his delusions one last time). It is really difficult to know what his form will be like though. For starters, he has never ridden the Vuelta after finishing the Tour; therefore unlike Froome, we don't have any history here to go off for expectations. He has done doubles before though, the most recent of which was the Giro-Tour in 2015. He was 'only' 5th in that Tour, but the top level of the Tour is higher than the top level of the Vuelta.

How much higher?

This isn't 2015 either, and Contador's 2017 Tour form doesn't rank with his 2015 Giro form. But where his third week in that Giro was his worst, his third week in this Tour was his best. I am encouraged by the better form shown in the Alps and final ITT.

However, he needs to be at least close to his Tour form (which doubling up may not be possible) and to have Froome be some way off his.

Or he could have a lot of luck. And then there is that word: AMBUSH

Lol yes I guess you can be delusional one last time.

You state you believe he can win, and then go on to give logical reasons as to why he probably won't win! :p

Great chance for a top 3 here I think for Contador. Lots of things in his favour: he's going to be extra motivated, he handles the heat pretty well, his form was improving through the Tour, the level of competition isn't that high and there are loads of chances to do 'ambushes' throughout the three weeks.

I'd make him second favourite behind Froome right now, maybe alongside Aru. I think the heat will be too much for Nibali, Chaves hasn't done enough miles this season to have a proper base yet, and the rest just aren't genuine contenders for the win imo.

TRENDING THREADS