• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1909 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pathetic was quite a harsh word. I mean, like Quintana, its hard to watch when they perform so drastically worse than what we are used to see. They shouldn't do that but they do and it sucks.

Maybe you are right. But I see some similarities to how Quintana's season in 16 and 17, very good in the spring but has trouble turning it up when it really, really matters. Well Quintana won the Vuelta, but still.

I agree that it is a sad sight to see. I don't necessarily think you can't be great in one of the spring races, but you really need to manage well. Given what Quintana did on Blockhaus, I don't think he was that bad, and crashes may have pushed him over the edge fatigue-wise. In 2016 I think he was too good too early. I think he shouldn't have done Pais Vasco last year. IIRC he was a bit ill then too. That drains you and slight after effects may linger unnoticed until you burn yourself out. Burnout is not consistent with with winning the Vuelta though.

As for Contador. I think he's self sabotaged a bit by racing so much and so hard in the spring. I think he could've done better if he'd done less in the spring, but I don't think he would've won. He burnt himself out in the Tour, and it's possible he's not recovered enough to do something decent in the Vuelta. I hope that I'm wrong though. Your last race isn't a good place to join your first grupetto. Mountain breakaways are the only thing I can hope for. I hope the crowds go wild.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea Contador's just getting tired by the long season I think, even though he is aging he isn't this slow on the climbs.

Looking at his results I see he hasn't done the Tour/Vuelta double either before and from when he did his Giro/Tour it seems he's a rider that really feels effects the in the next GT of 2 in a row and we see his level drop (like most riders though.) Maybe not the wisest to go out on something untested.

Anyway, first big climb of the GT so who knows, maybe his form will improve more than his rivals'. Either way, this doesn't surprise me, neither did his performance in the Tour. Last year should have been a reality check for everyone, but, quite (not) surprisingly, it wasn't.

Retiring with a performance like this doesn't obviously bode well for him (for his self-image, I mean), but I honestly hope he can somehow find the legs to drag his ass into top-10. Seeing this is the Vuelta, that may very well be likely, especially considering the long ITT later in the race.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Pathetic was quite a harsh word. I mean, like Quintana, its hard to watch when they perform so drastically worse than what we are used to see. They shouldn't do that but they do and it sucks.

Maybe you are right. But I see some similarities to how Quintana's season in 16 and 17, very good in the spring but has trouble turning it up when it really, really matters. Well Quintana won the Vuelta, but still.
strange and irrelevant comparison by and large. Quintana didn't win the Vuelta at 34 after dominating grand tours for 8-9 years.

Re:

lenric said:
Retiring with a performance like this doesn't obviously bode well for him (for his self-image, I mean), but I honestly hope he can somehow find the legs to drag his *** into top-10. Seeing this is the Vuelta, that may very well be likely, especially considering the long ITT later in the race.
I really don't think there's a difference between 12th or 9th.
A stage win would be much bigger than a top-10. I hope he realizes that. He needs to go out on a high note.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
Retiring with a performance like this doesn't obviously bode well for him (for his self-image, I mean), but I honestly hope he can somehow find the legs to drag his *** into top-10. Seeing this is the Vuelta, that may very well be likely, especially considering the long ITT later in the race.
A stage win would be much bigger than a top-10. I hope he realizes that. He needs to go out on a high note.

Both of those scenarios aren't mutually exclusive, fortunately.

lenric said:
LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:

Both of those scenarios aren't mutually exclusive, fortunately.
Possibly, but I think it's highly likely we'll see a repeat of the TDF, he'd have to be allowed to ride away or get into a break to win a stage. At least there are many opportunities.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:

But contador is a shadow of his golden years because he is old, meanwhile quintana should be in his "best years".

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:

Agreed. At the Tour there would be, but placings aren't as prestigious at Vuelta

Amazinmets87 said:
Jspear said:
The most recent CN article quotes him saying he has no idea why he was so weak. He hasn't felt that weak in a long time. Interesting. He will continue. There's so many opportunities...fingers crossed for a stage win.
I'm thinking it's a clinic issue

Don't bring that here. That's not the issue. He's been great after 2010. That's not his problem. His performances this year have been way worse than in previous years. From an athletic point of view he's simply older.

Shocked at the time loss for Contador. If he made his decision to retire during the Tour I wonder if the motivation is starting to take a hit as well ? Although you would think he would want a good finish in his home GT. Maybe just a bad day, he said he knew early in the stage it wasn't going to be happening. for him.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Amazinmets87 said:
Jspear said:
The most recent CN article quotes him saying he has no idea why he was so weak. He hasn't felt that weak in a long time. Interesting. He will continue. There's so many opportunities...fingers crossed for a stage win.
I'm thinking it's a clinic issue
It is just hilarious how I'm always banned for clinic stuff and this type of comments is allowed. (Now, don't ban me and him)

So Contador has finally ran out of gas, inspiration, desire who knows. The posters who still feel they need to post in this thread and make derisory
comments make me laugh. You really know *** all about cycling. Contador is simply THE best GT rider we have seen in the last 30 years, bar none.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
13/17 GT top 5s for Contador, 10 podiums. Remarkable consistency throughout his career. If he comes up short once it a while, so be it. Everyone gets a mulligan. Also, since 2012 Contador has won 3GTs. Let's not act as if he's been a second tier rider.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
He struggled so much today it looks like something was wrong. Regardless I will believe in something special until he retires as I highly doubt I'd follow the sport without having witnessed Contador (& Lance).

Stages 10, 15, & 20 seem like good targets if he wants to go for that.

TRENDING THREADS