• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1943 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
Anyways, probably what Contador did today won't change anything, no stage win, and no movement in GC either. :(
Just a waste of energy. I hope he doesn't waste more energy tomorrow so he has at least a remote chance of winning on Saturday.
Cheer up, 'waste of energy', what absolute nonsense.
Would you be happy if Valverde, after winning nothing for over a year, just missed out on winning a stage like this in the last few days of his career?
Yes it was a waste of energy, he got 2nd, so what, that means nothing. He got some time back on GC, but he won't finish higher than 5th on GC, probably even 6th. So what was the point?

LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
Anyways, probably what Contador did today won't change anything, no stage win, and no movement in GC either. :(
Just a waste of energy. I hope he doesn't waste more energy tomorrow so he has at least a remote chance of winning on Saturday.
You know the difference beteen tomorrow and Fuente Dé is only the final climb. He will not be able to sit in the bunch. Attack in Collado de la Hoz incoming :D

Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
I hope he doesn't wait for Saturday only to be 2nd or 3rd behind the breakaway or get dropped from the other GC contenders...
So, tomorrow more! Full gas attack from Carmona :cool:
Sure, let him waste energy so he can get two more top-10s before his retirement instead of one, diminishing his chances of a stage win on Saturday.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Contador is the great cyclist of this century!
And one of the 5 best in Great Tours of the whole History
In 2018 the Giro could be yours .... it's ait's a super class!

Legend!!

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
Agreed. That's his most impressive performance all season. Crazy to consider that a waste of energy, how could he predict that he would reel in Haig, Moreno and Alaphilippe, but Denifl would hold onto 30 seconds. No way he could have foreseen that. He played it perfectly today going for the stage win and improving his GC, but just got a bit unlucky.

And even though he didn't win the stage, he has hauled himself back in with an outside shot at 3rd place. Which would be a decent result with which to finish his career.

ice&fire said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
You know the difference beteen tomorrow and Fuente Dé is only the final climb. He will not be able to sit in the bunch. Attack in Collado de la Hoz incoming :D
I edited that before you answered. :D
And an attack on Carmona would be even more crazier and better. :D

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
Would you be happy if Valverde, after winning nothing for over a year, just missed out on winning a stage like this in the last few days of his career?
Yes it was a waste of energy, he got 2nd, so what, that means nothing. He got some time back on GC, but he won't finish higher than 5th on GC, probably even 6th. So what was the point?
He chased the stage win and was close. Ofc he is gonna ride, like wtf. Of course you can say in hindsight its waste of energy when he doesn't win, but then you can say that after every stage he doesn't win by that logic, right? Time trial yesterday, waste of energy. You are just pissed he didn't win and I very much understand that, but its utter ridiculous to say its waste of energy. He FINALLY showed how good he actually can be.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
jsem94 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Hope is not lost. Considering the record of Austrian indurance athletes contador might be the official winner of this stage in two months. ;)
Damn right.

Really incredible performance by Alberto today. Podium is well within reach. Idk, maybe even the overall if he stages an epic coup on Friday.
Come on, this is ridiculous. Yes, he was strong today, but no one really chased him. Something must go desperately wrong for those ahead of him for Alberto to end up on the podium and the overall win is simply never going to happen.
Nonsense, he dropped Lopez and Nibali et al tried their level best to gain time on Froome. Why did they not catch Alberto? He is in great shape and he will win on Saturday.

I am so upset because I missed the stage..and that a breakaway stole the victory from him..and that I am going to miss the stage tomorrow too. But ****, looking at the result list, it looks like that we'll have an exciting battle for victory the next few days :D

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Pennino said:
Supercombativo in the pocket even if some other rider attacks all the upcoming stages from km 0.0 straight to the finish line...
Who cares?

Doubt there's been registrated a Supercombativo/Supercombatif/Supercombattivo as rock solid deserved as this one anytime in the history of the sport.

Maybe each GT should name that price after him, but then award it ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY if really deserved. So for a rider who throws his balls out while being competitive in the GC as well as for stage wins. Not sure if it would be handed out very often...

Valv.Piti said:
He chased the stage win and was close. Ofc he is gonna ride, like wtf. Of course you can say in hindsight its waste of energy when he doesn't win, but then you can say that after every stage he doesn't win by that logic, right? Time trial yesterday, waste of energy. You are just pissed he didn't win and I very much understand that, but its utter ridiculous to say its waste of energy. He FINALLY showed how good he actually can be.
Of course I am saying all this IN HINDSIGHT. I thought that was obvious as I am posting all this, you know, after it happened.

LaFlorecita said:
jsem94 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Hope is not lost. Considering the record of Austrian indurance athletes contador might be the official winner of this stage in two months. ;)
Damn right.

Really incredible performance by Alberto today. Podium is well within reach. Idk, maybe even the overall if he stages an epic coup on Friday.
Come on, this is ridiculous. Yes, he was strong today, but no one really chased him. Something must go desperately wrong for those ahead of him for Alberto to end up on the podium and the overall win is simply never going to happen.
I find your lack of faith disturbing

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
Of course I am saying all this IN HINDSIGHT. I thought that was obvious as I am posting all this, you know, after it happened.
Oh god. Everything he has done so far in this Vuelta I assume is waste of energy then.

Please, I know it must be frustrating, but can't you at least appreciate its the first time we have actually seen this Contador on the biggest scene in years? Like seriously man.......

Re:

Climber123 said:
This is better than many other stage wins. It was epic and he actually properly smoked the other GC guys.
Yep. And considering he hasn't won a stage this year, it's comfortably his best and most memorable performance of the season for me.

He put a minute into Froome on a GT mountain stage. That doesn't happen every day.

Valv.Piti said:
Please, I know it must be frustrating, but can't you at least appreciate its the first time we have actually seen this Contador on the biggest scene in years? Like seriously man.......
You think I don't appreciate what he did today? Think again. I am just extremely disappointed and sad he lost in such a stupid way, because I am realistic enough to see it was his last chance at glory. Sure, there might be a 5% chance he wins on Angliru, and a 1% chance he wins tomorrow, I'm not going to hold my breath for that.

LaFlorecita said:
Cance > TheRest said:
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Sorry for being realistic. I guess, when I'm realistic when everyone is pessimistic as ****, everyone believes I am an idiotic fan, and now when some people present the most hysterical scenarios as actual, likely possibilities and I offer some realism, it's a "lack of faith"... :rolleyes:

You're just upset...it is okay, I understand.

It is unrealistic to believe he can win the Vuelta but gosh darn I'm going to enjoy watching him try!

DFA123 said:
Climber123 said:
This is better than many other stage wins. It was epic and he actually properly smoked the other GC guys.
Yep. And considering he hasn't won a stage this year, it's comfortably his best and most memorable performance of the season for me.

He put a minute into Froome on a GT mountain stage. That doesn't happen every day.
This is nothing on Nice 2017. He attacked from 50 km out that day and dropped all his GC rivals just like today and almost won the whole race.